Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing UK plugs

Changing UK plugs

Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

tamz96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing UK plugs

We have just moved to Sydney and shipped many of our electrical goods out here, including a fridge freezer and washing machine.
Does anybody have any ideas on how to change UK electrical plugs to Australian?
Also will changing the plugs affect the performance of the appliance (due to the fact that they are 10 amp plugs here rather than 13amp)?
We had an Aussie electrician look at our fridge which is having problems freezing at the mo - (not sure if this is an electrical fault or if it has been bashed about in the shipment too much) - and he didn't have a clue what to do !!!
Any help appreciated - especially those of you in the Sydney area who may know of someone who could show us how to do it! Thnx.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing UK plugs

Originally Posted by tamz96
We have just moved to Sydney and shipped many of our electrical goods out here, including a fridge freezer and washing machine.
Also will changing the plugs affect the performance of the appliance (due to the fact that they are 10 amp plugs here rather than 13amp)?
We had an Aussie electrician look at our fridge which is having problems freezing at the mo - (not sure if this is an electrical fault or if it has been bashed about in the shipment too much) - and he didn't have a clue what to do !!!
Any help appreciated - especially those of you in the Sydney area who may know of someone who could show us how to do it! Thnx.
You can buy them at Bunnings for about $3 each. Cut off the UK plug and following the instructions that come with the Aussie plug, connect it up. Remember, Live-L is A-Active on an Aussie plug. It's pretty straightforward. Most appliances will be fine on a 10amp plug. UK fast boil kettles - which are 3kW or about 13amps - should not be used here.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamz96
Hi 'Tam' not sure if you are the Tam of the Hitchcock Clan recently moved to Sydney?- if you are then you'll know me and feel free to mail me I'll be glad to help.

I've changed most of my plugs to Oz ones. Don't worry about the 13 amp / 10 amp thing. As Oz plugs are not fused, there's nothing to blow so they'll be alright with a bit of extra power going through them. (hear's loud bang in back ground has kettle blows up!)

Regarding the fridge..I think there is two points:

Damage - even not visible, is a good possibility. Fridges don't move well round the UK, never mind overseas

The other point is that generally UK fridges are made for lower outside temps - i.e. may see two or three days a year in England with the temp above 25 deg C - therefore their cooling mechanism are generally different from Oz ones, which are designed for constantly higher outside temps. But with the weather has been in Sydney lately, I can't see it being this problem as yet!

I have my UK fridge and Oz fridges running side by side and the two systems are noticably different.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Dont tell an Oz elctricians this!
I asked the guy who fitted our foxtel were I could buy plugs. He started moaning about only a qualified electrician should fit plugs and I need to pay an expert!
Ive been putting on plugs since I was about 13years old. So not impressed.

GEMS
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:01 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gems
I asked the guy who fitted our foxtel were I could buy plugs. He started moaning about only a qualified electrician should fit plugs and I need to pay an expert!

GEMS
hi all,
we decided because there was so much electrical stuff to bring our uk extensions with fuse and power surge protectors on them over, so just changed the plugs on them instead. im sure hubby will get round to doing them all eventually but its all working fine and less hassle on arrival.
lesley
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

GEMS
Ignore him - sparkies are full of shit.
Buy 'em at Bunnings, do it yourself.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:15 pm
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Buy 'em at Bunnings, do it yourself.

Ditto that - we have just changed the plugs on our washing machine, Dyson, hair straighteners, hair dryer etc with no problems at all.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VikkiL
Ditto that - we have just changed the plugs on our washing machine, Dyson, hair straighteners, hair dryer etc with no problems at all.
Except do you not find that trying to get the bit where the wires clamp to then fit into the outer part is a absolute bugger? Just appears they are all slightly too tight.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Except do you not find that trying to get the bit where the wires clamp to then fit into the outer part is a absolute bugger? Just appears they are all slightly too tight.
Aussie plugs have not been designed very well that's for sure.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Aussie plugs have not been designed very well that's for sure.
Probably all made in China which is why they are all so shite.

Chinese Factory Worker Can't Believe The Shit He Makes For Americans

FENGHUA, CHINA—Chen Hsien, an employee of Fenghua Ningbo Plastic Works Ltd., a plastics factory that manufactures lightweight household items for Western markets, expressed his disbelief Monday over the "sheer amount of shit Americans will buy."

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31049
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:27 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

GEMS

Only in QLD is this true.

As for me, I'm still using the UK -> AU adaptors I bought in the $ shop...

S
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:44 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
I've changed most of my plugs to Oz ones. Don't worry about the 13 amp / 10 amp thing. As Oz plugs are not fused, there's nothing to blow so they'll be alright with a bit of extra power going through them. .

the vast majority of applicances will pull under 13amp ( 4.2 amp per 1000w )
dont use a 10amp plug for anything bigger tha 10amp though
as your asking for trouble, electrical fires in timber houses aint pretty

regards steve
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

GEMS
I got told we had to get electrician out to change light bulbs....sod that!!! Do they think we are all stupid.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Probably all made in China which is why they are all so shite.
What a sweeping statement.

Are you try to say fewer British plugs than Australian are made in China, therefore making the British ones less shite?

IMHO, quality depends more on the design and QC than where the goods are made. You also get what you pay for. I've bought made-in-China Jagaer dress shirts and made-in-Europe Next and M&S shirts. Guess which ones are of better quality, last longer, and of course, cost more?

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:17 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
What a sweeping statement.

Are you try to say fewer British plugs than Australian are made in China, therefore making the British ones less shite?

IMHO, quality depends more on the design and QC than where the goods are made. You also get what you pay for. I've bought made-in-China Jagaer dress shirts and made-in-Europe Next and M&S shirts. Guess which ones are of better quality, last longer, and of course, cost more?

Mrs JTL

No, I think he made a sweeping statement like that to draw attention to the article from The Onion that he linked below

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.