Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Donating blood/organs

Donating blood/organs

Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Donating blood/organs

I think we've discussed blood donations on here before - the fact that you can't give blood if you have spent a certain length of time in the UK.
Well, can anyone tell me why its OK to be an organ donor but not a blood donor? I was talking to someone at work about being given the donor leaflet when I signed up for Medicare, and he saked how come its OK to do one but not the other?

I know theres a lot of nurses and other medical people out there - do you know where the logic is in it? :lecture:
Old Feb 24th 2004, 9:24 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Donating blood/organs

Originally posted by Pollyana
I think we've discussed blood donations on here before - the fact that you can't give blood if you have spent a certain length of time in the UK.
Well, can anyone tell me why its OK to be an organ donor but not a blood donor? I was talking to someone at work about being given the donor leaflet when I signed up for Medicare, and he saked how come its OK to do one but not the other?

I know theres a lot of nurses and other medical people out there - do you know where the logic is in it? :lecture:
Interesting Q.....

I would guess (not being at all medically minded), that the pathogen is carried only in the bloodstream. The would mean the risc is significantly lower with the small amount of blood that would be carried accross in an organ transplant? Dunno....just a guess and a wild one at that!!

Are you an organ donor then? I heard that you are one here automatically, and you have to actually state that you don't want to be? That true?
Old Feb 24th 2004, 9:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno about that Pete, they gave me a form when I went to do the Medicare thing, which I duly filled in and returned. Didn't ask anything about coming from the UK on it though.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to opt in to be an organ donor like in the UK. It was on the news this am about it.

I was on the Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow register in the UK and because of this I can register over here to donate Bone Marrow. Still can't donate blood though.

I think the problem with donating blood is all to do with the inabilty to screen for vCJD and because there has been a proven link between donation of contaminated blood and the recipient subsequently developing vCJD. i don't think there has been a case so far of anyone developing it after receiving a donated organ (could be wrong though).

Prabably hasn't really cleared anything up but...

Claire
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:18 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know the answer,

BUT

Is it maybe so that it's different between states? (if you are it automatically or not)

I THINK I remember my parents having it stated on their WA driving licences that they were donors (but I could just be mixing things up!!) ???

I don't care either way, they can have everything they want, though with somethings the idea is a bit wierd, but that's not important.

Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:04 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Well if they don't want my blood I'm certainly not giving them my organs...
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:08 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I gave blood in 97 before the restrictions came in place and passed out due 5 minutes afterwards. Luckily I wasn't the only one from work who fainted.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:12 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by claireg3
You have to opt in to be an organ donor like in the UK. It was on the news this am about it.

I was on the Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow register in the UK and because of this I can register over here to donate Bone Marrow. Still can't donate blood though.

I think the problem with donating blood is all to do with the inabilty to screen for vCJD and because there has been a proven link between donation of contaminated blood and the recipient subsequently developing vCJD. i don't think there has been a case so far of anyone developing it after receiving a donated organ (could be wrong though).

Prabably hasn't really cleared anything up but...

Claire

I think you've answered the question very comprehensively
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

I was a blood donor here for many years until this new ruling came in.

I was p*ssed off to say the least because I was one donation short of the 50 required to get my letter opener gift!!!

I am still on the bone marrow registry and have been called up once but wasn't suitable. I am a potential organ donor too. Perhaps the need outweighs the risk sometimes.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:07 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Organ donation, like blood donations is entirely voluntary. Answers to the questions asked when giving blood are truthful as far as the person giving them wants them to be.When you get or renew your drivers licence they put Y or N in the box for organ donor. Probably if you are dead they can harvest the organs quicker.

As to why the difference I don't know but as you know beaurocrats like to confuse us ordinary folk!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I ticked the box when I took my driving licence test to say I would be a doner, they then put you on the list. I had no idea about the blood donations though.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess at heart we aren't mad.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I donated blood in the UK and am disappointed I can't carry on doing so, especially when the adverts come on the tv asking more people to donate because of the shortage of volunteers.

As to organ donation, it doesn't matter what your wishes are, and whether or not you ticked the little box on your driving licence form, the next-of-kins make the decision at the time of your death. There was an article in the paper about it this week. Many people want to donate their organs, but if the rellies say no, it won't happen. Now that reminds me, I really ought to sort out some Aussie wills too.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:50 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
I ticked the box when I took my driving licence test to say I would be a doner, they then put you on the list. I had no idea about the blood donations though.
Well I'm not going to any kebab shops on the Sunshine Coast then....
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that even if you are on a donor register, you will not be considered for organ donation if you have lived in the UK for any length of time.

The situation with blood donation is crazy considering the number of confirmed cases of CJD, but I can’t see it changing until they come up with a blood screening technique for it.