Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Change of Govt, impact for migrants

Change of Govt, impact for migrants

Old Nov 24th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice
Default Change of Govt, impact for migrants

Greetings all.

5% of Australia's population changed their mind and voted in Labor. Existing economic pointers show prospect for inflation.

Rising interest rates here mean more people buying Aussie dollars from overseas, driving up the A$ when compared to other currencies.

For those moving in next 6-12 months, it might pay to hedge your bets and set an agreed exchange rate with a currency trader, so you know how many A$ you will arrive with.

Rising exports of primary goods will also apply same pressure to the $, methinks.

:curse: Labor tend not to respect employer profits, so existing (and I think illfounded) proposals may now proceed for employers sponsoring 457s to also now be asked to pay the total costs of bringing in a migrant vis agent fees, Govt fees, medical etc. Expect some employers to be deterred from hiring a migrant, others may look at lower obligation visas such as RSMS.

It's not changed yet, but the Labor Government will owe some big favours to the union movement for funding >$10m of advertising in the election...

Last edited by Jamie Smith; Nov 24th 2007 at 1:45 pm. Reason: more ideas...
Old Nov 24th 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of Govt, impact for migrants

Aha - a man who has obviously lived, worked, paid his taxes and experienced unionism under an Aussie Labor Government. Me too, which is why I voted for the Libs.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Add to that the slash and burn of government positions if anyone was hoping to get into the APS - which will mean that there will be lots of unemployed public servants out there looking for jobs which may have been filled by migrants in past days.

Perhaps you may all like to rethink because we are about to be even more PC than Bliar and the tax payers among us will be squealing before too long.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

PC is the reason I voted Liberal. I think that although the economy may change a little for the worse it's the PC crap I cannot stand.

Also, Rudd has already said he would do away with detention centres for Asylum seekers and let them roam in the community. Look what happened in the UK with that policy. Not that Oz Labor is the same as UK NU Labour but they are both from the same stable.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:58 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamie Smith
Greetings all.

5% of Australia's population changed their mind and voted in Labor. Existing economic pointers show prospect for inflation.

Rising interest rates here mean more people buying Aussie dollars from overseas, driving up the A$ when compared to other currencies.

For those moving in next 6-12 months, it might pay to hedge your bets and set an agreed exchange rate with a currency trader, so you know how many A$ you will arrive with.

Rising exports of primary goods will also apply same pressure to the $, methinks.

:curse: Labor tend not to respect employer profits, so existing (and I think illfounded) proposals may now proceed for employers sponsoring 457s to also now be asked to pay the total costs of bringing in a migrant vis agent fees, Govt fees, medical etc. Expect some employers to be deterred from hiring a migrant, others may look at lower obligation visas such as RSMS.

It's not changed yet, but the Labor Government will owe some big favours to the union movement for funding >$10m of advertising in the election...
Comrade,

I agree wiz you.

Welkom to the revolution.

Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
Aha - a man who has obviously lived, worked, paid his taxes and experienced unionism under an Aussie Labor Government. Me too, which is why I voted for the Libs.
Me too.
I remember interest rates at 17.5% under a labor goverment, many lost their homes.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

German Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
Add to that the slash and burn of government positions if anyone was hoping to get into the APS - which will mean that there will be lots of unemployed public servants out there looking for jobs which may have been filled by migrants in past days.

Perhaps you may all like to rethink because we are about to be even more PC than Bliar and the tax payers among us will be squealing before too long.
Please tell me where this low tax utopia is here in Australia. Only I've been here just 10 weeks, I earn a damn site less than I did in the UK but as a percentage of my wages I pay more tax.

Answers please....
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:24 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by German Dave
Please tell me where this low tax utopia is here in Australia. Only I've been here just 10 weeks, I earn a damn site less than I did in the UK but as a percentage of my wages I pay more tax.

Answers please....
Interesting. Were you a contactor and avoiding IR36 in the UK?
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smee
Me too.
I remember interest rates at 17.5% under a labor goverment, many lost their homes.
and it wasn't the same in uk under a conservative govt??? it was a worldwide recession! i remember many losing their homes and businesses in uk during this period.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Interesting. Were you a contactor and avoiding IR36 in the UK?
No, I wasn't. I was a contractor working (on the cards) for a company at Heathrow's T5 Project.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:57 am
Account Closed

No, I wasn't. I was a contractor working (on the cards) for a company at Heathrow's T5 Project.
So were you paying tax as a self-employed or as an employee? What sort of pre-tax figures are you talking about roughly?
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rabsody
and it wasn't the same in uk under a conservative govt??? it was a worldwide recession! i remember many losing their homes and businesses in uk during this period.
As I recall it was a damn site worse in the UK at the time. I left the UK because of the desperate economic situation at the time and thats how I ended up living in Germany. People forget just how bad it REALLY was - it was desperate.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

So were you paying tax as a self-employed or as an employee? What sort of pre-tax figures are you talking about roughly?
I just told you I was on the cards. That means PAYE. I really don't wana be posting any numbers up on here but trust me its more (tax) here than there.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:18 am
Account Closed

I just told you I was on the cards. That means PAYE. I really don't wana be posting any numbers up on here but trust me its more (tax) here than there.
Sorry I didn't know that "on the cards" meant PAYE, it was just called PAYE in all the places I worked. I'll piss off now.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Sorry I didn't know that "on the cards" meant PAYE, it was just called PAYE in all the places I worked. I'll piss off now.
No worries. Don't think because of it I'll be heading back to the UK/Germany though (my Wife is German). I love it here.....!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.