Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Certifying documents in Australia by a JP - some questions?!

Certifying documents in Australia by a JP - some questions?!

Old Sep 28th 2007, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

movingtooz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Certifying documents in Australia by a JP - some questions?!

Have tried to do a search on this but no luck so far.

We need to get our passports certified and some other paperwork for both our medicare and mortgage application.

Does anyone know the process in Australia - do we literally just call a Justice of the Peace and arrange for them to do it? Anyone have any idea how much this might cost and the timeframe involved? Finally will it matter if we get them certified in NSW and then register for Medicare and buy a house in QLD (long story!)

Many thanks
Em
Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Certifying documents in Australia by a JP - some questions?!

Originally Posted by movingtooz

We need to get our passports certified and some other paperwork for both our medicare and mortgage application.

Does anyone know the process in Australia - do we literally just call a Justice of the Peace and arrange for them to do it? Anyone have any idea how much this might cost and the timeframe involved? Finally will it matter if we get them certified in NSW and then register for Medicare and buy a house in QLD (long story!)

Many thanks
Em
We get our documents certified at the local pharmacy. I kid you not!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Almost all offices or large workplaces have a JP somewhere. If either of you work, ask around there if there's a JP on the premises. My husband is one, but for work purposes only, so he's not on any advertised lists. He sometimes spends hours certifying documents for people and never charges a cent.

Failing that, as the earlier poster has said, many pharmacists are JPs so check at your local chemist shop!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Almost all offices or large workplaces have a JP somewhere. If either of you work, ask around there if there's a JP on the premises. My husband is one, but for work purposes only, so he's not on any advertised lists. He sometimes spends hours certifying documents for people and never charges a cent.

Failing that, as the earlier poster has said, many pharmacists are JPs so check at your local chemist shop!
Just to add to what Nicky has said, you'll find JPs at shopping centres, around here anyway. There's usually a JP available one day a week at each shopping centre signing documents etc for free. Check with your local shopping centre.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Just to add to what Nicky has said, you'll find JPs at shopping centres, around here anyway. There's usually a JP available one day a week at each shopping centre signing documents etc for free. Check with your local shopping centre.

Mrs JTL
I work with a lady who is a JP in Qld, and she tells me that they are not allowed to charge - certifying docs is a free service
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtooz

Many thanks
Em
It shouldn't cost you anything to get documents certified down-under........ leastways i don't charge anything when I authenticate signatures!

They recently did away with what used to be called Commissioners of Declaration; now there are a whole heap of people qualified to witness signatures such as; nurses, chemists, doctors, the legal fraternity, real estate agents (not salespersons), teachers, and other professionals.

I'm fairly sure this is applicable in all states too?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:15 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bobcat
It shouldn't cost you anything to get documents certified down-under........ leastways i don't charge anything when I authenticate signatures!

They recently did away with what used to be called Commissioners of Declaration; now there are a whole heap of people qualified to witness signatures such as; nurses, chemists, doctors, the legal fraternity, real estate agents (not salespersons), teachers, and other professionals.

I'm fairly sure this is applicable in all states too?
No. Its WA only I once had some Queensland transfer documents returned with declaration witnessed by a miner

Last edited by Del Boy; Sep 28th 2007 at 5:58 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Great thanks for all the advice will post with how we get on when we finally get there (are in Singapore at the moment)

Thanks again!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:55 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

The manager of our local Post Office was kind enough to certify our docs's ...

all 32 of them ...

No charge as well! ...
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we had ours done by post office too- but chose a time when they are not too busy and the employee has to have worked there for 5 years.

Also police stations sometimes do them- at least our local one does.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

All has now become clear as to why the visa application process wants certified copies of everything!

They have no idea that the system in other countries is radically different and we have to pay mega bucks. (I know a Dr who had to have his certified by a Notary and that cost £200!!)

They must imagine we just pop down to our local shopping centre!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I work with a lady who is a JP in Qld, and she tells me that they are not allowed to charge - certifying docs is a free service
Yip, I worked with a DB administrator who told me him and his wife did the JP certification cos they were bored (hmmm, boring marriage maybe ), and they were not allowed to charge for the service.

He did say he now wished he hadn't done it

JTL
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Just thought I'd feed back. We tried several chemists to no avail but in the end found a couple of JPs in different banks and duly did it all without a charge!

Thanks again for advice.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenix
We get our documents certified at the local pharmacy. I kid you not!
ditto
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:49 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the queensland free JP in the public list.. just rock up at the place on the list and get it done.

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/jps/centres.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.