Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child car seats in WA

Child car seats in WA

Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough
Question Child car seats in WA

We are heading to Perth in January (if and when the house sells!) and just wondering if anybody knows the law on child car seats?

- it has all just changed here and children need to stay in a booster seat now until they are 12. So we are thinking of buying anther booster for the other car to stop us having to swap it over a couple of times a week (lazy I know ).

Our children are 3 and a half (very important - the half) and 6.

Also anybody any experience of taking booster seats on the plane, I mean checking them in!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:23 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child car seats in WA

in simple terms...

'Children under 1 year old must be restrained in a suitable approved child restraint.

Children aged 1 to 15 years must be restrained in a suitable approved child restraint, or occupy a seating position fitted with a suitable seatbelt if one is available.

If the vehicle has 2 or more rows of seats, the child must not be in the front row of seats unless restrained in a suitable approved child restraint or occupying a seating position fitted with a seatbelt.

Australian child restraints must be fitted with a top tether which is attached to a suitable mounting point on the vehicle. The use of European child restraints without a top tether is, therefore, illegal.'

Source

i plan to replace my childrens seats when i get to oz.
If you need a booster in the meatime in the uk have you should be able to pick up a second hand one a lot cheaper than a new one.

Tiggs

EDIT: just found this too..

When can children come out of the booster and into an adult seat belt?

* Once your child’s eyes are level with the top of the back seat or the child is 26 kg or over.
* Lap/sash seat belts offer greater protection than lap belts, but they must fit correctly.
* A seat belt fits correctly if the lap part is low over the pelvis (not the stomach) and the sash does not touch the child’s face or neck and all slack is removed.

source

Last edited by Tiggs+Graz; Sep 19th 2006 at 7:27 am.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Child car seats in WA

We have to sell our daughters car seat as it would be deemed illegal in WA. Have already bought a new one from Target, with aid of friends help in WA.

You can see the Fisher Price ones in their catalogues every now and then online.
They sell for $299 but often go on special for $199. The seats must be bolted to the mainframe of the car. not like ours in UK where we mostly just use seatbelt attachment only.