Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Checklist for Emigration (ie the big move)

Checklist for Emigration (ie the big move)

Old Nov 29th 2003, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Question Checklist for Emigration (ie the big move)

G'day,

Does anyone have a "check list" of things that need to be done prior to emigrating to Australia? I don`t mean things like applying for visa, medicals etc.

What I`m really after is the "nitty gritty", things like not forgetting to get a letter from your car insurance company in the UK certifying no-claims bonus entitlement, and that sort of thing.

We're trying to get everything sorted, but are sure that we'll miss something!!!:scared:

So if any of you have any bright ideas, or know of a good "check list", can you please let me have a copy???

Thanks,

Piers
Old Nov 29th 2003, 1:45 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I have this to do list(in Word). It came from someone on here I think.
I haven't looked at it much yet, but there's heaps on it. (I added a few things in dutch, so if you're thinking what the? : it';s dutch! )

I'd also use the search option on this forum. These things have of course been discussed before.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
to do list.doc (21.0 KB, 356 views)
Old Nov 29th 2003, 2:24 pm
Badge

Default Carrianne's List

Hi

The user 'Carrianne' did a "All you Need" list in several parts: which I link to here..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=171254

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=171256

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=171255

cheers

Badge

Old Nov 29th 2003, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Coventry is an unknown quantity at this point

you forgot to get a refund on the tv license!
Old Nov 29th 2003, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Piers-morgan,
I put up a similar post yesterday and got some really useful tips, you'll find it under 'are we ready'.
Will also be looking at the ones mentioned above.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have just looked at Carriannes lists (links above) they are fantastic, have got loads of useful stuff and the printed to do list is on my kitchen wall(without many ticks yet!)
Thanks Carianne, it must have taken ages, your efforts are appreciated.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default Bedankt!!

Originally posted by Simone82
I haven't looked at it much yet, but there's heaps on it. (I added a few things in dutch, so if you're thinking what the? : it';s dutch! )

I'd also use the search option on this forum. These things have of course been discussed before.

Bedankt Simone. Ik ben ook Nederlandse dus geen probleem met de lijst.

Piers
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Reddag is an unknown quantity at this point

Ik ook niet.......

KC
Old Dec 1st 2003, 9:08 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bedankt!!

Originally posted by piers_morgan
Bedankt Simone. Ik ben ook Nederlandse dus geen probleem met de lijst.

Piers
Aha! Oke dan!

He, vul trouwens even je profile in (bovenaan, bij my forum)
Is wel handig, ik heb een slecht geheugen!

Ik ook niet....... KC
Mooi!

OK, going back to English now. Sorry guys!, weren't talking about anything interesting though
Old Dec 1st 2003, 11:48 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Hi,

have a look at this link...... http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/beforeyougo.php

I think most things are covered. Also the rest of the site is quite good.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

You are very welcome x
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

anpham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Amsterdam

Hello there,
We are moving from Amsterdam to Sydney and were wondering if you have any recommendations as for movers and electrical appliances we can take with us (e.g. washing machine).
Thanks for your help!
An
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:36 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Default Re: Moving from Amsterdam

Originally posted by anpham
Hello there,
We are moving from Amsterdam to Sydney and were wondering if you have any recommendations as for movers and electrical appliances we can take with us (e.g. washing machine).
Thanks for your help!
An
Hi An,

Sorry, no! I still have to look into all this too. We've still got 8 months to go, but I will be starting soon.
Have you looked on the prikbord of emigratie.pagina.nl?
If you use the search function on there, you will definetly find some usefull info.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can take the washing machine.
What else is there that could cos problems:
Fridge: they say that the ones aren't good enough to survive the heat in summer. Seems to me it depends on where you're gonna live.. Still have to look into it.
TV - have to look into
DVD - it had to be region free(regio vrij of zo) Someone said you can get someone to make it that, doesn't cost to much??
Computer - should be fine
Stove (gasstel) - isn't necessary, houses in Oz come with these standard, usually with oven. So you only have to bring your fridge and microwave.
Houses usually also come with curtains and light coverings. (lampen kappen of zo, hoe heet dat ??lol) But, of course, everybodies tastes are different.....

Good luck on the move!!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

bertie100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dvd region free

To make your dvd player region free it can be very easy - look at www.dvdrhelp.com - if you select your dvd player it will tell you - normally you can do this with the remote controller.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

anpham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Amsterdam

Hi An,

Sorry, no! I still have to look into all this too. We've still got 8 months to go, but I will be starting soon.
Have you looked on the prikbord of emigratie.pagina.nl?
If you use the search function on there, you will definetly find some usefull info.
Hi Simone!
Many thanks for your response! Sorry it took so long to reply. Have booked our (one-way) flight to Sydney, leaving 1st week of march. Your list has been super useful. Have been busy trying to sell most of our stuff to reduce the size of the container, visiting parents in France and UK, saying good bye to friends, telling the boss... Haaaaa.
When are you leaving? Where are you going?
See you soon online!
An:scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.