Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap calls to Oz?

Cheap calls to Oz?

Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Question Cheap calls to Oz?

G'day people,

With us leaving our folks behind here in the UK on 16th Jan, just been looking around at who offers the most competitive rates for calling australia. Just got a phone bill and saw that they charge 42p/min:scared:

So obviously don't want the parents to remortgage their place in order to talk to us. "It's good to talk", but not at the BT rate

Has anyone had experience with NTL (who charge you 2pounds/month for 5p/min, Easydial (charge 5p/min) etc? The process needs to be fairly simple for the oldies

Thanks

Piers
Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:19 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cheap calls to Oz?

Originally posted by piers_morgan
G'day people,

With us leaving our folks behind here in the UK on 16th Jan, just been looking around at who offers the most competitive rates for calling australia. Just got a phone bill and saw that they charge 42p/min:scared:

So obviously don't want the parents to remortgage their place in order to talk to us. "It's good to talk", but not at the BT rate

Has anyone had experience with NTL (who charge you 2pounds/month for 5p/min, Easydial (charge 5p/min) etc? The process needs to be fairly simple for the oldies

Thanks

Piers

Hi PM,

Try One tel or Alpha telecom they have no monthly fees and charge 3p per minute to OZ.

A good place to look for the numbers of these operators is in TNT the backpackers magazine. Im sure it could be found on the internet.

When I next travel into london I will get some of the numbers for you if somebody has not already given them to you.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I phone home to Australia at least once a fortnight with BT, and have found them to be quite cheap. We are on the friends and family scheme, (which according to their web site offers 10% discount), and because I only phone at weekends, the cost is kept to a minimum. I have just checked my November phone bill, and of the 5 calls I made to Australia, the bill was just over £4.00. One of those calls was for 28 minutes and came out at £2.17. Obviously if the calls are at peak time, i.e. during the week, then cost is likely to be more.

Hope this helps
Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:24 pm
WBB

i have a number here i use to call oz, i am with ntl, you just dial the number first then a star (*) then the number you want with interntional dialing code.

costs a penny a minute offpeak and 3p peak.

bargain.

i will dig it out for you and post it here.

Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

how does 1p a minute sound......no signing up & no credit cards needed???

http://www.telediscount.co.uk/index2.php
Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:31 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Rossi

thats the one !

saves me rummaging around for the number.

Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:34 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rossi

That's brilliant Rossi. I have just emailed it to my family. 1p a minute UK to NZ, anytime.

Fantastic!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

Thanks Welshboy.

That should make my Welsh in-laws happier!!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

saga is an unknown quantity at this point

Try www.topup2call.co.uk.
Calls from UK land line
to Australia landlines is 1p/min
to Australia mobiles is 1p/min
Calls from UK mobile
to Australia landlines is 6p/min
to Australia mobiles is 22p/min

Calls from UK land line
to NZ landlines is 1p/min
to NZ mobiles is 8p/min
Calls from UK mobile
to NZ mobiles is 29p/min
Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:09 pm
WBB

Originally posted by saga
Try www.topup2call.co.uk.
Calls from UK land line
to Australia landlines is 1p/min
to Australia mobiles is 1p/min
Calls from UK mobile
to Australia landlines is 6p/min
to Australia mobiles is 22p/min

Calls from UK land line
to NZ mobiles is 8p/min
Calls from UK mobile
to NZ mobiles is 29p/min
this thread is over 2 months old, are you just going to post about cheap calls or have you got something else to add?

Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:39 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

we use card we buy from a local newsagents. it costs a fiver and u can phone for two hours. u need to dial a load of numbers tho.