Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to get hammered

Cheapest way to get hammered

Old Sep 15th 2003, 2:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheapest way to get hammered

One thing that is cheap here is 4 litres of quality cask wine. Drink 2 litres of that before a night out and you are away.

Any other suggestions for the alcoholicly minded?
Old Sep 15th 2003, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I am with you on the cask wine. Unlike drinking bottles, it is almost impossible to judge your consumption, hence many a sore head.

The port here is also very good and cheap, and at 18% abv or whatever, another blazing hangover inducer.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:00 am

Originally posted by dracupg
I am with you on the cask wine. Unlike drinking bottles, it is almost impossible to judge your consumption, hence many a sore head.

The port here is also very good and cheap, and at 18% abv or whatever, another blazing hangover inducer.

On the port have you ever tried port and guiness? It is like snake bite in that the combination is worse than the sum of the parts.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

My better half doesn’t let me touch Guinness, as she says the house stinks for weeks after. I can imagine though that the grape and the grain combination would make for a heady cocktail.

Real tequila slammers do it for me. By real, I mean using a champagne/fizzy wine as the mixer, rather than tonic water. Rocket fule.

TVR (Tequila, Vodka and Red-bull) were very popular in the Edinburgh before we left. Too sweet for me though, and tended to be drunk by the shell suit wearing sect.

Last edited by dracupg; Sep 15th 2003 at 3:30 am.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Cheapest way to get hammered

Originally posted by bondipom
One thing that is cheap here is 4 litres of quality cask wine. Drink 2 litres of that before a night out and you are away.

Home brew. It's cheap and easy and tastes better than the shop bought stuff... always double the sugar content. when making it .. it's potent!, but be prepared for some split bottles, or tops flying off if you double the sugar ..lol (I use plastic coke bottles) .

If you start brewing now... it'll be ready for christmas (P.S always brew it longer than the instructions)... when I mean brew, after you have bottled it up after the initial brewing/bubbling... leave it for a few months.. don't drink it within the first month.

The weather is perfect here for Home Brew... must add that one to my "likes of Aus list"
Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

surely one of the great up sides to living here (or in fact anywhere except the UK) is that you can leave that speed drinking technique behind. Its not like at home where as soon as you're up to a buzzy pace some Australian barman tries to shepherd you out the door on the flimsy grounds that its 11 o'clock.
I like to warm up on a friday by watching the footie in Souths Juniors onthe big screens, where I can score a schooner for $2.40. By 'going out' time I find I'm fairly liberally oiled.

I presume Bondipom that you cobbled together that quite hideous logo after drinking a cask of the aforementioned cask vino.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:35 am

I guess you don't like the Eagles. Who do you support?
Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Being a parent of a child that has no regard for the hangover and will be up at 6am regardless, I find the best technique is to get home and drink myself into unconsciousness by 10pm, giving myself at least some chance of recovering by the next morning. Not every night, you understand. Hic.

The concept of social drinking until all hours in the morning is something that I look back fondly on, as Edinburgh was (is) very liberal in its licensing laws.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Casks are the thing in our house, cheap and who cares what it tastes like as long as it's alcoholic.

Parents of some friends refer to casks as "Lucky boxes of love" (they take them with them when they go caravaning... use your imagination for the rest:scared: )

Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I support Spurs - You may now laugh liberally.

And before anyone from Surrey gets on board I don't want to enter into to a Man U/Arsenal/Chelsea are better than your team.

I'm fully aware of all that and its not really the point is it.

Hats off to you bondipom for also having the foresight to folow a dreadful team. I have to however stick to my previous point - its a hideous logo.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 4:07 am

You are just sore that you bought Chris Armstrong off us.
I have been to White Hart Lane a couple of times and seen some dreadful games.

Enjoy mid table or is it relegation this year.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom

I'd agree, at $12 for 4 litres you can't go wrong! We recently went to the Barossa, bought $20 bottles, and preferred our Lindemans 'soft red'.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 4:35 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

$12 for 4 Litres ?? what a ripoff LOL. try Kaiser Stuhl 5 Litres for between $9.99-11.99, cant go wrong !!! Crisp White is best, they dont do chardy
Old Sep 15th 2003, 4:38 am

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
$12 for 4 Litres ?? what a ripoff LOL. try Kaiser Stuhl 5 Litres for between $9.99-11.99, cant go wrong !!! Crisp White is best, they dont do chardy
Is that a Riesling or something?
Old Sep 15th 2003, 4:51 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

nah, just basic blended wine, a mix of chardy and other stuff I would think.

BTW bondi, I found your xfm, check the other thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.