Reload this Page >

Check your visa number!

Wikiposts

Check your visa number!

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:09 am
Just Joined

JandKS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Check your visa number!

Hi, word of warning to those of you who have received your visas but have not yet made a trip to Oz on them.

We've just got back from doing our validation trip (absolutely fab, will put a short report up later!), but we had a few hold ups at immigration along the way due to a problem with the visa number. My husband was the main applicant, and we had no problems with him getting through, but I was queried at Heathrow by the check in clerk who said that my visa didn't match my passport, did I have another passport that it should be in etc? No was the answer, and we were all stumped until further investigation revealed the number on the visa was the date my passport had been issued and not my passport number. At immigration at Brisbane, it got queried again, but I was let through when a supervisor said okay, but when we were leaving from Perth, immigration weren't happy that Brisbane had not rectified the problem, and we got held up again. Apparently I may have had problems proving that I had validated the visa on my current passport as the numbers weren't correct, as I actually had two entries on the immigration system made for me - one with the correct number that showed no entry or return, and one with the "issue date passport number" (on which no passport exists, or it might for someone else's name). Perth Immigration apparently sorted it out and all my records have been merged to show that I have been and gone, but it was a bit worrying for a time!

So, after that bit of a long-winded story, the advice is to check the number in the bottom left of your visa sticker to check it matches your passport, as you may otherwise have problems upon arrival. I'm not sure what you have to do if you find out it doesn't match however!!

Anyway, hope this helps someone!

KS
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 7:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You are correct to get people to check as your experience is not a one off. Basically check all the details including passport no, passport country, DOB etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 7:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
You are correct to get people to check as your experience is not a one off. Basically check all the details including passport no, passport country, DOB etc.
When we were sent a letter asking for our VAC to receive the visa (Parent Contributory) they (Perth) had put the wrong dates of birth down for both of us.
When we emailed them we were told it was a clerical error and gave us an apology.
Well worth checking well in advance though.

G
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 11:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
When we were sent a letter asking for our VAC to receive the visa (Parent Contributory) they (Perth) had put the wrong dates of birth down for both of us.
When we emailed them we were told it was a clerical error and gave us an apology.
Well worth checking well in advance though.

G
POPC are about to give us the CP visas - so we will make damn sure we check!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks JandKS

Just checked mine, all present and correct but it's worth checking.

all I need now is for someone to buy my house and were off

Steph
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Check also that all your middle names are on the visa. I got hauled to one side at Brisbane cos my middle name wasnt on the visa sticker.

I rang DIMIA to ask about this and was told they often dont put middle names on!

A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?