Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest place to book flights from the uk

Cheapest place to book flights from the uk

Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:50 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest place to book flights from the uk

You may find that http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/news/a...he-flight-tax/ helps in explaining how a hop to a european city in leaving the UK can cut the ticket price. Mind at that close the christmas, its more a case of european cities with better cost structures to Oz. Lots of Brits going to Australia for christmas, not a lot of frogs, etc.

Oh, and Pollyana, I'm not sure MediaHint will block geo-locking on travel sites - the clue is in the name, it's focused on media. YMMV

Personally never had any problem with Opodo.co.uk , booking from here. In the end it's knowing the right flight and doing the research yourself. An agent might have better knowledge, but they are only going to put 5mins max into it - and you can spend longer and find the better options available by tweaking things. Who you buy the ticket off in the end tends to make only $5-10 difference.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 12:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
You may find that http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/news/a...he-flight-tax/ helps in explaining how a hop to a european city in leaving the UK can cut the ticket price. Mind at that close the christmas, its more a case of european cities with better cost structures to Oz. Lots of Brits going to Australia for christmas, not a lot of frogs, etc.

Oh, and Pollyana, I'm not sure MediaHint will block geo-locking on travel sites - the clue is in the name, it's focused on media. YMMV

Personally never had any problem with Opodo.co.uk , booking from here. In the end it's knowing the right flight and doing the research yourself. An agent might have better knowledge, but they are only going to put 5mins max into it - and you can spend longer and find the better options available by tweaking things. Who you buy the ticket off in the end tends to make only $5-10 difference.
OK, worked for me with Qantas UK when in Aus, so I guess its worth a try though
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend singapore airlines, book on their own site and you get the same price you find on other online travel agents, but you are cutting out the middle man and booking direct. I have flown many times and never had a problem with them
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I would recommend singapore airlines, book on their own site and you get the same price you find on other online travel agents, but you are cutting out the middle man and booking direct. I have flown many times and never had a problem with them
Another factor to consider when booking directly with the carrier, whether it be Singapore or any other carrier, is the cost and ease of changing flights, should it become necessary. Dealing through a third party when trying to change flights can be 'challenging' to say the least.

I use the various search engines to find the cheapest seat available though the agents ( Amadeus is my favourite ), and then check the cost of booking the same flight through the airline. I almost always book the flight through the carrier.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

indiana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave99

Thanks Dave

We flew singapore last year uk to perth and they were the cheapest, when i checked flight times and prices this time they were all in excess of 40 hours, or shorter flights but over £4000, probably because i've left booking so late.

I've just managed to book this morning and booked etihad and virgin, which are the only 2 airlines we've no experience of, fingers crossed the flights will be ok, I got 33 hrs and 32 hrs flights, and from Manchester on the 18th December for £1602 with opodo i think it was through kayak, i've looked at so many I can't actually remember the details of what I went with! there was one other cheaper but they wanted over £50 to pay by debit or credit card which made them slightly more expensive, so after going around the houses and realising there wasn't a huge difference plus it said only 4 seats left (not sure if thats a lie to make you book faster), I think I ended up going with the first one I looked at, only difference it had gone up nearly £300 since saturday when I started looking.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiana

...it had gone up nearly £300 since saturday when I started looking.
Perhaps there are only four seats left
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Kirstypowles is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, my husband flies out on the 28th of november and he booked with air india directly, it was £535 for the flight with 35kg of booked luggage and 8kg hand luggage very good flight times and only waiting 2 hours in DELHI for the connection flight. read a lot of reviews on air india and they seem good so hopefully it will be a cheap and pleasant flight!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Another factor to consider when booking directly with the carrier, whether it be Singapore or any other carrier, is the cost and ease of changing flights, should it become necessary. Dealing through a third party when trying to change flights can be 'challenging' to say the least.

I use the various search engines to find the cheapest seat available though the agents ( Amadeus is my favourite ), and then check the cost of booking the same flight through the airline. I almost always book the flight through the carrier.
The other way to go is to use the 'price match' offer some agents have to your advantage. I've just booked flights for us to travel in a few months with Emirates via their website. One well known agent which begins with Trail and ends in finders offers to beat any genuine offer.

I got the prices with Emirates directly from their website then rang the agent and told them what the Emirates fare was. The agent's best price was £30 each higher on a business class fare. Not much in it but £60 is better in my pocket and as you say you have more rights etc booking direct with the airline.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

neilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by indiana
Thank you, i've actually no idea if its google.co.uk, i just type it into the top of the screen and press enter, will check that now, i've never changed any of my laptop settings since moving as i still do most of my shopping in the uk, but certain things I google lately are just coming coming up oz sites only and even if typing in uk sites its still only bringing up oz sites or .com rather than uk.

I've found a return flight 33 ish hours for just over £1,500 which is better than the £1,800 i was getting before, and the cheaper flights seem to be in excess of 40 hours which is just too long. Will check out Kayak, thank you. It was a company called Omega who I used last time, my husband remembered the name!
I'm booking this for my son who is studying in the uk so need it to be as straight forward as possible travel and connection wise as he's young and not experienced in traveling alone, Old sparkles if you could pm the names of the companies you know that would be great,if you have time, obviously i know your not recommending them in any way, but might be worth taking a look. thanks again
Hey there . download app to your phone or laptop "skyscanner"....defo the best..type in leaving airport and date, and destination airport and date, and the app runs through all flights and gives best prices and itinerary..... cheers, neil
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

I've used asda a couple of times - worth a look.

http://www.asda-travel.co.uk/
Old Nov 10th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful with some airlines regarding booking and paying for someone else using your credit card as some carriers require you to produce the card at check in! I know Singapore used to