Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap shipping options?

Cheap shipping options?

Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Britster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to all
Default Cheap shipping options?

Hi all,

Just found out that my baggage limit for flight to Brisbane from London with Emirates is 20kg! Going out for a year and was planning on taking a bit more than that! Not taking furniture or any big items, would just be one big suitcase that would need shipping - does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap shipping company I could use? Also any idea roughly how much this might cost?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Britster
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice
Default Re: Cheap shipping options?

Originally Posted by Britster
Hi all,

Just found out that my baggage limit for flight to Brisbane from London with Emirates is 20kg! Going out for a year and was planning on taking a bit more than that! Not taking furniture or any big items, would just be one big suitcase that would need shipping - does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap shipping company I could use? Also any idea roughly how much this might cost?

Britster
is there a reason that you need to take so much stuff? I went to the UK for 2 years and only took a 60 litre back pack. Perhaps you can scale down the packing.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by confuzzled
is there a reason that you need to take so much stuff? I went to the UK for 2 years and only took a 60 litre back pack. Perhaps you can scale down the packing.
Bloody hell that would be the weight of my carry on bag Is the OP a man or a woman??? Us ladies need our clothes, shoes and handbags
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Would also love to know of cheap shipping potions. I have read on here about 20ft containers, but not sure wud need all that space. Going over into rented (hopefully for 2 yrs, hopefully fully furnished). Wud need to take kids some stuff (not enough to fill a 20ft container tho)
Any other options???
Nicola
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nicola27
Would also love to know of cheap shipping potions. I have read on here about 20ft containers, but not sure wud need all that space. Going over into rented (hopefully for 2 yrs, hopefully fully furnished). Wud need to take kids some stuff (not enough to fill a 20ft container tho)
Any other options???
Nicola
Nicola, you can hire half of a 20ft container. You can use tea chests as well.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:08 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola27
Any other options???
Nicola
Everyone needs to recognize that shipping items becomes cheaper per kilo/cube the more you take... If you don't have much then people like Excess Baggage are very handy but remember that if you work out the cost per kilo/cube then it will always be more than moving stuff in a 20'/40' box... Where sensible comparisons can be made is if you are thinking of only part of a 20' box, then the people like Excess Baggage come into their own...
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Useful info.

Thanks
Nicola
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Britster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DrWho
Everyone needs to recognize that shipping items becomes cheaper per kilo/cube the more you take... If you don't have much then people like Excess Baggage are very handy but remember that if you work out the cost per kilo/cube then it will always be more than moving stuff in a 20'/40' box... Where sensible comparisons can be made is if you are thinking of only part of a 20' box, then the people like Excess Baggage come into their own...
Thnak so much for this!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I used personal porter for my excess baggage - just 1 suitcase.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:57 pm
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Smile Re: Cheap shipping options?

Hiya. Try sevenseas.com, they provide packing cases and all packaging materials and deliver door to door. they also quote online instantly. Hopefully we will be using them in the future! Diz x
Originally Posted by Britster
Hi all,

Britster