Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The chickens have won the day again ......

Wikiposts

The chickens have won the day again ......

Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The chickens have won the day again ......

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Good move Anna..... It is better for our quality of life anyway.... I figured we could enjoy the nice weather and sunlight in the morning instead, I figure during summer we could all have people around for BBQ's at 5am instead of the evening, take my kids to the park and play at 5:30am instead of after work, unwind after a hard nights sleep with a walk in the nice sunny morning instead of unwinding after a hard days work in the evening. You are right I think the rest of the world is mad for wanting day light saving!!! Who wants to enjoy the nice weather in QLD, I prefer to just sleep through it and come home after work in the dark anyway!!!
I think I'll institute a Post Of The Day Award, you can have first prize today
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But for those of us that can't get home before 6, we have no afternoon to enjoy - we are stuck in the office. Liberated at 5.30, home at 6, dark at 6.05. Fabulous.
I don't think it's just a Brisbane issue, Jad n Rich are a fair way up from here - the Sunshine Coast at least has the same issue.
And if I knew which idiot it was on TV when the Bloke just turned it on, who said it's a victory for common sense...........

Fiddlesticks to the chickens, I just want to see my garden in daylight - other than the 10 minutes before we leave for work at 7.15!!
I don't mean to sound flippant about this (but probably will do so regardless) but really the onus is on the Brisbane and SE Queensland community to stop hand-wringing about government inaction and start making a collective effort to start working different hours during the summer period (eg 1 Nov to end February). In other words start and finish earlier to make maximum use of the daylight available. In many U.S. and Canadian communities they do just that.

Obviously it's hard for one person to buck the trend but a co-ordinated community effort could work well. Starting with the most flexible employers (and those with closer ties to NSW/Vic) and working out from there.

In fact if people could do this more widely, the whole question of changing the clocks would become irrelevant.

Part of the problem is that at 27S Brisbane simply doesn't get a lot of daylight in the summer compared to places further south. It obviously gets more in winter but to those who work all day, this is no real advantage. It's a price to pay for living in the subtropics.

Incidentally, in December and January, sunset occurs around the same time in Brisbane and Cairns, because the latter is so far to the west.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:02 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
And now you lot may understand one of the reasons I chose Melbourne!!!

Buzzy
I'm with you Buzzy. Looking forward to some nice longer evenings when the clocks change...

S
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The chickens have won the day again ......

Here in the UK, we're slowing moving into that time of the year when it becomes pitch black at 17:00. Once it arrives, we won't see any sunshine at the latter end of the day until some time in February. That's something you don't get in Australia, even without daylight saving.

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Good move Anna..... It is better for our quality of life anyway.... I figured we could enjoy the nice weather and sunlight in the morning instead, I figure during summer we could all have people around for BBQ's at 5am instead of the evening, take my kids to the park and play at 5:30am instead of after work, unwind after a hard nights sleep with a walk in the nice sunny morning instead of unwinding after a hard days work in the evening. You are right I think the rest of the world is mad for wanting day light saving!!! Who wants to enjoy the nice weather in QLD, I prefer to just sleep through it and come home after work in the dark anyway!!!
Well said!

Speaking as a West Australian, daylight saving irritates me. Why in hell would I want to experience blazing sunshine at 20:00?

For those who say "But I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark"... well, you knew that would be the case when you took the job. And if you were still in the UK, you'd be commuting in darkness for several months every year despite daylight saving, so be grateful that it's not like that in Australia.

If a state has voted against daylight saving, that's their prerogative. To call people "hicks" just because they don't want daylight saving, is just petty narrow-mindedness; urban parochialism of the most pathetic sort.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 1st 2007 at 6:17 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:56 pm
experienced member

Lordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Here in the UK, we're slowing moving into that time of the year when it becomes pitch black at 17:00. Once it arrives, we won't see any sunshine at the latter end of the day until some time in February. That's something you don't get in Australia, even without daylight saving.

Well said!

Speaking as a West Australian, daylight saving irritates me. Why in hell would I want to experience blazing sunshine at 20:00?

For those who say "But I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark"... well, you knew that would be the case when you took the job. And if you were still in the UK, you'd be commuting in darkness for several months every year despite daylight saving, so be grateful that it's not like that in Australia.

If a state has voted against daylight saving, that's their prerogative. To call people "hicks" just because they don't want daylight saving, is just petty narrow-mindedness; urban parochialism of the most pathetic sort.
But that's just the point the State hasn't been given the chance to vote on it this time around. What the hell happened to democracy? - The minority "Hicks" - oops Sorry Vash - have won and Anna Bligh will not ever discuss daylight savings again whilst she is in power??????????
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:11 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I don't mean to sound flippant about this (but probably will do so regardless) but really the onus is on the Brisbane and SE Queensland community to stop hand-wringing about government inaction and start making a collective effort to start working different hours during the summer period (eg 1 Nov to end February). In other words start and finish earlier to make maximum use of the daylight available. In many U.S. and Canadian communities they do just that.

