Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Change in Citizenship rules to include time on 457

Change in Citizenship rules to include time on 457

Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Roy Edward Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change in Citizenship rules to include time on 457

Does anyone know if there has been any news on the proposed changes that would allow time (up to 12 months?) on a 457 visa to count towards the 2 years for citizenship?

My big regret is delaying my time to apply for permament residency so I could get the living away from home allowance. My advice: don't go for the money, get PR as soon as you can, *whilst* you can. I got it finally, but if I had waited a little longer the increased points requirement would have 'priced me out' at the grand old age of 36.

Thanks,

Roy
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:15 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Change in Citizenship rules to include time on 457

Originally Posted by Roy Edward Taylor
Does anyone know if there has been any news on the proposed changes that would allow time (up to 12 months?) on a 457 visa to count towards the 2 years for citizenship?

My big regret is delaying my time to apply for permament residency so I could get the living away from home allowance. My advice: don't go for the money, get PR as soon as you can, *whilst* you can. I got it finally, but if I had waited a little longer the increased points requirement would have 'priced me out' at the grand old age of 36.

Thanks,

Roy
The legislation has not been timetabled yet.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Roy Edward Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bondipom
The legislation has not been timetabled yet.
What do I monitor to check this. Is there a goverment web site that shows up & coming legislation?
I'm like to rerturn to the Uk for a while, but I want my citizenship first. It would be nice if I don't have to wait 2 years, so this legislation is quite important to me.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 6:28 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Roy Edward Taylor
What do I monitor to check this. Is there a goverment web site that shows up & coming legislation?
I'm like to rerturn to the Uk for a while, but I want my citizenship first. It would be nice if I don't have to wait 2 years, so this legislation is quite important to me.

I asked a very similar question in the immigration forum yesteday see this thread for your answer

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309555

Cheers
Kala
Old Jun 21st 2005, 6:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think as soon as there is any change it'll be trumpeted all over this forum, so you'll hear it as soon as it happens!