Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Change of School year

Wikiposts

Change of School year

Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:51 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,

I wouldn't worry about it. Just this week a Speech and Language Therapist came to my class (mixed Y3/4) to assess one of my boys. She is from Ivanhoe, Vic and is working for our health service during the week and travelling at weekends. She was totally amazed at what she saw in our school, my class in particular. She felt that our children could do so much more that the ones she was teaching in Oz.
If that is anything to go by, your children will be more advanced than the Australian children. This is taking into account that British children start school a year earlier.
Hope this helps
Sarah
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

Sarah, thanks very much for the info, it kind of confirms my feelings.

Cheers

Paul
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

My daughter will be 5 in January and will start school in Prep, which is what their first year at primary school is called in Victoria (same as Reception in the UK). Alot of parents here decide not to send their kids to school until they are 6, so they stay at Kindegarten for an extra year.

Regards
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 6:20 pm
ABCDiamond

My daughter started school at just over 4 and a half in NSW.
They start in Kindergarten, (full time) then go to year 1.

In QLD they start in PreSchool, but only do half days, then they go to Year 1. This may be changing soon so that they do full time in PreSchool.

Private schools are available at a cost from about $500 per term, $2,000 per year. And these are very popular often with long waiting lists.