Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing school dilemma

Changing school dilemma

Old May 6th 2005, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

wayne&mandy will become famous soon enough
Default Changing school dilemma

I have a dilemma! We are hoping to move to Brisbane as soon as is possible BUT one daughter should be going into her final school year in September and taking her GCSEs next summer. Do we still go or wait? Mandy
Old May 6th 2005, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Re: Changing school dilemma

Difficult one. Does your daughter expect to carry on with her schooling until 18? In which case I'd be tempted to go now so she can get properly into their school system. If she wants to finish schooling at 16 though maybe stay? What does she want to do?
Old May 6th 2005, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Difficult one. Does your daughter expect to carry on with her schooling until 18? In which case I'd be tempted to go now so she can get properly into their school system. If she wants to finish schooling at 16 though maybe stay? What does she want to do?
Hi Sue,
She wants to go into hairdressing so she would probably leave at 16 and go to college if we were to stay over here. I just don't want to disrupt her any more than needs be, she doesn't want to go as it is. Another problem is our eldest daughter will be 18 next summer, she wants to come and if we stay that will also be a problem with the visa. We should have gone when they were small then I wouldnt feel so bad!
Old May 6th 2005, 11:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wayne&mandy
Hi Sue,
She wants to go into hairdressing so she would probably leave at 16 and go to college if we were to stay over here. I just don't want to disrupt her any more than needs be, she doesn't want to go as it is. Another problem is our eldest daughter will be 18 next summer, she wants to come and if we stay that will also be a problem with the visa. We should have gone when they were small then I wouldnt feel so bad!
Why not just validate the visas with a holiday and move when she finishes her GCSE?

It doesn't matter if your older daughter turns 18 or becomes independent *after* your visas are validated.

Jeremy
Old May 7th 2005, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why not just validate the visas with a holiday and move when she finishes her GCSE?

It doesn't matter if your older daughter turns 18 or becomes independent *after* your visas are validated.

Jeremy
Affordability of a holiday isn't a problem,however the money we spend getting there etc could be put towards shipping, etc.Do we all have to go to validate the visas?
Old May 7th 2005, 8:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Affordability of a holiday isn't a problem,however the money we spend getting there etc could be put towards shipping, etc.Do we all have to go to validate the visas?
Depends what sort of visa you have. If it's a spouse for either you or hubby then no. If it's not then yes. The main applicant could go on own and come back but the others would still need to validate before the date.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Depends what sort of visa you have. If it's a spouse for either you or hubby then no. If it's not then yes. The main applicant could go on own and come back but the others would still need to validate before the date.
I havent even applied yet. But I will be applying for a skilled independent visa (I am a RN) I am right at the very beginning of the process, as in not even sent any paperwork off yet. I have my first step of forms ready to be signed. And just debating about this school situation! Thanks for advice. Mandy
Old May 7th 2005, 12:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For skilled independent - yes, you all have to validate.

As to when you should apply, it's your choice but the issue about children turning 18 before visa grant (and then being refused on the basis of being 'independent') is a very serious one.

You may just have to accept the need for a validation holiday.

Jeremy
Old May 7th 2005, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Born2tri will become famous soon enoughBorn2tri will become famous soon enough

Hi Mandy,

Just wanted to let you know my daughter is the same age and a son of 13 but we are going to Brisbane without ever being there before the end of July when they will of finished yr 10 and 8. We feel that we are giving them a great experience and opportunity and they can't wait which is great for us. We dont want to leave it any later as like you said it may get harder the older they are.
We are hoping to maybe get them into a school around September time which will give them a couple of months to get to know some friends and find out how there system works before starting the eqivalent to our yr 11 and 9 in January.
Good luck anyway with what you decide.

Lisa
Old May 7th 2005, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Born2tri
Hi Mandy,

Just wanted to let you know my daughter is the same age and a son of 13 but we are going to Brisbane without ever being there before the end of July when they will of finished yr 10 and 8. We feel that we are giving them a great experience and opportunity and they can't wait which is great for us. We dont want to leave it any later as like you said it may get harder the older they are.
We are hoping to maybe get them into a school around September time which will give them a couple of months to get to know some friends and find out how there system works before starting the eqivalent to our yr 11 and 9 in January.
Good luck anyway with what you decide.

Lisa
Thanks Lisa, I will keep churning it over. Like you we have never been but have friends there and friends who are going at the same time so hopefully it wont be too bad. At least the kids will have some familiar faces.
Old May 8th 2005, 6:50 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

I have a dilemma! We are hoping to move to Brisbane as soon as is possible BUT one daughter should be going into her final school year in September and taking her GCSEs next summer. Do we still go or wait? Mandy
Hi Wayne & Mandy.

Very same thing happend to us, managed to get to school in time to celebrate year 10 formal (cost a small fortune) now taking HSC year 12 and a second formal on the horizon. Must say we never regreted one moment doing really well and planning to go to Uni.

Marie
Old May 8th 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Milo
Hi Wayne & Mandy.

Very same thing happend to us, managed to get to school in time to celebrate year 10 formal (cost a small fortune) now taking HSC year 12 and a second formal on the horizon. Must say we never regreted one moment doing really well and planning to go to Uni.

Marie

Hi Milo, thats great news, you must be proud. Is the 'formal' like a prom? I think it will be better for her to finish her education over there being as that is where we will live! afterall, her qualifications will be recognised. I just remember leaving her at school one her first day of secondary and it broke my heart, I will feel guilty for giving her the anxiety of starting all over again with not a sole she knows. I know she'll be ok but I cant help but worry!
Mandy :scared: