Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap calls to Australia

Cheap calls to Australia

Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:12 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheap calls to Australia

So far I have found telediscount at 1.9p/min and one-tel at 3p/min (landlines). Does anyone have opinions of either of these services or an alternative?
Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cheap calls to Australia

Originally Posted by worzel
So far I have found telediscount at 1.9p/min and one-tel at 3p/min (landlines). Does anyone have opinions of either of these services or an alternative?

I have used telediscount and telesavers (i think they are the same company). telesavers is 1p/min to OZ at the moment. You can't say fairer than that!! Costs me more than that to phone the Midlands from Essex!!
Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Qui~Gon is an unknown quantity at this point

Means your in the UK you could try this company 18866 calls to OZ is 2p a min but here's the bonus all national calls you make in UK cost 1p and thats NOT p1 amin its just 1p for the connection and no worries as to how long your on the phone for! (should keep the girls busy )
Been with them for 2 months now no problems thiers a online bill for you to look at but no paper version and you got to call via a access number over all I'm very happy with them.

Old Nov 12th 2004, 5:50 pm
Going to Perth late 2005

timk is on a distinguished road

I have used onetel for years, never any problems and beats BT by a mile, there are loads of similar firms - all much if a muchness, pennies seperating them

tim

Old Nov 13th 2004, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Ok, not the cheapest, but most integrated. I have started using www.skype.com s/w. its 2 euro cents a minute to anywhere in Europe/Oz/US and you call from your PC. Its good as you put all your contacts in there, and for those of them that have a PC and microphone/cam, I call for free. I dont pay to call my brother in the US or family in the UK now. It is also good for video conferencing and unlike msn messenger you can conference call upto 4 people.

So, mum, Dad, little Bros in the UK, My elder Bro and wife in the US and my best mate in Sweden can all chat away at the same time on our PCs (and video with webcams if we want) for free! Or 2 cents to call a friends actual phone from my PC.

One address book, no calling cards, its good.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 9:18 am
Go Banana's !!

We also use www.skype.com now and if you can put up with a minor delay then it saves a fortune !Music to my ears after seeing what Jill has spent whilst I have been in the UK !

We speak to rellies most days and being free it takes the stress of thinking about how much the bill is likely to be.

I can highly reccomend it although don't think it will work for dial up ?

Warren
Perth and loving it !

Old Nov 13th 2004, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
We also use www.skype.com now and if you can put up with a minor delay then it saves a fortune !Music to my ears after seeing what Jill has spent whilst I have been in the UK !

We speak to rellies most days and being free it takes the stress of thinking about how much the bill is likely to be.

I can highly reccomend it although don't think it will work for dial up ?

Warren
Perth and loving it !
You can use it for voice only. My little Bro has dial up and its okay. You cant be browsing the web or doing anything else though, and occasionally its choppy. Also bare in mind that the host (the person who starts the conversation) brunts the bandwidth for all users in a conference (all users video/audio goes via them) so make sure the host is the one using the broadband connection if there is more than 2 users at a time.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Qui~Gon is an unknown quantity at this point

I've also use skype great for family get together, only one small problem with it for me is that I cant buy any more credit for calling land lines as it keeps refusing my CC and before some bugger say then put some credit on it, thiers nothing wrong with the card its skype web site have trouble with it; thats me and a few 100s of us pity its a good program.

Anyone tried sipgate ? been looking at it but would to hear from some one that is using it.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 8:51 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Worzel

Try TalkTalk part of the Carphone warehouse free calls to Oz and USA for the first year and much cheaper than BT on the standard stuff
Old Nov 15th 2004, 10:22 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bed Of Roses
Worzel

Try TalkTalk part of the Carphone warehouse free calls to Oz and USA for the first year and much cheaper than BT on the standard stuff
Cheers guys. I don't need to make calls just yet but once we get close to going there will be a lot of calls made when I wake up / just before bed job hunting etc. And when I break the news to my parents in 3 weeks I can tell them not to worry about the phone bills, at least.