Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A child born in Australia - question

A child born in Australia - question

Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default A child born in Australia - question

Hi All,

Just wondering our daughter was born here and we want to now apply for her British passport. Do we have to register her as a British Citizen before doing so ?

Thanks in advance

Carrianne
Old Jan 12th 2008, 11:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A child born in Australia - question

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi All,

Just wondering our daughter was born here and we want to now apply for her British passport. Do we have to register her as a British Citizen before doing so ?
Was at least one parent born in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man?

And when was your daughter born?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think you need to register her, just apply for a passport through the High Commission. There's loads of info on their site about passports etc.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njk435
I don't think you need to register her, just apply for a passport through the High Commission.
Depends on circumstances.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we were Australian citizens when our daughter was born to us and both parents British by birth.
However Mr P was British by descent - he was born outside UK to a British father- so could not pass on his 'Britishness' to our daughter. However I was Brit born in UK, so she got her passport through me.
We did not have to register her- just supply all relevant docs (showing I was a Brit born in UK) and huge fee and sent off application.
If you google for British High Commission you will get the website in Canberra which has all req forms.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Pomster
we were Australian citizens when our daughter was born to us and both parents British by birth.
However Mr P was British by descent - he was born outside UK to a British father- so could not pass on his 'Britishness' to our daughter.
That's one of the circumstances where it may be possible to register the child as British (if child isn't a citizen based on the other parent) if certain additional criteria are met. But there is a time limit to apply and many people miss out.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

We are both from the UK and have now got dual citizenship, my daughter was born last year here in Oz.

When I go on the passport website and read the passport application and all the forms, it doesn't say I need to register her. As it cost over a $1000
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We are both from the UK and have now got dual citizenship, my daughter was born last year here in Oz.

When I go on the passport website and read the passport application and all the forms, it doesn't say I need to register her. As it cost over a $1000
This is the same situation for us, I would also like to know if I have to register my daughter as a British citizen.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

Hi,

When I go on the passport website and read the passport application and all the forms, it doesn't say I need to register her.
If when you say "from the UK" you mean born in the UK, you don't have to register her (in fact you can't because citizenship is automatic). Just apply for her British passport.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes born and thank you.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pomster
However Mr P was British by descent - he was born outside UK to a British father- so could not pass on his 'Britishness' to our daughter. However I was Brit born in UK, so she got her passport through me.
We did not have to register her- just supply all relevant docs (showing I was a Brit born in UK) and huge fee and sent off application.
If you google for British High Commission you will get the website in Canberra which has all req forms.
I found this website most confusing hence me checking on here
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

We have dual UK/Aust citizenship. We wanted to get UK passports for our kids but we are waiting until we visit the UK to do this. One thing to watch out for - if your kids get British passports here in Australia they will be classed as 'British by descent' and will not be able to pass on their citizenship to their children. If they apply for passports while you are "residing" in the UK they get full UK citizenship. So we plan to go back to the UK for an extended stay at some point to do that.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael_w
We have dual UK/Aust citizenship. We wanted to get UK passports for our kids but we are waiting until we visit the UK to do this. One thing to watch out for - if your kids get British passports here in Australia they will be classed as 'British by descent' and will not be able to pass on their citizenship to their children. If they apply for passports while you are "residing" in the UK they get full UK citizenship. So we plan to go back to the UK for an extended stay at some point to do that.
Your kids being British by descent needn't be a drama for your future grandkids, as things stand at the moment. Ancestry visa is the answer.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by michael_w
That is wrong. The place where they are first issued passports is irrelevant with respect to whether they are British "by descent" or otherwise.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

mississippi is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH was born in the UK - left in the 90's and we have just applied and got British passports for our Australian born children. The UK passport website info and the form is confusing because it does mention "registering" but we did not register them, qw only had to supply the relevant documentation (proof of who we are etc, marriage docs) and send the payment. Hardest thing was trying to get the photos as the UK now have the biometrics and the sizes are different from those required for an Australian passport, so it was hard to find a photographer here in Australia who could do the correct sizes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.