Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Charges in State High School

Charges in State High School

Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Charges in State High School

I've just had an idea of how much the subject and other charges will be for next year and thought I would post it if it is of any use. Charges in a state school depend on which subjects you choose and you are expected to pay a contribution towards the consumables costs of those courses. The year is split into 2 semesters and you might for example choose English 03 "TV: Idiot Box" for semester 1 and English 05 "Myths & Legends" for semester 2. There is a charge of $20 for each of these. A technical course is dearer because you use more stuff so graphics design is $35 per semester. The dearest is the geography because of field trips etc, that is $50.

So for 2006 Semester 1 (this is Year 9 by the way) the fees will be $126 and semester 2 $155. Added to that there are annual charges to be paid at the beginning of the year. There is a $150 general charge to cover affiliations to sporting bodies, student diary, ID card, stationery, maintenance, venue hire and admin costs. There is an IT levy of $140, $100 "voluntary" contribution to parents association and $22 for the school magazine. All up $538 at the beginning of semester 1 and still the $155 for semester 2.

Then if you get involved in sports ...... Rowing club is the dearest because of the upkeep of the boats and the rowing shed. So that's going to cost me $300 for the season, actually it might only be $100 because he's the cox. Membership of the football team I think is only $40.

I know a lot of people will be going into private schools but for those planning on going in the state system hope this helps with your budgeting.

Sue
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charges in State High School

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
I've just had an idea of how much the subject and other charges will be for next year and thought I would post it if it is of any use. Charges in a state school depend on which subjects you choose and you are expected to pay a contribution towards the consumables costs of those courses. The year is split into 2 semesters and you might for example choose English 03 "TV: Idiot Box" for semester 1 and English 05 "Myths & Legends" for semester 2. There is a charge of $20 for each of these. A technical course is dearer because you use more stuff so graphics design is $35 per semester. The dearest is the geography because of field trips etc, that is $50.

So for 2006 Semester 1 (this is Year 9 by the way) the fees will be $126 and semester 2 $155. Added to that there are annual charges to be paid at the beginning of the year. There is a $150 general charge to cover affiliations to sporting bodies, student diary, ID card, stationery, maintenance, venue hire and admin costs. There is an IT levy of $140, $100 "voluntary" contribution to parents association and $22 for the school magazine. All up $538 at the beginning of semester 1 and still the $155 for semester 2.

Then if you get involved in sports ...... Rowing club is the dearest because of the upkeep of the boats and the rowing shed. So that's going to cost me $300 for the season, actually it might only be $100 because he's the cox. Membership of the football team I think is only $40.

I know a lot of people will be going into private schools but for those planning on going in the state system hope this helps with your budgeting.

Sue

State school primary lists out here. State is the gov system (the free one)

Grade 7 book list $176 (bare in mind if yove done previous years here you might have some stuff already)
Camp they want the money now $195
School contribution $60
Science levy $20
Craft levy $20

You then pay for stuff like swimming, outings, educational experiences throughout the year.
Some examples
Joining soccer was $140
Swimming was $20 bargain! for 4 lessons
Bowling was $40
Keyboard was $90 a term
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Oh no, I forgot the book list. I've no idea on that. Starting at the end of semester 2 year 8 the teachers said he didn't need to buy the books but I'll deffo need to get some next year. Some books you can re-use if you have them already so make sure you bring your dictionary, theasaurus, possibly atlas. You will be expected (as in UK) to provide folders, pens, pencils, paper etc.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Charges in State High School

Sue
Sorry, but which state is this?

Remember, you can't just use one example and say "This is how it is in Australia"; you have to be specific, because every state has its own way of doing things. So you can only really say "This is how it is done in (X)."

And I've never heard of a state school with two semesters before, nor have I heard of a state school which charges by the course.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 10th 2005 at 7:50 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Remember, you can't just use one example and say "This is how it is in Australia"; you have to be specific, because every state has its own way of doing things. So you can only really say "This is how it is done in (X)."

