British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Child support agency and Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/child-support-agency-oz-548869/)

tasmas Jul 24th 2008 11:34 am

Re: Child support agency and Oz

Originally Posted by formula (Post 6605276)
I'm the arse?

The "arse" is the person who doesn't pay for their own child.

30,000 pounds, handing over the house, buiying him clothes etc. Is not paying for his child?!!!!

I do not have a problem with his first wife. I have a problem with every ex who uses their child as a means to gain money. And not bothering to work cause their poor ex husband is working like a madman to pay for her luxuries.

So you have a mate who pays for everything. Well when he realises how much of a mug he's being, it'll stop.

Until you have experience in this area I suggest you go and do your trolling elsewhere.

mindblower Jul 24th 2008 11:55 am

Originally Posted by formula (Post 6605276)
I'm the arse?

The "arse" is the person who doesn't pay for their own child.

Men should make a contribution for sure, but the law is so skewed to women in the UK.....i.e that's why "Fathers for Justice exists"

There are a lot of good dads out there, whose access rights have been torn up illegally by women...each circumstance is different.

Thats it on this subject from me

:thumbup:

geordie downunder Jul 24th 2008 12:26 pm

[QUOTE=Wandathecat;6568687]Hi

We are going to Oz in Sept, my OH leaves behind 2 children which he has always provided for in full. Because we go without jobs we have told the ex we cannot pay her any maintenance until we do have a job and then the priortiy will be paying for plane tickets for them to come out once per year.

Of course she is not pleased but we cannot pay for everything, whilst we will give her what we can we also have to live.

Anyone in the same boat or gone through a simular thing?

Can the CSA take your through court in Oz?

Cx[/QUOTE

Unless things have changed then yes.

I missed a month or two in the early eighties and the UK got in touch with the courts in OZ and a warrant server arrived at my doorstep with a photo of me and a summons to appear in court.

Went to court and told them I was unemployed and they arranged that when I started work I would have to pay or my wages would be garnished.The money was paid into the court every month and they forwarded it to the court in the UK

Once I started work I paid until my daughter turned 16.Every time I went to the UK on holiday the ex would whip me into court there as it was all legal aid
for her .Nothing ever happened in the uk except they raised my payments once,that seemed reasonable to me as the money had stayed the same for 6 yrs.

Eventually I think even the legal aid lawyer got sick of her ,he turned up in the pub I was drinking in and said she wanted to take me to court again.He advised her to drop it.I think I ended up owing 100 quid and that was the last I ever heard as the daughter was 17 by then and the ex wanted the shortfall plus interest or something silly like that

Before the days of CSA but I would think it would be no problem tracing people,you should pay for your own children after all.

LoobyLoo! Jul 24th 2008 12:31 pm

IMO it is sad that some fathers are happy to 'go start a new life abroad' leaving their children (as in youngsters who are not yet adults) behind, no matter what the circumstances are with their mothers, they are still children and still need both parents in an ideal world.
It is even sadder to walk away and not even continue to pay towards their upbringing, imagine how this looks to that child, i know because i was one of those children and whether intended or not, to do such a thing, is infact abandoning. A phonecall wont make up for it.:(

Not having a go at anyone just pointing out the childs point of veiw IMO!

Wandathecat Jul 24th 2008 1:24 pm

[QUOTE=geordie downunder;6605539]

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6568687)
Hi

We are going to Oz in Sept, my OH leaves behind 2 children which he has always provided for in full. Because we go without jobs we have told the ex we cannot pay her any maintenance until we do have a job and then the priortiy will be paying for plane tickets for them to come out once per year.

Of course she is not pleased but we cannot pay for everything, whilst we will give her what we can we also have to live.

Anyone in the same boat or gone through a simular thing?

Can the CSA take your through court in Oz?

Cx[/QUOTE

Unless things have changed then yes.

I missed a month or two in the early eighties and the UK got in touch with the courts in OZ and a warrant server arrived at my doorstep with a photo of me and a summons to appear in court.

Went to court and told them I was unemployed and they arranged that when I started work I would have to pay or my wages would be garnished.The money was paid into the court every month and they forwarded it to the court in the UK

Once I started work I paid until my daughter turned 16.Every time I went to the UK on holiday the ex would whip me into court there as it was all legal aid
for her .Nothing ever happened in the uk except they raised my payments once,that seemed reasonable to me as the money had stayed the same for 6 yrs.

