Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cheeky question?

Wikiposts

cheeky question?

Old Jan 26th 2003, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Question cheeky question?

For those of you who are heading to Oz shortly have you got any start up costs or budget ?

I am trying to work one out presently - i understand it depends on everyone's indiviual situation.

We would like to put a substanial amount towards a small mortgage, buy 2 cars well one car one ute, get private medical insurance and have a budget for renting when we arrive.

Cars $55,000 = £22.5k
Towards a house cost $180,000. - upfront $55000.00 =£20k
Rent $5000.00 =£1851.00
privat health care upfront payment $6750 = £2500.00
shipping - £1600.00 various quotes all around same price.

anything else I have missed or help ?

What about everyone else ?
Old Jan 26th 2003, 3:06 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future
Default Re: cheeky question?

Originally posted by Carrianne
For those of you who are heading to Oz shortly have you got any start up costs or budget ?

I am trying to work one out presently - i understand it depends on everyone's indiviual situation.

We would like to put a substanial amount towards a small mortgage, buy 2 cars well one car one ute, get private medical insurance and have a budget for renting when we arrive.

Cars $55,000 = £22.5k
Rent $5000.00 =£1851.00

coz im going by myself and have nothing to sell here, i`m hoping to take £10 000 minimum, and out of that i`ll be buying a cheap car and stopping at the same b&b i did last year. they said they would give me a special rate. other than that i`ll be going with the clothes on my back. so all been well that should last me a while or until i get a job.

ooooooohh i cant wait.
Old Jan 26th 2003, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the privalt medical insurance, why up front?
I haven't looked into all this yet, so please advise your logic.
Thanks
Mash...

Cars $55,000 = £22.5k
Rent $5000.00 =£1851.00

Old Jan 26th 2003, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I remember reading that you need to pay for the first year upfront on arrival.

Carrianne
Old Jan 27th 2003, 12:21 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Are cars really that expensive out there?
Old Jan 27th 2003, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

It is more my husband he will need a Ute for his job and his tools etc.
The cars are cheaper out there by a couple of thousand check this website out

http://www.carsales.com.au/ the makes are different or should I say the names Holden is our vauxhall but they have different types of car.

Mine is based on a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser and a Ute. By the way they drive cars with massive engine's minimum is 2.0 litre engine up to we saw 6.0 litre.

Carrianne
Old Jan 27th 2003, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

If you are going to go for Private Medical also think about the Ambulance membership (forms at the Post Office) also RACQ membership, though you would hardly need it with the two 'new' cars you intend to buy.
Old Jan 27th 2003, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Lana is an unknown quantity at this point

The medical insurance I saw was $160 a month for my husband and I, and covered WAY more than our insurance covers here. Also, we pay $240 here...

Like denhim, we are doing it "with the clothes on our back". We are gonna ship a few boxes with personal belongings but not gonna take any furniture at all. And no car purchase either, since we still need some time to learn how to drive on the other side of the road.
Old Jan 27th 2003, 12:49 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Cars $55,000 = £22.5k
Rent $5000.00 =£1851.00

No idea where you are going in Australia but the house seems a bit cheap also rent , ifs its Perth and you want a average area double your figure and the average rent is nearer $180 per week.
Cars you could spend a bit less but thats down to you and what you want, looking at your shipping costs I would say put by at lest $15,000 for house hold items you cannot be bring a lot and you will find that you will replace most things.

Old Jan 27th 2003, 12:59 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Hi,

It is more my husband he will need a Ute for his job and his tools etc.
The cars are cheaper out there by a couple of thousand check this website out

http://www.carsales.com.au/ the makes are different or should I say the names Holden is our vauxhall but they have different types of car.

Mine is based on a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser and a Ute. By the way they drive cars with massive engine's minimum is 2.0 litre engine up to we saw 6.0 litre.

Carrianne
I dont think cars are cheaper out here. Not in my experience anyway. Generally used cars hold their value much more over here and if you are after a 2 to 3 year old car they are quite pricey here, especially if you compare like for like cars.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys, we just want to give ourselves a head start adn try adn be as realistic with our finances as possible, I have all the forms for Private medical companies I picked them up over there.

Cheers

Carrianne