Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"certified copies" of documents

"certified copies" of documents

Old Apr 15th 2002, 9:52 am
Just Joined

GregDa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "certified copies" of documents

I called at the local police station asking about getting documents certified as copies of the originals, but they were unclear as to how they did this, ie. what info they need to include.
Has anyone done this, and if so what did the police do to the documents - did they stamp it?, sign it? Any ideas, examples
Old Apr 15th 2002, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Lisa B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "certified copies" of documents

RE: Certified copies. I found that a bit of a hassle too, I got a few rude people (solicitors) who didn't have a clue what I was asking them for etc...but in the end, I just went down the Yellow Pages calling local solicitors and finally got through to a really helpful guy who signed all my papers - they stamp them and sign them with a little stamp saying certified true copy or something. And that was that. I think it would be easier to go through solicitors rather than police as solicitors (when you get a helpful one) know exactly what you're talking about and know what you'll need.

Remember to keep copies of everything - just to be on the safe side!!

Good luck.
Old Apr 15th 2002, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting mine done today.

Phoned a solicitor's office at random this morning. They quoted a fixed fee of £5 plus £2 per copy. Came to over fifty quid !

When I took the docs in just now and explained the situation they said they'd only charge me 5 quid for the lot. Secretary photocopies the docs and all solicitor has to do is sign them. I pick them up in an hour.
Old Apr 15th 2002, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

iancurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to our local JP (Justice of the Peace) at the District Court this morning and she did it for nothing :-)