Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing Plugs to Aussie Sockets Wot no Fuse?

Changing Plugs to Aussie Sockets Wot no Fuse?

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:57 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing Plugs to Aussie Sockets Wot no Fuse?

Excuse the dumb question but thought Id check

Bought some replacement plugs from coles, chopped the end off my uk plugs, rewired them into the aussie plugs ok but... how does the whole fuse thing work... how come aussie plugs dont need fuses but UK Appliances/Plugs do?. Is it because they've got RCD's in the fuse cabinet?

( I did - because I was distracted - put the brown wire on the earth plug and got a nice tingly feeling from my laptop ... nice...) .

EDIT: Live wire over here is marked as Active or A or L or Live- the markings on the plugs are often really obscure/hard to see - but do make sure you look for them. Neutral is marked N on the plug . Its important to get them the right way around !!!

For those reading it thinking of coming over - you can buy figure-8 leads from Coles or K-Mart for about 7$ which are the ones that PS2's/Xbox's/ and many power adapters/printers take. Oh and Tandy are a rip off - go to coles for these types of things (as I found out to my expense).

Last edited by spalen; Apr 23rd 2005 at 12:58 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:04 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Changing Plugs to Aussie Sockets Wot no Fuse?

Originally Posted by spalen

Bought some replacement plugs from coles, chopped the end off my uk plugs, rewired them into the aussie plugs ok but... how does the whole fuse thing work... how come aussie plugs dont need fuses but UK Appliances/Plugs do?. Is it because they've got RCD's in the fuse cabinet?

( I did - because I was distracted - put the brown wire on the earth plug and got a nice tingly feeling from my laptop ... nice...) .

And Im guessing that the brown/blue live/neutral from UK can go either one of the non-earth connectors here because its AC and it switches between them?.

Excuse me being dumb but I dont fancy being responsible for killing someone.

For those reading it thinking of coming over - you can buy figure-8 leads from Coles or K-Mart for about 7$ which are the ones that PS2's/Xbox's/ and many power adapters/printers take. Oh and Tandy are a rip off - go to coles for these types of things (as I found out to my expense).

Im used to doing all this stuff in UK but trying desperately to remember o-level physics about AC current polarity!.
mmmmm.... I know good electrician near you

But yes, they have no fuses, that thingy (Safety Switch) in the main switch box should do the trick, but you may need to check if your place has one !
They should stop you getting those tingly feelings.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:23 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

And Im guessing that the brown/blue live/neutral from UK can go either one of the non-earth connectors here because its AC and it switches between them?.

Excuse me being dumb but I dont fancy being responsible for killing someone.

Im used to doing all this stuff in UK but trying desperately to remember o-level physics about AC current polarity!.
Don't rely on wiring colour coding. Write down existing colour code before detaching wires from existing plug. If chopping of wires, use multi-meter or like to test which colour wire connects to which pin. Must get Earth right. Always test new plug before use - earth is only pin which must not form a circuit with either of the other two pins. Fuses in "fuse box".
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

!.
Well it will work if you get it wrong but the Live wire goes to the Live pin and the Neutral wire goes to the Neutral pin.

The reason is that the switch is in the live side of the circuit and if you connect it incorrectly the switch is in the neutral side and that means even when switched off at the wall their is power in the appliance just looking for an escape route.

With the switch in the live side the appliance is safe when switched off.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:44 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm but the aussie plugs dont have markings for which is live or neutral so I assume they're both the same...

Thanks for the offer ABC - Im good for electricians, feeling pretty wired after my little earth=live escapade, I did get a full whack of mains electricity when I was about 6yrs old I reckon Im immune to it.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:49 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Hmmm but the aussie plugs dont have markings for which is live or neutral so I assume they're both the same...

Thanks for the offer ABC - Im good for electricians, feeling pretty wired after my little earth=live escapade, I did get a full whack of mains electricity when I was about 6yrs old I reckon Im immune to it.
Look again - L, N, E.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:53 am
Thinking of returning

mattyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Megalania
Look again - L, N, E.

Actually, they don't call it live here, it's Active!!!

So i would look again if i was you! A, N, E. The plugs are usually marked but not very well.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:55 am
ah-beng

Thanks - Ive looked again - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing ;-)

Rechecking them all !! now I can see the teeny weeny N for neutral and A for Active...

I'll re-edit my top post so that everyone's clear in case anyone misreads it , thanks !
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mattyd
Actually, they don't call it live here, it's Active!!!

So i would look again if i was you! A, N, E. The plugs are usually marked but not very well.
Some marked Active, some marked Live.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:14 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

So maybe there is some sense in the rules that make it illegal to do this if you are not qualified

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 10:28 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DagBoy
So maybe there is some sense in the rules that make it illegal to do this if you are not qualified

Cheers,

DagBoy
What's wrong with natural selection?

A.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 10:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
What's wrong with natural selection?

A.
Beware of changing your own plugs.....see this thread for more info than you can shake a stick at.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261775
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:14 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Beware of changing your own plugs.....see this thread for more info than you can shake a stick at.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261775
Thanks for that hour of pleasure...question...what if you have no insurance?!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:38 am
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

The best way to get it right ( and an old spark told me this) when you are looking at the plug - the side the wires go in - the Left hand pin takes the bLue wire and the Right hand pin takes the bRown wire.

L = left = bLue.

R = right = bRown.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:08 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

EDIT: Live wire over here is marked as Active or A or L or Live- the markings on the plugs are often really obscure/hard to see - but do make sure you look for them. Neutral is marked N on the plug . Its important to get them the right way around !!!

for gawd sake have u never heard this.......... Red tae black...............black tae red.......................................BLUE TAE F@CK lmfao

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.