Child Benefit

Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:08 am
Just Joined

mr t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child Benefit

hi there we are now in oz on a 175 skilled indepented visa and somebody has told us that we are able to claim "child benifit" ????? i was told no we are not, we are a husband and wife with a two and half year old, there is only going to be one of us working a first then the wife is going to work part time.. can someone please tell us.......................
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child benfit

Originally Posted by mr t
hi there we are now in oz on a 175 skilled indepented visa and somebody has told us that we are able to claim "child benifit" ????? i was told no we are not, we are a husband and wife with a two and half year old, there is only going to be one of us working a first then the wife is going to work part time.. can someone please tell us.......................
Go to Centrelink and sign up. Yes, you are entitled to child tax benefits.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

When you sign up what do you need to take with you? I thought I may be ineligible due to income from UK rental, but think I'll fall under the threshold
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:23 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
When you sign up what do you need to take with you? I thought I may be ineligible due to income from UK rental, but think I'll fall under the threshold
I think I took our passports, kids' birth certificates, visa and if you have any kids under 7, you will need their vaccination record, especially if claiming the child care rebate side. Before this though, you will need to register on the Govt website then link your account to the Centrelink website, which will give you a number you will also need to take with you to Centrelink. Well, this is what I had to do.

You will also have options on how to claim any of your entitlements. You can have fortnightly or monthly payments, or you can wait until the end of the financial year when you will receive a lumpsum payment. This is handy of you are not sure what your income will be over the year as it is income dependent. I think any child care refund is paid differently, but in most cases, any childcare will have to be paid in advance. The childcare provider, who must be registered and authorised, will process the claim directly to Centrelink.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

You have the choice of child care benefit being withdrawn by the childcare centre directly from the govt so you don't have to pay it and claim it back.

Child care rebate doesn't have this option. Note this rebate is not income tested.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
You have the choice of child care benefit being withdrawn by the childcare centre directly from the govt so you don't have to pay it and claim it back.

Child care rebate doesn't have this option. Note this rebate is not income tested.
Both our CCR and CCB are claimed directly by our childcare centre and I only pay the difference direct to the Daycare centre. It costs $80 a day but I pay just under $40 direct to the centre
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Child Benefit

Originally Posted by mr t
Depending on your income you may be elegible for Family Tax Benefit A and B and Rent assistance. We got that when we first arrived and had our little girl. My husband was working and I stayed at home. If your income is over the threashold you will still get FTB B and rent assistance.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJCS
Both our CCR and CCB are claimed directly by our childcare centre and I only pay the difference direct to the Daycare centre. It costs $80 a day but I pay just under $40 direct to the centre
Oops, thank you, I didn't realise they had now introduced that option for CCR as well.

Interestingly they say they withhold 15% until year end if you take this method of payment so you should get a nice bonus at the end of the financial year as well

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...ayment-methods
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
snip
Quite ironic...you're using a leftie politician to argue against midde class handouts massivly expanded by the conservative politician John Howard. Are you changing sides ?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Quite ironic...you're using a leftie politician to argue against midde class handouts massivly expanded by the conservative politician John Howard. Are you changing sides ?
Nope. It's a universal message

Try harder
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Nope. It's a universal message

Try harder
I'm done