And I've never heard of a state school with two semesters before, nor have I heard of a state school which charges by the course.
I have not said this is how it is in Australia. I have said these are the charges I will be paying next year just in case it is of use to anyone. Obviously I cannot tell what everyone in every state will pay. If you look at my signature you will see it says Brisvegas. So obviously the State is Queensland, the city is Brisbane. The school is Brisbane State High and the charges are there for anyone to read in the newsletter which is published on their website. I'm sorry you have not heard of other schools doing it this way but I am here and you aren't. I've remembered now why I stopped posting on this site.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Sues logo says Highate Hill brisbane.

Schools indeed divide the year into 2 semesters, it just means half the year. There are 4 terms tho in all states.

The costs sue has given are similar to what we paid when we had one in state high school, except we could hire the books for I think $250 a year.

Every state is different, maybe someone from daylight saving states might get up later and add to the thread.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have not said this is how it is in Australia. I have said these are the charges I will be paying next year just in case it is of use to anyone. Obviously I cannot tell what everyone in every state will pay. If you look at my signature you will see it says Brisvegas. So obviously the State is Queensland, the city is Brisbane. The school is Brisbane State High and the charges are there for anyone to read in the newsletter which is published on their website. I'm sorry you have not heard of other schools doing it this way but I am here and you aren't. I've remembered now why I stopped posting on this site.

Dont stop posting, what you wrote was a very useful, accurate, up to date and informative thread.

However if you want to be popular you could delete it and write ITS FREE
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:06 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

i know my daughters High School does the hire books for years 8, 9 and 10. Not sure about 11, 12 (tell you next year) I pay about $400 a year for everything she needs at school, except for any excursions, bus fares etc
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Charges in State High School

Well, I am Australian and lived in Australia for 30 years, during which time I never heard of any school doing it the way yours does.

But if that's how it's done, then that's how it's done!

Just goes to show how big some of those state differences can be!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a daughter moving into Year 7 next year and our costs are

Stationery and book pack $72.50
Voluntary contribution $50

Can't remember instrumental lesson cost but I think it was in the order of $200 for the whole year.

Although I have to buy the stationery pack, by the time I had visited WH Smiths and kitted her out with new pencil case, pens etc the cost would not be that much different.

I also think that as you are purchasing them yourselves the children seem to look after their things better.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

stuart-little is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

My childrens school does exactly as your childrens school does, charges per course, and also the year is split into 2 semesters, I think it is pretty much the norm over here to do it that way. Also it seems to be the norm to have to buy all the text books, which can be pretty expensive, but at my childrens school they offer a book hire for $90 a year which is fantastic. Last year I think it cost me about $1200 for the 3 of them, for everything, book hire, subjects, admin fee, etc etc. I am in Melbourne

Vicki
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:15 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue

Yes our high school has the exact same charges and is split into semesters for charging, still has the four terms of course.

I have the opportunity to hire the books only in Years 11 and 12.

All in about $600 per child per year is the level I am running at - remember those library and book fund 'contribution' (not the book fees) - about $60 per child in our case is actually tax refundable on your tax return if split out by the school. (check the ATO web site or with your accountant).

PS .......I am in Sydney - like my location says
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

hblondie26 is a jewel in the roughhblondie26 is a jewel in the roughhblondie26 is a jewel in the roughhblondie26 is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Re: Charges in State High School

HELP !!!! can anyone let me know if this is applicable to Sydney schools (primary) and also do you have any idea about private schools, or indeed how to find a list of schools in Sydney area ?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:12 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002
Voluntary contribution $50
Ignoring the obvious, wtf is a voluntary contribution?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
Ignoring the obvious, wtf is a voluntary contribution?
It is exactly that!!! The school set a contribution for each child to pay to go towards extras that they might use, but it is a voluntary payment, I have no idea how many don't pay it........I'm paying ours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.