Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing Plugs to Aussie Sockets Wot no Fuse?

Wikiposts

Changing Plugs to Aussie Sockets Wot no Fuse?

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:44 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Plugs to Aussie Sockets Wot no Fuse?

Originally Posted by spalen
Thanks for that hour of pleasure...question...what if you have no insurance?!
And what if the fire burns the paperwork given to you by the electrician to say that he did the work
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:45 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck
The best way to get it right ( and an old spark told me this) when you are looking at the plug - the side the wires go in - the Left hand pin takes the bLue wire and the Right hand pin takes the bRown wire.

L = left = bLue.

R = right = bRown.
That's okay for UK plugs, but could get you in trouble down here.

The rule for nuts and screws "righty tighty lefty loosey" works okay.

A.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:20 pm
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
That's okay for UK plugs, but could get you in trouble down here.

The rule for nuts and screws "righty tighty lefty loosey" works okay.

A.
Well I have used this method for all my plug changes and no problems thus far. All electrical items work just dandy.

Hell I am typing this on my laptop which has an Aussie plug on.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:30 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Well I have used this method for all my plug changes and no problems thus far. All electrical items work just dandy.

On an earth return power line?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

wortho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
mmmmm.... I know good electrician near you

But yes, they have no fuses, that thingy (Safety Switch) in the main switch box should do the trick, but you may need to check if your place has one !
They should stop you getting those tingly feelings.
Good idea to fit one of these (RCD Safety switch). Fuses don't protect people as such as usually they will not blow unless a sufficient amount of current is passed through the fuse. A typical UK fused plug would have a 13 Amp fuse & thats a lot of "electric shock" to a person. An Residual current device (RCD) however works on an imbalance between the Active & Neutral & usually an imbalance of 30ma will trip it quickly enough to prevent an electric shock. Fuses are good for protecting consumer goods & preventing fires but do little to prevent electric shocks. A single RCD can protect all circuits in the home for the price of around $150 plus the Electricians time as its a licensed Electricians job only. Good idea to leave the fridge on a non RCD circuit as if they trip when your away your tucker is ruined.
Cheers
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:42 pm
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Megalania
On an earth return power line?
Yes, I am on planet Earth.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:49 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

And don`t confuse the `L` terminal in a light switch for Live Because it is actually the `Loop` terminal(Where you can put your neutrals). Use `C` for your `live` or `Feed` and `1` for your switch wire.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:57 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Yes, I am on planet Earth.
Was surposed to be a joke - not over yer head.

Earth return power line may be outside your experience - a single (active) wire power line where the current returns through the earth not through an another (neutral) wire. Used where long distances and low power requirement maked dual power lines excessively expensive to erect - such as to farm houses.

A transformer at the users end of the line isolates the users circuits from the ground so power does not flow to ground through the users appliances.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
And what if the fire burns the paperwork given to you by the electrician to say that he did the work
Its australia, at least 7 other government departments would have a copy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:50 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Sod this...Im off to the TAFE for my electricians 101 (12mths) , then it'll be advanced electrical studies ( 2yrs ) ,

....then apply for my certificate with Queensland Institute of Sparkies , that'll take 3mths and require certified copies of my birth, passport, marriage, certificates as well as duplicates of my course work at TAFE including all my birthday cards during the course and copies of receipts from the canteen proving I attended.....

Then... maybe then.... I'll be allowed to change my own freeking plugs.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Sod this...Im off to the TAFE for my electricians 101 (12mths) , then it'll be advanced electrical studies ( 2yrs ) ,

....then apply for my certificate with Queensland Institute of Sparkies , that'll take 3mths and require certified copies of my birth, passport, marriage, certificates as well as duplicates of my course work at TAFE including all my birthday cards during the course and copies of receipts from the canteen proving I attended.....

Then... maybe then.... I'll be allowed to change my own freeking plugs.

.....But only between the hours of 13.00 and 13.01 on a Tuesday when the Moon is in Virgo

A certain Qld govt department movec its offices this week. We took our phones, radios, compters, phone chargers etc....but we are not allowed to use any pf them till Tuesday afternoon when a nice government man will come and plug them all in for us! 2 days work, 33 people.........
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:50 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Of the 2 types of plug I have used in Oz one had the A and N the other way around to the L and N in a UK plug and the other type has the A in the middle (this was the 90 degree type where the wire comes out the side of the plug at an angle).

I think more attention is needed in Oz.

Regards
Alistair
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its australia, at least 7 other government departments would have a copy
LOL, of course. And i thought i had a cunning plan
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:40 pm
Banned

[Sorry Megalansia I thought you were a spark on a power trip (no pun intended) anyway I have been thinking about this and have a question for those in the know.

When we first arrived in the land of Oz I simply rigged up a few Aus plugs to the end of our british 4 and 6 bank extension leads and plugged all our brit plugs into that. Now we have been here sometime we have got around to changing most of our plugs to Aussie ones. Now, if these things worked before we changed the plug, with the wires rigged as described above then why should it be wrong to wire them in this way?

I think I am right in saying that Brown is live in a british plug so therefore it connects to the live connections within the appliance, would this change downunder?

http://www.technicalregulator.sa.gov...e_pin_plug.gif

http://www.languages.dk/methods/Mate...ing_a_plug.pdf

Someone, prefrably a spark want to clear this up?
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:43 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

[Sorry Megalansia I thought you were a spark on a power trip (no pun intended) anyway I have been thinking about this and have a question for those in the know.

When we first arrived in the land of Oz I simply rigged up a few Aus plugs to the end of our british 4 and 6 bank extension leads and plugged all our brit plugs into that. Now we have been here sometime we have got around to changing most of our plugs to Aussie ones. Now, if these things worked before we changed the plug, with the wires rigged as described above then why should it be wrong to wire them in this way?

I think I am right in saying that Brown is live in a british plug so therefore it connects to the live connections within the appliance, would this change downunder?

http://www.technicalregulator.sa.gov...e_pin_plug.gif

http://www.languages.dk/methods/Mate...ing_a_plug.pdf

Someone, prefrably a spark want to clear this up?
Yes, Brown is Live(Active).
And also you cannot change a plug unless you have a contractors licence. Its a joke. I am not supposed to do `cash` jobs either for friends, or change my own plugs.You can only do this after you get your contractors licence which is another couple of grand and more exams. (but who cares)
Most sparks i have met do ALL the time.
Daz