Obviously it's hard for one person to buck the trend but a co-ordinated community effort could work well. Starting with the most flexible employers (and those with closer ties to NSW/Vic) and working out from there.

In fact if people could do this more widely, the whole question of changing the clocks would become irrelevant.

Part of the problem is that at 27S Brisbane simply doesn't get a lot of daylight in the summer compared to places further south. It obviously gets more in winter but to those who work all day, this is no real advantage. It's a price to pay for living in the subtropics.

Incidentally, in December and January, sunset occurs around the same time in Brisbane and Cairns, because the latter is so far to the west.
Biggest impediment to us changing our working hours thoughm as I'm sure you'd recognise is that for us minions we have to work when we are told to.Even with a certain amount of flexitime the office has to be covered till at least 5pm every day Mon-Fri, to provide a service to the public. And as yours truly is on the shift till 5pm four days out of five..........

And as lordhorrace says - what's happened to democracy? Even the TV just gave figures of 75% in favour of DST - but no-one is to be allowed to vote on it. Iron Lady Anna Thatcher (oops, that should say Bligh) has spoken.....
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:05 pm
Home and Happy

Ahah! Todays classic reason, courtesy of the Courier Mail comments column, for not having daylight saving....if there is an extra hour in the day we will all run out of water quicker ,
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest impediment to us changing our working hours thoughm as I'm sure you'd recognise is that for us minions we have to work when we are told to.Even with a certain amount of flexitime the office has to be covered till at least 5pm every day Mon-Fri, to provide a service to the public. And as yours truly is on the shift till 5pm four days out of five..........
Obviously I can't comment in detail without knowing what business you're in, but I really don't get the fixation everyone has with 5pm. What's wrong with opening at 8am and closing at 4pm during the summer months?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:39 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Obviously I can't comment in detail without knowing what business you're in, but I really don't get the fixation everyone has with 5pm. What's wrong with opening at 8am and closing at 4pm during the summer months?
One more hour drinking time too ...
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:42 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
WHAT! your not seriously suggesting getting up an hour earlier so you can have an extra hour at home in the afternoon sun are you?
Surely it's easier to change the time zones than the alarm clock
Now where's the tongue in cheek smiley?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
And now you lot may understand one of the reasons I chose Melbourne!!!

Buzzy
I get up early anyhow now, but from next year 2008, Mebourne gets an extra month of DST (and an extra week in April). It got dark at 6.45 pm (more?) today, that will be 7.45 this time next year with another 3 months to go until the solstice....
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

But for those of us that can't get home before 6, we have no afternoon to enjoy - we are stuck in the office. Liberated at 5.30, home at 6, dark at 6.05. Fabulous.
I don't think it's just a Brisbane issue, Jad n Rich are a fair way up from here - the Sunshine Coast at least has the same issue.
And if I knew which idiot it was on TV when the Bloke just turned it on, who said it's a victory for common sense...........

Fiddlesticks to the chickens, I just want to see my garden in daylight - other than the 10 minutes before we leave for work at 7.15!!
I fully get the get up early argument, and it works for me so I get to see more of my kids, but of course, some people like to enjoy a day after work not before......perfectly valid.

If I lived in QLD, though, I would bite the bullet and rise early.

I do appreciate the daylight, when we first start getting longer days in August I often walk down the back and watch the sun go down when I get back from work.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Well said!

It seems that the light summers do make up for the dark winters in the UK.

Maybe Brissy is mind numbingly neither here nor there all year.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:17 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
Govt Dept, and we are instructed from On High that there will be someone there to answer the phone until 5pm. Those are "established Queensland business hours" (yawn) and unfortunately that goes with the job. There have been rare occasions when we have all left 30 minutes early - leaving party, whatever, and the resultant complaints reverberate for weeks.
The Bloke works in retail and I can't see them changing the store opening hours as they are an "established Queensland family firm" (yaaawwwwn!). Not saying every company is like it, but.....
It really is like suggesting to the subjects of Queen Victoria that it is OK to finish work early occasionally - no offence Jeremy, but a lot of the attitudes you don't realise until you live - and work - amongst them.

And on a purely selfish level - I've tried getting up earlier and going to bed earlier - it's not me, I'm an owl not a lark. The amount of banned posters and slapped wrists would rocket if I had to be up and about any earlier than I am now
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:21 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It seems that the light summers do make up for the dark winters in the UK.

Maybe Brissy is mind numbingly neither here nor there all year.
Maybe Brissy is just mind numbing?

(Polly dives for cover!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.