Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child friendly airlines?

Child friendly airlines?

Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default Child friendly airlines?

Hi, we are looking for any advice on airlines. We should be flying to Brissy in Jan 06, self,hubby,3 year old & 20 month old. Has anyone any freedback on what it will be like on the flight? Any tips would be welcome. Will only be getting a one-way ticket,so don't mind paying a little extra to make the trip a little easier for the kiddies.

Cheers.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:23 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child friendly airlines?

Originally Posted by woogle
Hi, we are looking for any advice on airlines. We should be flying to Brissy in Jan 06, self,hubby,3 year old & 20 month old. Has anyone any freedback on what it will be like on the flight? Any tips would be welcome. Will only be getting a one-way ticket,so don't mind paying a little extra to make the trip a little easier for the kiddies.

Cheers.

First class is cool.

Never done it myself, but looks cool, expensive but
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:36 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers.
I think that you will find that most of the 'regular' airlines are child friendly, however, the same cannot be said for the passengers! There is nothing like flying first or business class with a child/ren. The looks you will get as you board will be priceless!!!!!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore Airlines, every time.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:43 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
depends on what you call a little extra - i was pricing Business class vs Cattle class for my family (same age children too) - i think there was about £10000 difference, we can afford it but i would rather buy a car!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Cheers.
Hello

Have a look at Emirates. I travel it every time (and I have done so for some years). You can break the trip into 3 seven hour (approx) journeys with a short stop in both Dubai and Singapore (this is a refuelling stop).

Gives you enough time to get off, bit of a run for the kids and then back onto the plane. Plus speaking from long experience (I am an Aussie in the UK who regularly goes home) the 14 hour haul is a killer for adults, I cannot imagine what it is like for an little one!!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:55 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Cheers.

I've flown BA/Quantas with a little one....staff were rude, unhelpful, and even made him wait till they served the whole cabin before they came with his child meal....he was just one at the time and nearly screamed the cabin down. One stewardess even asked me why he was still getting warm milk at his age!!!!!! As you can imagine they pissed me off somewhat!!

Most child friendly I have been on with my my little was Singapore and Malaysian...

I'm lucky cos my son usually sleeps for most of the journey...can be a nightmare though if they don't!

Good luck...
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:05 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.

I flew with cathy pacific, very very good with my kids, good standard childrens meals, good activity packs. Also very friendly staff towards us as well......One snag, you have to stop in Hong Kong and thats not so good i'm afraid!
My wife bought my kids Phenergan, which is a travel sickness and relaxant, doesn't do them any harm, but helps them to relax and sleep on which is a very exciting time for any kid....And believe me WE needed them to have that nap as much as they needed it
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
I have just come over with NZ airlines and they were excellent. The couple infront of me had a small baby and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. I was travelling with my mother and 4 kids as my husband went on ahead and I was dreading it, but I must say that I wouldn't hesitate in using them again.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew with Singapore last year with a 5 and 7 year old. 7 year old didn't think much of food but service was good. Just make sure you take plenty of nibbles for them to eat and plenty to keep them occupied since they do have nintendo's (or whatever they are in the seats) but these seem to be more for older children. Also got goody pack and the stewardess's were brill.

Would definitely fly with them again.

The journey going down seems to go a lot faster than the one coming back (at least your only going one way). Singapore Airport has lots of shops and also has a play area.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

We flew with Emirates with our then 2yr old and 6 yr old, they were very good despite my 2 yr old screaming non stop from london to dubai (the journey from hell) My eldest was well occupied with the computer games and films in the back of the seats , staff on plane couldn't do enough for us however i think they would rather of opened the door and kicked my daughter out of the plane!!!! :scared: We only had an hour and half at Dubai and did not want to get back on the plane, at that moment in time I would have given anything to have had a stop over and continued the journey the following day. We too tried phenegan but had been warned by our gp that it does not work for every child,it sure as hell didnt work for ours!!!! My advice would be whichever airline you choose if it is possible have a stop over and if you try phenegin try it at home to see how your child reacts with it before you fly, but i can recommend emirates we where very happy with them . the flight from to dubai to perth was a little easier as she was by then exhausted. Hope this helps
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:15 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Try and get an early evening flight with Singapore Airlines. Should be around 3 hours of wriggling and then they'll sleep the majority of the trip.

Request a bulk head seat. We found with this amount of leg room our 3 year old could play on the floor, and our baby (when he was worn out) slept for 9 hours in the latch-on cot.

Stewardesses were wonderful, toy packs, kid's food, and above all, the warmth and tenderness towards the nippers, which in turn makes you feel reassured as a parent.

If you're not bothered about seeing Singapore, I'd thoroughly recommend a stopover at the hotel airport for one night. It's actually in the terminal building, so no farting around with collecting any luggage and waiting for a taxi. And the airport itself is wonderful. Lovely shops, clean, piped music everywhere, and a relaxed atmosphere. Big amusement/play area for the kids. Just gives you the chance of a shower, bed and recharge for the onward flight.

The other benefit of having the stopover is it gives you a head start on adjusting to the Aussie time difference before you get there. A family room isn't that dear, so all in all, we found it well worth it.

Good luck, and don't worry. We found the thought of the journey far worse than the journey itself.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Originally Posted by wargod
depends on what you call a little extra - i was pricing Business class vs Cattle class for my family (same age children too) - i think there was about £10000 difference, we can afford it but i would rather buy a car!

OH MY GOD £10K more? Looks like we're going with the Cattle!

Thanks to everyone who's replied to this post, it's all been useful.
Must say this forum is just the bees knees!

Cheers again.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:45 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

I'd recommend Singapore, like many others. They have been great each time we've flown with the kids.

My best friend has just arrived using Emirates with no stop over, no phenergan etc and found it a breeze. Or, at least, loads better than she anticipated. (kids aged 1 and 3).

You know your kids best - live wires will be live wires whichever airline you fly, but caring steward/stewardesses do help.

I would highly recommend bringing your car seat if you have a young one with a seat. Especially if your kids are used to longish car journeys. Then, it feels like nothing special to them, and they sleep well in a familiar seat. It feels really cumbersome (sp?) for the time you are checking in etc but once its strapped in place, you'll be glad you bothered.

Good luck.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would highly recommend bringing your car seat if you have a young one with a seat. Especially if your kids are used to longish car journeys. Then, it feels like nothing special to them, and they sleep well in a familiar seat. It feels really cumbersome (sp?) for the time you are checking in etc but once its strapped in place, you'll be glad you bothered.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know you could do that,soubds ideal. We were going to try & sell it before we go,but would be great if it can go on the plane,then we don't have to bother with a new one when we land. Brill!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.