Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

child benefit info...very useful

child benefit info...very useful

Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sean's dad
I take your point about greed it's a little like happily agreeing to sell your house at one price then when the neighbours sell for 50k more withdrawing it from the market.
What you have to remember is that not everyone has huge amounts of equity some mighty fine people with lots to give to Australia live in rental property and have to save for the flight money. The centerlink payments that they are entitled to could make or break a new arrival. Your the one who keeps telling us the average wage is $350 pw
If house prices go up every month then I will feel free to put my house up with them. If you want to give yours away feel free too.

Nobody needs to earn $350 a week all they have to do is get off their ass and mow lawns, $45 an hour, one example of what I keep saying the money is here if you want it.

As for my warnings on Centerlink, heaps of immos get caught out thinking OZ hands out money, not many realise they may have to repay it tho so why not tell them.

Centrelink pays me nothing, why should it I have two arms and two legs, enough for anyone to earn their own living.

I have a theory, those who sit down and work out how much centerlink they can get will never be rich, because while they are filling out the forms, others are working out how much they can make for themselves.

Which team are you on
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri
How much do you get here for per child? I haven't got any children. There's a bloke who works for us and he has 6 kids (yikes!!!) ... his wage is around $780 a week before tax I haven't got a clue... and don't like to ask him.

If he were in WA it would be $944.16 per fortnight on top of the wage he earns
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by aussie bloke
If he were in WA it would be $944.16 per fortnight on top of the wage he earns
Do please ask yourselves why you will be paying 49 cents in the dollaroo tax

Go to work and support 3 other families who dont
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by dotty
Add to that and "how quickly can I get benefits in the new one".

How the hell do they let loosers like this in, think we should take more people from Asian nations where there is a work ethic.
Immo reform needed, come with enough money to support yourself till you get a job.

Bet this post gets some pissy comments and I dont care

I didn't say I WOULD be continuing to claim, I just said that it had been suggested to me.

I am a professional person, have paid taxes all my working life, have had 1 short period of unemployment and when I get to Australia (which won't be for another 3 or 4 years cos we are waiting for my wife to finish her nurse training) I will do any work available to pay the bills.

These bills won't be as hish as here hopefully because our mortgage will be zero or small because of the £90,000 we are taking with us.

The difference between myself and the immigrants flooding this country incidentally is that I have been paying tax and N.I. for the last 18 years here - THEY HAVE NOT

Depsite that, that's not why I'm leaving the UK, I'm leaving for a better lifestyle and to see something of the world.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, 1 more thing,

I'm not from Merseyside, I just live there (another reason for going to OZ!)

and,

IT WAS A JOKE
Old Sep 12th 2003, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Sean's Dad, it's greed when people claim money they are not entitled to. I have no problem with those who are claiming their entitlement. It's thoughs who are dipping their hands into the till to take more than their share that I think Dotty was referring to.

Originally posted by sean's dad
I take your point about greed it's a little like happily agreeing to sell your house at one price then when the neighbours sell for 50k more withdrawing it from the market.
What you have to remember is that not everyone has huge amounts of equity some mighty fine people with lots to give to Australia live in rental property and have to save for the flight money. The centerlink payments that they are entitled to could make or break a new arrival. Your the one who keeps telling us the average wage is $350 pw
Old Sep 12th 2003, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

I didn't think you could claim anything on arrival in Aus? Surely you have to wait 2 years etc.

Also didn't realise there was an Aus family benefit! Never claimed a bean - didn't occur to me that there would be an equivalent to the Child Benefit. How does it work then? I am assuming given previous posts it is means tested? Why in that case do people not wait for a couple of months and claim once they have work etc?

Old Sep 12th 2003, 9:02 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi there - just wanted to add my tuppence!!
Since the introduction of working tax credits, now administered by the inland revenue, if you overclaim you will have to pay it back (UK) at the end of the year when your earnings are assessed (thats what a helpline person told me last week) They do this because of the extortionately high number of people who were fiddling the system to minimise their earnings for when they applied. A friend of mine works in road haulage and often comented that he knew when it was time for his staff to resubmit their family credit (as it was) applications because they wouldnt do their usual generously paid overtime. they would just work the 7 weeks at basic, then do 10 - 20 hours a week at double and a half time!!!
Its difficult to estimate how much you will earn, but like everyone has said its better to overestimate and get a bit extra at the end of the year. but have to agree with other posters too, when you need the money NOW, you sometimes have to juggle.
Surely if you are paying your taxes, there is nothing wrong to claiming the family tax benefit? We are waiting a couple of years before we apply so that all 3 of our kids will be school age before we go out there, because the cost of childcare is still high although not compared to the uk!! Dont want to have to rely on benefits which would have been the alternative.

Each to their own...only they can live with their conscience...

Sue
Old Sep 12th 2003, 9:58 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cadman, Don't worry, i got your joke
But i have to admit, this thread has confused the pants off me with regards to the child benefit systen in Oz! Oh well, i'm quite a fast learner
Old Sep 13th 2003, 2:27 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by h garrett
Hi Cadman, Don't worry, i got your joke
But i have to admit, this thread has confused the pants off me with regards to the child benefit systen in Oz! Oh well, i'm quite a fast learner

hello, me again!!!!
for anyone interested (!?) go to
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter.../Payments.html
and it clearly explains who is entitled and how much you should get.!!!

Sue
Old Sep 13th 2003, 2:33 am
WBB

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hello, me again!!!!
for anyone interested (!?) go to
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter.../Payments.html
and it clearly explains who is entitled and how much you should get.!!!

Sue
that link will not work for me?

Old Sep 13th 2003, 3:09 am

Originally posted by welshboybilly
that link will not work for me?

sorry, the site must be down.
tried the links I have used many times before and they are the same. must be a prob with the site!

sue