Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Change to LAFHA?

Change to LAFHA?

Old May 5th 2006, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Change to LAFHA?

Hi
After much nagging, DH has finally spoken to his work about the LAFHA (as we're here on a 457 visa). They're going to backdate it to 20 Feb which is the day he started working for them.

However, apparently there has been a change (for the worse) that came in on 3 May but DH being DH didn't understand what the payroll guy was telling him and , being DH, didn't think to ask for an idiots guide

So, does anyone on here know of any changes to it?

Thanks in advance

Tilly
Old May 5th 2006, 7:22 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change to LAFHA?

Originally Posted by TillyG
Hi
After much nagging, DH has finally spoken to his work about the LAFHA (as we're here on a 457 visa). They're going to backdate it to 20 Feb which is the day he started working for them.

However, apparently there has been a change (for the worse) that came in on 3 May but DH being DH didn't understand what the payroll guy was telling him and , being DH, didn't think to ask for an idiots guide

Thanks in advance

Tilly
Sorry Tilly can't help you - I'm still in the process of nagging DH to speak his employer about LAFHA. I need to find something to print out for him to take into HR - if anyone can point me in the right direction too I'd appreciate it!

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Old May 5th 2006, 7:27 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks in advance

Tilly
Dont know any speficic details but I seem to recall hearing that there had been changes to the food allowances under LAFHA (I assumed they had increased)
Havent heard anyone say anything negative about any changes.

There's probably something on the ATO website about it, www.ato.gov.au
Steve
Old May 5th 2006, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve99
Dont know any speficic details but I seem to recall hearing that there had been changes to the food allowances under LAFHA (I assumed they had increased)
Havent heard anyone say anything negative about any changes.

There's probably something on the ATO website about it, www.ato.gov.au
Steve
Food allowances?! Didn't know about them. All DH told me he needed to take in was his tenancy agreement. We pay $990 per fortnight but the LAFHA will only work out to be about $800 per fortnight, as we rent a 3 bed when we could manage with a 2-bed.

Going to have a look on the ATO site later, when DD is in bed... just thought I'd ask here before I confuse myself even further lol

Thanks

Tilly
Old May 5th 2006, 7:40 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Food allowances?! Didn't know about them. All DH told me he needed to take in was his tenancy agreement. We pay $990 per fortnight but the LAFHA will only work out to be about $800 per fortnight, as we rent a 3 bed when we could manage with a 2-bed.

Going to have a look on the ATO site later, when DD is in bed... just thought I'd ask here before I confuse myself even further lol

Thanks

Tilly
Im not 100% on whether its the same rule for all but basically we have a lot of contract workers that are eligble to claim LAFHA when not here on permanent visa or are working interstate. We ustilise the services of a company called CXC, it may be worth having a look over their website www.cxc.xom.au as you might be able to pick up some info and I think there might be some links or calculators that might be useful.
You could give them a ring and see what info you can get out of them for free, maybe just pretend your starting out on the job search and had heard about LAFHA and wanted to try and find out what it was all about....
Good luck
Steve
Old May 5th 2006, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve99
Im not 100% on whether its the same rule for all but basically we have a lot of contract workers that are eligble to claim LAFHA when not here on permanent visa or are working interstate. We ustilise the services of a company called CXC, it may be worth having a look over their website www.cxc.xom.au as you might be able to pick up some info and I think there might be some links or calculators that might be useful.
You could give them a ring and see what info you can get out of them for free, maybe just pretend your starting out on the job search and had heard about LAFHA and wanted to try and find out what it was all about....
Good luck
Steve
Cunning I'll give them a look later - thanks a million
Old May 5th 2006, 8:18 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks in advance

Tilly

I've just remembered what the changes were - Alan Collett posted about it a while ago. Something to do with no longer paying Tax on UK assets I think.

HTH

Rach xxxx
Old May 5th 2006, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tygwyn
I've just remembered what the changes were - Alan Collett posted about it a while ago. Something to do with no longer paying Tax on UK assets I think.

HTH

Rach xxxx
Ah, well as of next Friday (hopefully) we won't have any UK assets anymore lol
Old May 5th 2006, 8:57 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly this, though if you already have your 457 visa I believe it won't affect you:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=382

Best regards.
Old May 5th 2006, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Possibly this, though if you already have your 457 visa I believe it won't affect you:

Best regards.
Thanks - just shown DH and he's said "no wonder he didn't make any sense then"

Thanks again
Old May 5th 2006, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Alan Collett

Best regards.
Now that one I didn't know about! Glad to read it though as unfortunately DH is in the apparent 'minority' of temp visa holders below that amount!

Cheer Alan

Rach xxxx