Eventually I think even the legal aid lawyer got sick of her ,he turned up in the pub I was drinking in and said she wanted to take me to court again.He advised her to drop it.I think I ended up owing 100 quid and that was the last I ever heard as the daughter was 17 by then and the ex wanted the shortfall plus interest or something silly like that

Before the days of CSA but I would think it would be no problem tracing people,you should pay for your own children after all.

Thank you, very helpful

Wandathecat Jul 24th 2008 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo! (Post 6605555)
IMO it is sad that some fathers are happy to 'go start a new life abroad' leaving their children (as in youngsters who are not yet adults) behind, no matter what the circumstances are with their mothers, they are still children and still need both parents in an ideal world.
It is even sadder to walk away and not even continue to pay towards their upbringing, imagine how this looks to that child, i know because i was one of those children and whether intended or not, to do such a thing, is infact abandoning. A phonecall wont make up for it.:(

We would much rather go and start a new life with them but as we can't we aim to create a life for them out there. They will be coming out every year, my OH will probably come home once per year and we have things like Skype to keep us all in touch.

I never said we don't want to pay for them and support them, all I said is that I want it to be fair. Both adults had them, both pay for them and support them without taking each other to the cleaners.

As for abandoning them, think thats a bit strong. My Oh loves his kids to bits and will do anything for them. There are plenty of parents who abandon their kids and only live 2 streets away.

As far as I am concerned the kids get the best we can give them and more and that includes all the opportunities the Oz has to offer them.

I started this thread and to be honest I am getting fed up with it.

Pollyanna can you please close it.

geordie downunder Jul 24th 2008 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo! (Post 6605555)

I disagree with you,it would be better to have both parents but it depends on the circumstances. The UK I left in the mid 70,s had no future at all for me,what was I supposed to do,stay unemployed for the rest of my life.There is/was no need at all for shipbuilding tradesmen on the Tyne.

My daughter was brought up to believe I abandoned her,and a right nasty piece of work I was.Every letter sent to her was forwarded to my parents as not known at this address.Invitations to visit Disneyland with my OZ kids were forwarded to my parents,same thing.

Every visit to the UK I was denied rights to see her even though I had visiting rights.Every country I have ever worked in she was offered a holiday all at my expense.

My ex took great pride in doing everything she could to stop me seeing her or keeping in contact with her.

My two OZ kids visited many countries and now live o/seas,my firstborn has never been anywhere,never left the village we lived in.Now in her 30,s by all accounts she is leading a very miserable life and still lives with her mother who still poisons her against me.

The only time I have ever been mentioned is when she was around 24 and out on a hen night with my mates' daughter,his daughter was getting married and him and his wife had been visiting us in Thailand.The 2 girls went to school together and in a small village everybody knows everybody.

My daughter had a beer with him and asked if my house in Thailand was nice,he said yes.She then said 'all the times he (me) came to England was he trying to see me(her)".He said yes, and it did put him in a bit of a spot.She said she wished she had spoken to me even if it was only for one time.

As it was a hen night and close to closing time he thought she was a bit drunk and probably would not remember the conversation when she woke up in the morning.The only time I have ever been mentioned.He says the ex often tells him what an arsehole I am if she has had one over the eight on her nights out.

I don"t think the child (ren) ever find out the truth,and it is probably better that way.I don,t see any point at all in anyone ever telling her the truth.

tasmas Jul 24th 2008 1:47 pm

I agree with Wanda, its time to close this thread.

The subject stirs up emotions and every case is different.

Those who don't respect others views and stories are striving to create trouble, especially those that don't read the posts thoroughly and jump on things that could be taken another way.

I apologise for getting wound up on my posts, and i wish everyone involved in this thread best of luck for the future.

I will be saying nothing more on this matter

Tracy

julesandco Jul 26th 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by mindblower (Post 6601993)

Won't have a job in OZ to start with and in rented accomodation -so tough titty ,find me if you can bitch!

That's a pretty shitty thing to say.

:blink:

killamarsh Jul 30th 2008 5:17 pm

CSA UK has no reciprical agreement with CSA AUS and there is nothing in the pipeline to do so. To do so would mean going through a lengthy consultation and it would have to go through parilament - a long haul.