Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing our mind.....

Changing our mind.....

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:25 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing our mind.....

Morning/afternoon* all,

Well we had friends down on the weekend, they are the ones who put this idea in our minds in the first place, right down to suggesting that Brisbane is the place to settle.

Anyway they now have decided that Melbourne is the place to be. At the time we (the wife and i) said nah - we are still set on Brissy (i even have a website Brisbane or bust!!) however, i spent a few minutes yesterday (during work time of course) checking out Melbourne and basically it dont look too bad.

So the real reason for this post is can anyone suggest any decent areas to have a look at, need schools and beaches etc, etc

Cheers all

* - Delete as applicable

Last edited by wargod; Aug 23rd 2005 at 7:25 am. Reason: Forgot to say thankyou
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:26 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing our mind.....

LOL - sounds just like us a few months ago! We were all set on going to Adelaide until we were able to go 136, then I kept thinking "I like the idea of WA" until I finally started researching and was totally sold!

Are you able to visit both before you get settled?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:28 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
LOL - sounds just like us a few months ago! We were all set on going to Adelaide until we were able to go 136, then I kept thinking "I like the idea of WA" until I finally started researching and was totally sold!

Are you able to visit both before you get settled?
It's a pain in the arse !!

Ask me a question about Brisbane and i can answer it immeadiately or at least have an answer in a few minutes, gotta start all over again now !

Still it's better than working
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:33 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
Morning/afternoon* all,

Well we had friends down on the weekend, they are the ones who put this idea in our minds in the first place, right down to suggesting that Brisbane is the place to settle.

Anyway they now have decided that Melbourne is the place to be. At the time we (the wife and i) said nah - we are still set on Brissy (i even have a website Brisbane or bust!!) however, i spent a few minutes yesterday (during work time of course) checking out Melbourne and basically it dont look too bad.

So the real reason for this post is can anyone suggest any decent areas to have a look at, need schools and beaches etc, etc

Cheers all

* - Delete as applicable
We were similar. Originally it was Adelaide for us. Got our Visas and had to validate. Had friends in Sydney and then decided to check out Brisbane. Fell in love with the place that we never ended up visiting Adelaide. So Brisbane for us. Hope you find some info. Sorry couldn't help with Melbourne.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

herbaliser is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Changing our mind.....

[QUOTE=wargod]Morning/afternoon* all,

I just came across this site and saw this thread i even signed up just to tell you, mate dont go to Brisbane in a word it's crap.

I have friends up there one owns a bar couple work in IT the only reason there there is they landed good jobs, but they all want to transfer to other cities in Oz as soon as poss. I live two hours south of Brisbane, Ive been up there a few times to see friends and to be honest its just boring.

Melbourne has so much more going for it, culture, things to do all round great city, your kids will thank you for the change of mind, though weather wise you can get four seasons in one day.i dont like cities but if there was one i had to live in it would be Melbourne. hour away get on the great oceon road you have Torquay and further down bells beach great for a surf though the water is cold.
I personaly live in Byron Bay on the east coast and i love it, great vibe, lovely beaches, sunny days and good surf but downside gets busy for a little coastal town.
anyway thats my two cents good luck with it all...
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a pain in the arse !!

Ask me a question about Brisbane and i can answer it immeadiately or at least have an answer in a few minutes, gotta start all over again now !

Still it's better than working
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! this is just tooooooo much!!!!

we thought we were going to adelaide on 137 now we can go 136 and dont know where the hell to go!?!?!?! hubbie likes to idea of both brisbane AND perth!!!!!!

what has put you off brisbane?????
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:01 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

Originally Posted by Rooksie
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! this is just tooooooo much!!!!

we thought we were going to adelaide on 137 now we can go 136 and dont know where the hell to go!?!?!?! hubbie likes to idea of both brisbane AND perth!!!!!!

what has put you off brisbane?????
It's not so much that we have changed our minds more over that we have had another suggestion whispered in our ear and like a buzzing little mosquito we now 'have' to consider it!!

I have been looking on the various real estate websites to see if there is a marked difference with house prices to be honest it seems that Brisbane area (Inc Gold Coast and Sinshine Coast) seem to be cheaper - although not knowing the areas i could be comparing apples with grapefruit, plus i like the idea of having lots of sunshine although the draw back with that is a chuffing hot summer (sits back and waits for the whinging pom comments....)

We also considered Perth but both agreed it was too far away from anything - nice city as it is though.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

It's not so much that we have changed our minds more over that we have had another suggestion whispered in our ear and like a buzzing little mosquito we now 'have' to consider it!!

I have been looking on the various real estate websites to see if there is a marked difference with house prices to be honest it seems that Brisbane area (Inc Gold Coast and Sinshine Coast) seem to be cheaper - although not knowing the areas i could be comparing apples with grapefruit, plus i like the idea of having lots of sunshine although the draw back with that is a chuffing hot summer (sits back and waits for the whinging pom comments....)

We also considered Perth but both agreed it was too far away from anything - nice city as it is though.
i have been thinking long and hard this afternoon (whilst avoiding the hoovering) and it occurred to me that we (either before we had the children or now we have them) have lived in Minehead Somerset and now Torquay Devon which are both holiday resorts so quite why we are shying away from the Gold Coast is beyond me!!!!! also, if i could stand the heat, i think i would opt for cairns but i think the heat might be a killer up there i like the idea of Perth because housing is cheaper but like you say, could be comparing an apple to a grapefruit for all we know!?!?! there are also heaps more jobs for my husband in Brisbane so i think we have to concentrate on that area really. i remember having a conversation with a forum member who said there wasn't much call for outdoor pools in Melbourne and that put me off slightly

anyway Ive said enough to get myself shot down in flames already!!!! over to you!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:19 pm

That's kind of how we felt when we realised we had the option to go where we wanted. Although we were keen on Adelaide and would have been more than happy to go there, suddenly there were all these options.

We decided against QLD mainly due to the humidity, BUT we will definitely be visiting other places once we're sorted as you never know....
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:21 pm

have lived in Minehead Somerset

How long ago did you live in Minehead?

I used to go to boarding school not far from Minehead, at St Audries!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

How long ago did you live in Minehead?

I used to go to boarding school not far from Minehead, at St Audries!

they marry people there now and it costs a chuffin fortune!!!!!

we were about 18/19 at the time mate. so it was a few years ago Jed used to live in minehead and went to minehead school in alcombe - i met him when i was on holiday with my parents when i was 14 .
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:28 pm

they marry people there now and it costs a chuffin fortune!!!!!
I know, we went to St Audries caravan park for a week last September (used to go there when I was a kid) and had a look round the grounds of the old school..... happy memories
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

I know, we went to St Audries caravan park for a week last September (used to go there when I was a kid) and had a look round the grounds of the old school..... happy memories

i went to a Convent in Kidderminster and they have sold off half the land and built bloody houses on it!!!! what a pi*ser!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:38 pm

i went to a Convent in Kidderminster and they have sold off half the land and built bloody houses on it!!!! what a pi*ser!!!

Ah, you're an ex-Convent girl, that explains EVERYTHING!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

That's the Catholics for you. They knocked down my school (which had existed in one form or another for about a 1000 bloody years) and merged it with the girls Catholic school, because it was sat on prime development land. Nowt to show for my secondary school education but a shit-load of identical and nasty Wimpy homes.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking your thread ...... given the choice, and having visited both, I'd go for Melbourne - but it's such a personal thing and you really ought to give each a good reccy before deciding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.