Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child on Parents Passport

Wikiposts

Child on Parents Passport

Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:39 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

But people are renewing when they arn't due
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:58 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by hevs
But people are renewing when they arn't due
============================

Not sure why this is Hevs...........perhaps children need seperate passports for Oz?

They do keep changing the laws re this. Passport site mentions tighter security = constantly changing requirements. Indeed I was able to send "small" birth certificate [doesn't include all parent details] yet apparently in May you can only send "long" birth certificates.

So it seems Passport office perhaps keeps altering rules [sounds familiar to some govmt office we know maybe???]

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:08 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like people have had different experiences of this.

I've just sent an email to the DIMIA office in Adelaide to try and clear this up. As soon as I get a reply (within 5 days according to the acknowledgment that I got) then I'll post it here so everyone can benefit

To : Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre

Hello,

I wonder if you would be able to help me with a question regarding my ongoing application for permanent residency, or if not perhaps point me in the direction of someone who can ?

My family and I (myself, wife and 10 year old son) are currently nearing the end of the migration process to gain permanent residence visas for Australia. We are being processed under class 136, the skilled independent.

My son does not have his own passport, he is instead included into my wife's passport. This was standard practice for UK passports until about 1997, after which all new applications for passports for children have resulted in separate passports for parent and child. Any existing combined passports (i.e. mother and child on a single passport) that were issued prior to 1997 are still valid until they expire. This is the case for us as my wife/son's passport is not due to expire for another 5 years.

My question concerns the permanent residence visas. Will it be acceptable to include both my wife and my sons visas into their single combined passport or will I instead be required to get separate passports for them before the visas can be included ?. I have already sent the majority of the required migration forms to DIMIA and many of these included details of our passport numbers, therefore I would be concerned that these details would be incorrect if I were to now get separate passports.

Can you please advise ?

Many Thanks,
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

It’s a good idea to renew all your passports before you start the migration process. There are a couple of reasons to do this:-

1. The migration process may take some time. If you passport expires during the process your application will have been made under your old passport, and you will have grief changing it mid-application.
2. Once you are granted PR and have landed to register, you have 5 (?) years to take up residency. Again, if you passport expires before you take up residency you will need to get your passport and visa reissued.
3. Once you are a citizen and have been issued an Oz passport, it is still a good idea to have a valid UK passport. You use the UK passport when landing in the UK and the Oz one when landing in Oz. It makes clearing customs a lot quicker.

All in all, its just simpler to start the process with new passports.