Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap days out in Sydney

Cheap days out in Sydney

Old Oct 4th 2006, 2:23 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question Cheap days out in Sydney

Apart from the obvious of going to a beach, or parks (assuming no extortionate parking charges/fines etc) any suggestions, or places to go for special offers?

For starters - Taronga Zoo. If it is your birthday (up to end of June 07 - take photo ID with DOB) you can get in for 90cents So as it was yesterday, DD (under 4 so even cheaper for free) & I cost 90c to get in, car $10 to wait outside, suncream (forgot to pack it ) $10, food from home = good & cheap day out.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap days out in Sydney

Originally Posted by walaj
Apart from the obvious of going to a beach, or parks (assuming no extortionate parking charges/fines etc) any suggestions, or places to go for special offers?

For starters - Taronga Zoo. If it is your birthday (up to end of June 07 - take photo ID with DOB) you can get in for 90cents So as it was yesterday, DD (under 4 so even cheaper for free) & I cost 90c to get in, car $10 to wait outside, suncream (forgot to pack it ) $10, food from home = good & cheap day out.
Sydneys best bargain used to be the ferries, some of the rides around the harbour were quite stunning, and a fraction of the price you would pay if you went on a harbour cruise.

Dont try the sydney bridge climb we looked into that and it was around $800 :scared: for a family.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sydneys best bargain used to be the ferries, some of the rides around the harbour were quite stunning, and a fraction of the price you would pay if you went on a harbour cruise.

Dont try the sydney bridge climb we looked into that and it was around $800 :scared: for a family.

Spit bridge to Manly walk, and the coogee walkway are great days out...beautiful scenery. Kuringhi park is great too...

Then there are the botanical parks as well as the museums which are pretty cool over here...
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:40 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Spit bridge to Manly walk, and the coogee walkway are great days out...beautiful scenery. Kuringhi park is great too...

Then there are the botanical parks as well as the museums which are pretty cool over here...
Yes, a wander thru the Royal Botanic Gardens then meander in to the Art Gallery of NSW. All free. Magic.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:21 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Did the bridge climb when I first visited Sydney - driving or walking across will do for me now!

We have hardly spent much time in central Sydney since moving here, thus walks around botanical gdns & ferry rides we have not done for some time ie when we took a few days out (staying hotel near the Rocks) to relax upon arrival. Any recommendation on which ferry ride are good - done the obvious tourist ones to Manly & Watson Bay.

Had heard & read re the manly/spit walk, that is on the to do list when I am in better ways to do long walks.

thanks
Old Oct 4th 2006, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by walaj
Did the bridge climb when I first visited Sydney - driving or walking across will do for me now!

We have hardly spent much time in central Sydney since moving here, thus walks around botanical gdns & ferry rides we have not done for some time ie when we took a few days out (staying hotel near the Rocks) to relax upon arrival. Any recommendation on which ferry ride are good - done the obvious tourist ones to Manly & Watson Bay.

Had heard & read re the manly/spit walk, that is on the to do list when I am in better ways to do long walks.

thanks
those two ferry rides are probably the best of the harbour for tourists
you could take the river cat out to Parramatta, but it does have the down side that you will end up in Parramatta
Old Oct 4th 2006, 11:59 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Ferry to the Olympic village is good, a nice cheao day out, stadium tour, also go for a dip in the olympic pool. Centenial Park is great especially in the summer when they do the Moonlight Cinema oh and Paddy's Market on Saturday is a must!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:03 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely the Spit /Manly walk. There's some beautiful walks around there. Check out a map.
Why not jump on a train and visit the Blue Mountains? Hour and a half on the train, nice scenery, lunch up here, Scenic Railway, or just fabulous walk and picnic.
Not that I'm baised at all....
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:11 am

on the special offers front, i've found this website to be quite good for the major attractions...
www.whatsoninsydney.com.au
go to the special offers page and print off what you want
they even give you more discount than you can get on the aquarium or zoo websites for instance
if you're in Sydney airport domestic terminal you can pick up their book of vouchers, i've never seen it at the int. terminal though???