Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest flights ?

Cheapest flights ?

Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheapest flights ?

Does anyone know of a website where you can get cheap flights to Australia where you can enter a range of dates, eg any day in September? All the sites I've found require you to specify a particular date.

We've decided to fix our date for leaving and work all the other issues around that. For want of a better reason, the date may as well be the day on which the best value flights are available

any thoughts?
Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:06 am
Just Joined

ested is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How about standby

Okay I will put my hands up I have never done this, but my brother has with some outstanding results.

See if you can go on standby, if you can fly at a few hours notice you could save yourself some money.

Just a thought.
Apologies if this is an outdated idea...hmmm babbling now will go away, must be time for my medication

Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:11 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cheapest flights ?

Originally posted by sundarize
Does anyone know of a website where you can get cheap flights to Australia where you can enter a range of dates, eg any day in September? All the sites I've found require you to specify a particular date.

We've decided to fix our date for leaving and work all the other issues around that. For want of a better reason, the date may as well be the day on which the best value flights are available

any thoughts?
Hi

http://www.kangarooclub.co.uk has a list which will give you some indication of flight prices. I am leaving on the 29th September, and found that most airlines increase their prices to Oz on the 15th September. We are flying with Air New Zealand which does not increase it's flight prices until the 30th September.

Hope this helps

Mel
Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:34 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cheapest flights ?

Originally posted by sundarize

any thoughts?
Try

http://www.dialaflight.com/default.asp
Old Jun 16th 2003, 12:11 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Each flight consolidator will have the same flight on offer but each one will be offering a different price before tax.

All companies on the net ask for a departure date there is no way of getting round that. It will be the case of checking every date I am afraid.

However there are set fares for certain times of the year. For instance we are looking at going in Nov as the fares across all airlines go down from the 1st Nov - 31Nov/9 Dec.

This info can be found when you find a fare you can see when it is valid from and to.

I have discovered that Singapore are the cheapest in Nov and the best fare I have found is with Ebookers £396 plus tax one way.

A good site is www.cheapflights.co.uk this allows you to look across a wide range of flight consolidators and check out the fares.

Ebookers recommend taking the following into account when searching for low fares

Seasonality tips - when looking for availability for the lowest fares consider the following:

Date / Season of Travel - as airlines generally offer their lowest fares on specific dates and during seasons with the lowest demand, and all lowest fares are sold subject to limited availability, try to avoid travel during UK holidays especially for Mediterranean or long-haul destinations, or to European destinations on UK Bank Holiday dates, as well as during periods that will be holiday periods, or public holidays at your destination e.g. July 4th USA, Chinese New Year, Nov-Jan for Australia. Also try to avoid dates of travel that might coincide with special events at your required destination e.g. Monaco Grand Prix, Carnivale in Rio etc.

Days / Time of Travel - as airlines generally also offer their lowest fares on days and flights at times of the day with the lowest demand, generally Monday - Thursday, late morning - late afternoon, try different days and even times of day, depending upon your required destination.

European/UK domestic destinations - If the destination is attractive to leisure (weekend break) travelers e.g. Barcelona, Prague, Dublin then try to avoid outward travel Friday and inward travel on a Sunday. If the destination is more of a business travel destination or a UK domestic destination e.g. Frankfurt, Geneva, or Manchester then try to avoid early mornings, especially Mondays, and early evening.

Long-haul (includes USA/Canada destinations) - Try to avoid outward travel Friday evenings and early Saturday, and inward travel Saturday night and early Sunday, although in general avoid Fri-Sun.

Duration of Travel - as airlines generally offer their lowest fares subject to a restriction on the stay at the destination, try trips that would involve at least the minimum stay, depending upon your required destination:
a. USA/Canada destinations - usually a minimum stay of a Saturday night
b. Long-haul destinations - usually a minimum stay of 6 or 7 nights.
c. European/UK domestic destinations - usually a minimum stay of 2 nights or a Saturday night, although increasingly this restriction is being relaxed.

Roundtrips - usually cheaper than two one-way trips. If you are flexible why not search nearby airports. If the lower fares are sold out at one airport they may still be available at an airport nearby.

Direct / Via - try not to restrict yourself by only looking at flights that are direct. An indirect flight may take only marginally longer for you to reach your destination, and allow you to stretch those legs, AND afford you large savings?

Hope this helps! Otherwise if you can't be bothered with the hassle of searching phone them up and let an operator do the search for you!

Jo
Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

www.travelocity.co.uk / www.travelocity.com let you search for the cheapest flights during a selected period...

Useful for finding the cheapest dates/periods which you can then use to shop around for cheaper fares on other sites.

Ben
Old Jun 16th 2003, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

speckles is an unknown quantity at this point

try this one :- http://www.flights4less.co.uk/
Old Jun 17th 2003, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

try this one - www.flightcomparison.co.uk