Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

child benefit in Australia

child benefit in Australia

Old May 12th 2009, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

tinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the roughtinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the roughtinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the roughtinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the rough
Default child benefit in Australia

Hi am I right in thinking that if my husband is working and earns less than $150,000 a year we may be entitled to child benefit part B if I don't earn more than $20,000 ??
We have two children aged 3 and 7 if that helps ?

Think if I read it right my getting a job makes us exempt from child benefit?
Old May 12th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child benefit in Australia

Originally Posted by tinkerbelle146hp
Hi am I right in thinking that if my husband is working and earns less than $150,000 a year we may be entitled to child benefit part B if I don't earn more than $20,000 ??

Hi

Check out the Family Assist website (something like www.familyassist.gov.au) there is a online estimator you can do to see what you are entitled to on what salary, there are various cut off points depending on how many children you have and what age they are.

We have two children and our cut off for qualifying for both A and B is about $90,000 for main earner and $16,000 for lower earner, the less the lower earner gets, the more Part B you seem to get.

I work and still get Part A & B, so you should not be exempt, but obviously it does depend on what your incomes will be?

Check out the website as there is loads of info on there.

Sam
Old May 12th 2009, 4:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tinkerbelle146hp

$140,000 Main earner
$20,000 2nd earner
2 kids 3 & 7
= $5 per week in FTB

$140,000 Main earner
$21,000 2nd earner
2 kids 3 & 7
= $1 per week in FTB

Old May 12th 2009, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
$140,000 Main earner
$20,000 2nd earner
2 kids 3 & 7
= $5 per week in FTB

$140,000 Main earner
$21,000 2nd earner
2 kids 3 & 7
= $1 per week in FTB
That's interesting, as when I've done the online estimator on the FA webiste, it cuts off at $90k for the top earner, maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'll try again, not that we're earning that much yet but I've taken on a new job which won't change our payments much for 08/09 as I've only just started but will affect next years.

I'm off to check

Sam
Old May 12th 2009, 4:57 am
ABCDiamond

Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part B will be limited to families where:
    and

FTB part A stops totally when a family, with one child under 17, earns $100,801 or more.

Old May 12th 2009, 5:29 am
      Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe check all figures after tonights budget
      Old May 12th 2009, 5:35 am
      Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Any idea why the FTB Part "A" fortnightly reduces from $ 147 for a child between 13 to 15 years to $37 for a child 16 to 17years

Last edited by Kassy; May 12th 2009 at 5:48 am.
      Old May 12th 2009, 1:56 pm
      BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

And if you are a single parent earning less than $150000 then you get full FTB part B entitlement!

Trust me its complex - you will NEVER understand it all, its hard enough for centrelink to understand it.

Definitely use the online calculator though as its the same one centrelink staff use so you can keep inputting all the different variables in to see how it affects your income.
      Old May 12th 2009, 4:08 pm
      CDM
      BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

It is my understanding that newly arriving immigrants are not entitled to benefits until 2 years after arrival. Does that include ALL benefits (including child benefits)? Or are there some types of benefits that newly arriving immigrants are elligible to receive?

NOTE: Arguments over the merrits of newly arriving immigrants requesting benefits to be left at the door please.

- CDM
      Old May 12th 2009, 9:41 pm
      BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CDM
      It is my understanding that newly arriving immigrants are not entitled to benefits until 2 years after arrival. Does that include ALL benefits (including child benefits)? Or are there some types of benefits that newly arriving immigrants are elligible to receive?

NOTE: Arguments over the merrits of newly arriving immigrants requesting benefits to be left at the door please.

- CDM
      Yep this was my understanding too but we're just shy of being here for 2 years (July) and we had a baby in March. We got the Baby Bonus and we also get Family Tax Benefit A and B.

I also have friends who are getting rent assist too
      Old May 12th 2009, 9:44 pm
      Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
      You can get family benefits right off the plane. It's the employment type benefits that you have to wait 2 years for.

So you can get family benefit A, B, Child care benefit and child tax rebate if you've been here for less than 2 years. If you qualify for them on the other criteria (income, etc).

There may be others, I believe rent assist might be one of them but I'm not too sure.
      Old May 12th 2009, 11:59 pm
      ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by comet555
      You can get family benefits right off the plane. It's the employment type benefits that you have to wait 2 years for.

So you can get family benefit A, B, Child care benefit and child tax rebate if you've been here for less than 2 years. If you qualify for them on the other criteria (income, etc).

There may be others, I believe rent assist might be one of them but I'm not too sure.
      Yes, rent assistance is also available, but only IF they are also getting FTB.

Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:19 am
      Forum Regular

UK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to all

I have been here for just over 2 years now and am currently transferring from a temp visa to a perm visa. They have just informed me that instead of the 2-3 weeks transfer time, it now takes between 6-7 months!!!! I am pregnant and due in october. Being on a temp visa, I dont qualify for any child care benefits but does anyone know whether I will be able to have them back dated when they do get around to granting my perm resident?

Also, is the baby bonus paid to the baby or to me? Just wondering whether I would get the baby bonus for a child born in Aus or whether I need to be a PR before being entitled to that as well?

Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:33 am
      ABCDiamond

In general, to be eligible for the Baby Bonus you must be an Australian resident, ie: citizen or permanent resident visa holder, and the child must meet the same requirements as you or be living with you.

I doubt very much if it you would be eligible for the Baby Bonus, even after becoming PR, if the baby is born beforehand, although it may be worth asking Centrelink.

Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:44 am
      Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UK2Perth
      I have been here for just over 2 years now and am currently transferring from a temp visa to a perm visa. They have just informed me that instead of the 2-3 weeks transfer time, it now takes between 6-7 months!!!! I am pregnant and due in october. Being on a temp visa, I dont qualify for any child care benefits but does anyone know whether I will be able to have them back dated when they do get around to granting my perm resident?

Also, is the baby bonus paid to the baby or to me? Just wondering whether I would get the baby bonus for a child born in Aus or whether I need to be a PR before being entitled to that as well?

if the father is a pr or cit .. let him claim the baby bonus..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.