Reload this Page >

Cheapest Validation Visit

Cheapest Validation Visit

Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheapest Validation Visit

Hi,

we (2 adults & 2 kids) are planning a visit to Perth next March/April to validate our visas. We already have a shortlist of areas we like the look of & if we were in a position to do so at the moment we'd be happy just packing our bags & coming over for good. However houses to sell in UK, jobs to find, kids schools to consider etc etc etc means we're gonna have to validate now & then wait probably a couple of years to actually emigrate.

So, what's peoples recommendations for a validation visit on a shoestring? Don't want to spend a fortune just to get a stamp in our passports! We're looking at lowest cost flights, accommodation etc. Have even considered booking a package holiday as it doesn't seem much more expensive than flights only.

How long would you recommend? 2 weeks would be lovely but would a week be enough at a push?

Thanks in advance,
Chrisall
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:50 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest Validation Visit

The validation is just turning up getting stamp and you can go home the next flight.

You need to decide how much you need to look at to consider decisions you may not make for the next couple of years to so.

A package deals sounds ok; but I would think you would need to hire a car and get around to the places you need to see on your list. Would this add to the cost. Where is the package staying is it near the places you want to see.
I do not know Perth at all but sure there is some cheap accommodation you could find in caravan parks or the like to bring down costs.

Good luck wit the planning
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

We flew into Perth to validate. If you want to keep costs down you can as previous poster said fly in, get the stamp and all head back again but seems a shame.

Why not just research flights, hotels, cars and shop around for deals, try entering different dates for the flights depending when you go can be cheaper in the week, time of day etc, longer flights often cheaper, some airlines are cheaper than others.

Cars; shop around and get a deal, they can be collected from airport or if you've having a few days in Perth then get an taxi to hotel and then arrange car for few days later. Hotels, vary greatly shop around for best deal.

Then you can use the time to see places you may wish to live and have some time to kick back as well, enjoy it
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:15 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I've done U.K. to Oz and back in two weeks a few times, but on my own, not with kids. But I think two weeks is managable.

I know that you haven't got money to throw about and I understand that you don't want to apparantly waste money just to get the passport stamp. All I'd say is that passport stamp is the key to the rest of your lives possibly so perhaps don't begrudge spending. Not too much anyway.

Best to luck to you.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Crazy.... I was planning on waiting a few months, getting the visa and moving 12 months after,
I never considered getting the visa now, going on a quick holiday to validate them, and then move 12 months later......
Cracking idea.
Does the validation work for employee sponsored visas? If the employer says it's no problem to go back to the uk for 12 months or so?

Thanks
Jen
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coppock
Crazy.... I was planning on waiting a few months, getting the visa and moving 12 months after,
I never considered getting the visa now, going on a quick holiday to validate them, and then move 12 months later......
Cracking idea.
Does the validation work for employee sponsored visas? If the employer says it's no problem to go back to the uk for 12 months or so?

Thanks
Jen
Not sure about employer-sponsored, but for the 175 visas we have to emigrate within 5 (I think, best double check the passports!) years of grant but validate within 12 months of grant.

Cheers,
Chrisall
Old Oct 27th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I think for employer sponsored you have to validate within 12 months, but you can have unlimited trips in and out of Oz - so should be able to come back if need be...

Sorry for hijacking the thread!
Jen
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

A friend validated his visa by flying from London to Sydney - and then immediately flew back. I think he was at the airport for a few hours.

Can't get much cheaper than that.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A friend validated his visa by flying from London to Sydney - and then immediately flew back. I think he was at the airport for a few hours.

Can't get much cheaper than that.
That's mad... and exhausting!
Well done to him though....

If it's a family can just one person go to validate them or do both adults/kids have to go as well?

Thanks
Jen
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

beans is an unknown quantity at this point

all family members named must go as far as im aware, just to get this right im waiting on a 175 so just say i get it in january 2011 so i can wait till january 2012 to enter and validate visas (within the 12 month window) and then another 4 years to return to oz to live if this is through then we have more time to save more cash for the big move and it takes come pressure off us now this will be great
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:36 am
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

Useful article all about visa validation:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Validation-Australia
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
That's mad... and exhausting!
Well done to him though....

If it's a family can just one person go to validate them or do both adults/kids have to go as well?

Thanks
Jen
You all need to go. The primary visa holder has to enter first.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

We visited in March with 2 boys aged 5 & 10 and stayed for 10 days. In that time we fixed up a rental house and schooling for the boys. Anything is doable if you make it!!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Out of interest - if we were to go and validate our visas on a holiday,
along with activating a bank account... I have family in Perth, if they were happy to let us use their address, would we be able to get a credit card or something?

I'm just thinking i'd like to buy a house and get a mortgage when we get there - and thought if we got a card or something that would start giving us a credit rating - would that help or not do you think?

Thanks for everyones help!
Jen
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:05 am
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

From the visa validation link I posted earlier:

Things to do on a validation trip

Open a bank account (or two), especially ones without charges. You can do this as a new migrant with just your passport, in the first few weeks, without needing to meet the 100 points ID test.

With a non-Australian address, the bank should only need to deduct 10% Non-Resident Tax from the interest.
You can claim this as a credit on your U.K. tax return (against the interest income).