Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

child benefit info...very useful

child benefit info...very useful

Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by DianeOZ
We are even wondering if it's worth my hubbie doing overtime (he's done a bit) cos unless we put a bit past we will have to pay some back at the end of the year!! I know I can change the estimate but it's not guaranteed O/T and we need every penny NOW!!!

Diane
My hubbies overtime can vary, so it's really hard to judge what he's going to earn over the year. It would have been better if he hadn't done overtime the last few months of the tax year because we were penalised for it! I say it again - crazy system!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:21 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

How much do you get here for per child? I haven't got any children. There's a bloke who works for us and he has 6 kids (yikes!!!) ... his wage is around $780 a week before tax (plus overtime and bonuses on top of that... comes to around $1000 if I include everything.. which means free petrol card, bridge pass etc) . He won't say how much he gets off the government... actually I've never asked him... I'm not that cheeky . But he always says he'd be better off not working.

I don't quite understand the Aus child and dole system myself.. I've never had to use it.

Anyway what do you recon he gets for 6 kids and one wife? As I haven't got a clue... and don't like to ask him.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you supposed to tell them if you think you are going to earn more than originally submitted. I know my sister was in the position where she and hubby did overtime, so they would adjust their annual income with Centrelink before any overpayment occured which is what I believe they tell you to do.

Originally posted by Kath
My hubbies overtime can vary, so it's really hard to judge what he's going to earn over the year. It would have been better if he hadn't done overtime the last few months of the tax year because we were penalised for it! I say it again - crazy system!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Being an Ozzie he'll get more than us who have been here less than 2 yrs.

This is really sad but if I have another kid when I am eligibe for the parenting payment, by the time I deduct the amount of childcare I would be paying if at work, I will get the same amount in handouts from the government as I would working full time.
Really is quite tempting...

Anyway I reckon he will get about $600 minimum per week!

:scared:
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Vicky88
Aren't you supposed to tell them if you think you are going to earn more than originally submitted. I know my sister was in the position where she and hubby did overtime, so they would adjust their annual income with Centrelink before any overpayment occured which is what I believe they tell you to do.
Yes, it was our mistake, we didn't realise how much extra he'd been earning those last few months. It was only a few thousand dollars extra but it makes a difference.

Anyway, lesson learnt, I've paid the debt and will claim no more!!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty

You would be surprised at what people try. My sister works for Centrelink in the investigations department, specifically targetting people who try this type of fraud. They are too stupid to realise that Centrelink and Tax Office crosslink their records. There are people who take thousands of dollars out of their business as dividends then claim unemployment because they have no salary. People do things like use company profits to pay their home loans then claim that is not income becuase it doesn't go into their bank. People who pay mortgages on six rental properties and claim they have no income.

Originally posted by dotty
Dont worry Ceri, we had 'friends' in Bris who did just that, while ripping off centerlink too. It took less than a year for both departments to be fully on to it, everything claimed has to be paid back, fines issued and fraud charges have been laid. Nice way to start off your new life.

People also seem to be unaware that Centerlink payments are adjusted by the Tax Dept in OZ at the end of the year. If you were not entitled to it you pay it back.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath

I think it is always better to overestimate income as there is nothing worse than getting a bill as it always comes at the most awkward time.

Originally posted by Kath
Yes, it was our mistake, we didn't realise how much extra he'd been earning those last few months. It was only a few thousand dollars extra but it makes a difference.

Anyway, lesson learnt, I've paid the debt and will claim no more!!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

This is really sad but if I have another kid when I am eligibe for the parenting payment, by the time I deduct the amount of childcare I would be paying if at work, I will get the same amount in handouts from the government as I would working full time.

I think it is tempting and those who can't be bothered and have no conscience will happily claim.

But at least we can say we are doing the best by our families, setting the right example, hard working mums and dads!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:33 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

that's what this bloke recons... he'd be better off on the dole with his 6 kids. But he's not like that... he prefers to work, you'd never think it to look at him... he looks like an escaped convict... really rough around the edges, but hell of a nice bloke.

Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Suppose you claim for half the year (money already received) then you get a well paying job or your spouse starts work, this new income can still put you into a end of year figure that means you were not entitled to the sum originally paid. Even if you notify them straight away you still have money above your new total tax year income bracket.

The Aussie freebie gold rush many new immos think they have found is often money that will be paid back once they start work. Better to claim at the end of the tax year, if you get somethng then its a nice bonus and at least you know its yours to keep.
Dont forget to tell them all the interest you get on the UK money too, they find out and once again its all pay back time.

All that glitters in OZ is not gold
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dotty

It's exactly the same here in the US. We have to pay tax on worldwide income. If we receive 1 pound of bank interest in the UK the US takes their cut of it.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

That happened to us Dotty as I didn't think I'd be working. They stopped my childbenefits for about 5 months till is was on an even keel.

Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Dotty

You would be surprised at what people try. My sister works for Centrelink in the investigations department, specifically targetting people who try this type of fraud. They are too stupid to realise that Centrelink and Tax Office crosslink their records. There are people who take thousands of dollars out of their business as dividends then claim unemployment because they have no salary. People do things like use company profits to pay their home loans then claim that is not income becuase it doesn't go into their bank. People who pay mortgages on six rental properties and claim they have no income.

Heard it all before, Greed it eats peoples brains. Till they get caught, its like shoplifting, dont people realise they have little cameras these days. Thick.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
that's what this bloke recons... he'd be better off on the dole with his 6 kids. But he's not like that... he prefers to work
With 6 kids, I am damn sure I would want to be at work as well
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:21 pm
Senior Citizen

sean's dad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Heard it all before, Greed it eats peoples brains. Till they get caught, its like shoplifting, dont people realise they have little cameras these days. Thick.
I take your point about greed it's a little like happily agreeing to sell your house at one price then when the neighbours sell for 50k more withdrawing it from the market.
What you have to remember is that not everyone has huge amounts of equity some mighty fine people with lots to give to Australia live in rental property and have to save for the flight money. The centerlink payments that they are entitled to could make or break a new arrival. Your the one who keeps telling us the average wage is $350 pw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.