Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Centrelink and FTB

Centrelink and FTB

Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:51 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Centrelink and FTB

Hi,

I am Australian permenant resident, wife is on spouse visa (sub class:309) and child is Australian Citizen.We have been overseas for 3 weeks for a short trip.Centrelink website says that unless you are overseas for 13 weeks your payments will not be effected.But today wife received a letter from centrelink stating that since she have got a temporary visa, she is not eligible to get FTB payments while overseas.To my understanding FTB Part "A" is for children (in my case she is Australian Citizen) and FTB Part "B" is for single family earner(if spouse is not working).
Anybody gone through such situation before?
Please suggest and comment?

Thanks,
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Centrelink and FTB

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

I am Australian permenant resident, wife is on spouse visa (sub class:309) and child is Australian Citizen.We have been overseas for 3 weeks for a short trip.Centrelink website says that unless you are overseas for 13 weeks your payments will not be effected.But today wife received a letter from centrelink stating that since she have got a temporary visa, she is not eligible to get FTB payments while overseas.To my understanding FTB Part "A" is for children (in my case she is Australian Citizen) and FTB Part "B" is for single family earner(if spouse is not working).

Thanks,
Sorry no idea but one thing confuses me - why is she on a temp visa? If you are married with children you generally bypass the temp bit and go straight to PR. We put all our centrelink stuff in hubby's name (he is the Aus citizen) so things appear more straightforward.

I would ring them or even go into your nearest office. If we have had queries, they have been really helpful face to face.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:35 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Centrelink and FTB

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Thanks,
A Permanent Resident can get FTB payments, both A & B, for up to 13 weeks whilst overseas on a temporary basis.

Both A & B are for the parent/carer, and not for a child specifically, therefore the payment is based on the status of the claimer.

If you, as PR were the claimer, there should be no problems, however, the computer system has obviously thrown up the fact that the claimer is Temporary.

You need to go in and get it fixed, if necessary by changing the claimer to yourself. If you are nice to them, they MAY be able to back date it, but they tend to only put themselves out for people who are nice to them (don't we all)

Similar things apply in the UK, as we put the UK child benefit in my name, as a British Citizen, rather than my wife, to avoid potential difficulties.