Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

child benifit/tax credit etc etc

child benifit/tax credit etc etc

Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default child benifit/tax credit etc etc

Hi guys im going to get some new threads up fresh ones so i can,gather as much info as i can print and keep for reference later.
Well im on my last year of my pr visa i know should have been over there by now but its just not been the right time to go.
I will be going before my visa expires,august next yr.
Im in the final stages of completing wife's visa,has been on hold really until our baby was born now that she has arrived we can now apply for baby's passport,get wife's meds and baby's meds etc booked and play the waiting game on them getting the visa granted.

I know im not there yet,but here in the uk we get child benifit regardless what the parents earn,there are probably other things,well my wife and i are not sure if we would get anything else,probably due to my earnings we dont,not even looked into it.

What i wanted to know is i was reading this older thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=child+benifit

I thought when you went over there you just did not get any help at all for first 2 yrs,this thread was back in 2009 has anything changed?
As my wife will be looking after baby full time and i will be the only one earning what are we able to get?
Well i will not be earning right away until i find a job when i get there and i will not know how much i will earn.

I read you can maybe get:
family benifit
rent assistance(we would probably need to rent at first)
child care benifit
child care rebate.
net medical expenses tax offset.

As we will be moving over there and will have so much to deal with sort out etc etc and any help we can get towards our costs will be good for us.

I thought as said in the thread i posted above before you got anything you had to be in australia 2 yrs has this changed?

If anyone can give us info advise,and break this down for us as just goes over my head right now.

Also i read about a ftb account with westpac is this still around and what are the benifits of this?For paying benifits into?i am already with westpac is this only an account for that?

thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child benifit/tax credit etc etc

Originally Posted by brian.w
Hi guys im going to get some new threads up fresh ones so i can,gather as much info as i can print and keep for reference later.
Well im on my last year of my pr visa i know should have been over there by now but its just not been the right time to go.
I will be going before my visa expires,august next yr.
Im in the final stages of completing wife's visa,has been on hold really until our baby was born now that she has arrived we can now apply for baby's passport,get wife's meds and baby's meds etc booked and play the waiting game on them getting the visa granted.

I know im not there yet,but here in the uk we get child benifit regardless what the parents earn,there are probably other things,well my wife and i are not sure if we would get anything else,probably due to my earnings we dont,not even looked into it.

What i wanted to know is i was reading this older thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=child+benifit

I thought when you went over there you just did not get any help at all for first 2 yrs,this thread was back in 2009 has anything changed?
As my wife will be looking after baby full time and i will be the only one earning what are we able to get?
Well i will not be earning right away until i find a job when i get there and i will not know how much i will earn.

I read you can maybe get:
family benifit
rent assistance(we would probably need to rent at first)
child care benifit
child care rebate.
net medical expenses tax offset.

As we will be moving over there and will have so much to deal with sort out etc etc and any help we can get towards our costs will be good for us.

I thought as said in the thread i posted above before you got anything you had to be in australia 2 yrs has this changed?

If anyone can give us info advise,and break this down for us as just goes over my head right now.

Also i read about a ftb account with westpac is this still around and what are the benifits of this?For paying benifits into?i am already with westpac is this only an account for that?

thanks in advance.
Yes the info is still current, there are certain benefits for families that are available straightaway but beware, they are means tested so you have to estimate what your income will be or you end up repaying a lot at the end of the tax year!
Lots of threads on Family Tax Benefit that are more recent than that one It comes up regularly.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

livvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: child benifit/tax credit etc etc

If you go to the centrelink online estimator:

https://www.centrelink.gov.au/RateEs...mbinedStart.do

you can calculate how much family tax benefit, child care benefit, childcare rebate and rent assistance you will be entitled to if you have a rough idea what your wages and rent will be. Daycare as a rough guide is normally around $70 a day for a full day at a daycare centre.