Reload this Page >

Child Immunisations/ Rotavirus

Child Immunisations/ Rotavirus

Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road
Default Child Immunisations/ Rotavirus

Hi
Just been to the doctor today to updates my daughter's immunisation records, and he said she needs chicken pox (that sounds ok, I'm sure he'd say if it would react with the UK doses of the other immunisations), and she missed out on the Rotavirus one.

I've never even heard of this one!

He said she can't have it because she's too old now. I've done some research and apparently the child should have the first dose by 12 weeks, and the third dose by 32 weeks, so she is definately too old (she's 22 months old). (He said he's happy to gve her the chicken pox one which is for 18 months).

She was quite sick when we first came over, and the symptons were the same as the Rotavirus, so for all I know, she'd had it already!!

Has anybody had their child vaccinated for rotavirus a different way?
Does that mean we are not up-to-date with our immunisations so we are not eligible for the Centrelink Immunisation payment?

If anybody has had similar experiences, good or bad, I'd like to hear.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Immunisations/ Rotavirus

If your daughter has had any of the diseases already, then there is no point in vaccinating her as she will probably have a natural immunity already. Please, please, PLEASE don't be told that you HAVE to have the vaccinations done in order to be eligible for ANY Centrelink payments - that is absolute rubbish! All you have to do is sign a Conscientious Objection Form (should be available from your doctor or health worker - if not, try www.avn.org.au) and submit it to Centrelink. End of.
BTW - Your daughter will soon get used to the Aussie germs. She probably picked something up on the plane - many of us do and it sometimes takes a while to get back on top of little ailments. The last thing she needs is to be injected with more foreign bodies - give her immune system a chance to recover first, then decide. Good luck.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Hi, My son had rotavirus when he was one. It was hell - 7 days of sick and diarrhea Doc said at the time (british) that by 3 most children were immune. My daughter has never had it and she is over 3. Had no idea there was an vaccine for it...
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

thesmiths has a spectacular aura aboutthesmiths has a spectacular aura aboutthesmiths has a spectacular aura about

Hi, they offer the Rotavirus vaccine here in Dubai. I kept hearing so many horror stories about it that when I had my second baby (10 months ago) he was given two doses before he was 6 months (they have to be administered 8 weeks apart apparently). My eldest son (4 - born in UK) was too old to have it but apparently they are pretty immune from all sorts by then.

Hope you get it all sorted soon.

Teresa
x
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
If your daughter has had any of the diseases already, then there is no point in vaccinating her as she will probably have a natural immunity already. Please, please, PLEASE don't be told that you HAVE to have the vaccinations done in order to be eligible for ANY Centrelink payments - that is absolute rubbish! All you have to do is sign a Conscientious Objection Form (should be available from your doctor or health worker - if not, try www.avn.org.au) and submit it to Centrelink. End of.
BTW - Your daughter will soon get used to the Aussie germs. She probably picked something up on the plane - many of us do and it sometimes takes a while to get back on top of little ailments. The last thing she needs is to be injected with more foreign bodies - give her immune system a chance to recover first, then decide. Good luck.
it would be incredible difficult to claim to be a conscientious objector to just 1 vaccination but accept all the others.

Rotavirus is not a standard immunisation in the UK as it is not very common, if you want to have it in oz you can, there is nothing magic about the 12 and 32 week mark (just done early as it is most dangerous at that time, and to fit in with other immunisations).

if you think she's had it then don't bother getting it done.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=hereshoping;5800661]it would be incredible difficult to claim to be a conscientious objector to just 1 vaccination but accept all the others.

Yes, you are absolutely right, but for those who feel pressured into having their children vaccinated against things they are not sure about, then this is an option.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:13 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into this with my second child whom was born in Oz. At the time we had to pay for it, but since about May 2007 it has been covered by medicare. There are 2 different companies that produce the vaccination (Rotarix & Rotatek). From memory deciding which one is suitable will depend on your intentions mainly regarding how early you choose to place your child in childcare (as contact with many other children is when gastroentertis is most likely to spread).

As I am not a Dr, best look at govermental website or Dr for more info
http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/in...avirus-parents

Last edited by walaj; Jan 17th 2008 at 9:17 pm. Reason: better link
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:30 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolk
Hi
Has anybody had their child vaccinated for rotavirus a different way?
Does that mean we are not up-to-date with our immunisations so we are not eligible for the Centrelink Immunisation payment?

If anybody has had similar experiences, good or bad, I'd like to hear.
From http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/in...virus-provider

"Rationale for recommended ages
Administration of a course of rotavirus immunisation is recommended as part of the routine National Immunisation Program in the first 6 months of life.

Immunisation of older infants and children is not recommended as there is currently inadequate safety data and theoretical concerns regarding use in older age groups.

The efficacy and safety of both rotavirus vaccines, Rotarix® and RotaTeq®, have been evaluated in large clinical trials in which infants received the vaccines within specified age limits. Consequently, both brands are recommended by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) for use in Australia, but only in babies between 2 to 6 months of age."

My first child was part of a study in the UK with a vaccination there - that part of the study was checking that there were no side effects when combined with other vaccinations (eg reaction from my child after the vaccinations or reduced the effectiveness of the other vaccinations). So given this and the above text, as it is not been trialled on older babies, would be the reason you would be unable to get around the cut off age in Australia.

As regard to not being up to date with vaccinations for the payment, you can make the claim with a explaination. As we had to catch up with some vaccinations upon arriving in Oz, one vaccination was done after my DD turned 2 as there needed to be so much time between each vaccination. This was acceptable reason and we got our payment.

Last edited by walaj; Jan 17th 2008 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone for your opinions and stories.
I think I will do what what you said walaj, just write an explanation for not having her immunised against rotavirus.
If that doesn't work then I will take the conscientous objector option.

Thanks everybody for putting my mind at ease

Last edited by carolk; Jan 17th 2008 at 10:09 pm. Reason: my o button didn't work!