Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap accomodation

Cheap accomodation

Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough
Default Cheap accomodation

Hi

We will be travelling to Oz in October for our validation trip. (Sydney for 1 week and then down to Melbourne for 1 week)

Money is a bit tight and I wondered if anyone could recommend cheap, safe, clean accomodation

I have looked at backpacker hostels, as these seem to be within our price range, but would they be suitable for an 18 year old and a 'young at heart' 43 year old women!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap accomodation

Originally Posted by November11
Hi

We will be travelling to Oz in October for our validation trip. (Sydney for 1 week and then down to Melbourne for 1 week)

Money is a bit tight and I wondered if anyone could recommend cheap, safe, clean accomodation

I have looked at backpacker hostels, as these seem to be within our price range, but would they be suitable for an 18 year old and a 'young at heart' 43 year old women!
I would have thought so, some of them are really nice. I stayed at a backpackers in Coogee beach (up on the hill) and it was great. I also stayed at a place in St Kilda (Melbourne) and it seemed like a dosshouse for scum bag ozzies
Otherwise you might want to look at Big4 sites. A bit more expensive than backpackers but at least you would hae your own cabin / shower / kitchen.

Backpackers are great socially though.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks

Do you have a website address for Big4?
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:02 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

sticking me nose in.............http://www.big4.com.au/public/
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
sticking me nose in.............http://www.big4.com.au/public/
Thank you

A bit like Centre Parcs? But hopefully not as expensive!?
Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

A bit like Centre Parcs? But hopefully not as expensive!?
They are not like Centre Parcs! far more like a Haven holiday park ie they have swimming pool, barbecue areas etc. But none of the ones we stayed at had indoor oasis's, horse riding etc.

Out of all the ones we stayed at, the nicest was at Cairns, then Mission Beach then Maroochydore. The one at Port Maquirie wasn't that good (tiny TV, felt like a shed) and the one south of Brisbane was dead (like a retirement village)

We stayed at Yepoon and we were told in the morning that there was a big snake under our cabin (carpet viper)
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:04 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You could try posting on "TheTripadvisor".
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

Hi

Hi I spent 2 months in Australia with my teenage son on a very tight budget!
We stayed in hostels and had a great time.
Met people of all age groups.
The YHA hostels tend not to be 'partying backpacker' hostels and are clean with good facilities.
Stayed in both Melbourne and Sydney.
Alison
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pata
Hi I spent 2 months in Australia with my teenage son on a very tight budget!
We stayed in hostels and had a great time.
Met people of all age groups.
The YHA hostels tend not to be 'partying backpacker' hostels and are clean with good facilities.
Stayed in both Melbourne and Sydney.
Alison
Thanks Alison
Are there any hostels that you would recommend in Sydney or Melbourne?
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

Thanks Alison
I stayed at Melbourne Oasis(Chapman Gardens) YHA, and in Sydney, Glebe Point YHA and Railway Square YHA.
All three were nice if you are happy with basic accommodation without the frills.
The Blue Mountains YHA is really nice if you are heading in that direction.
They all have good, clean shower and toilets and usually great communal kitchen facilities. We cooked our own meals most of the time, its a good way to meet people.
I am a member which gives you a discount. I think its cheaper to join here but might not be worth it if you're not going to use it again.
Chapman Gdns is a short tram journey from the centre, in a residential area, there is a bigger one a bit closer.
Railway Sq is pretty central, some dorms are railway carriages!
They all have twin rooms aswell.
I was concerned that that it might be all 20 year olds wanting to party all the time but that is not the case, lots of 40's and older.
Look up the website www.yha.com.au
There is also another site for hostels which gives reviews
www.bug.co.uk
Hope this helps
Alison
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Alison
We are just back from a validation trip. Do you know yet what area you plan to settle?
I am thinking the Sunshine Coast at the moment.
When do you plan to go?
Alison