Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Central Coast - Gosford or Newcastle?

Central Coast - Gosford or Newcastle?

Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Jeremybec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Central Coast - Gosford or Newcastle?

Hello,
I'm hoping there may be some people out there living on the Central Coast who can help me. We have been making plans to move to Qld for the last year and just before Xmas we had some bad news regarding my husbands job there. We have had to change our plans and are now looking at NSW. My husband is a police officer (NZ) and is going through the fast track programme to join the police in Australia - Qld have cancelled their programme but NSW are still recruiting.

We were planning on the Sunshine Coast in Qld - we like the beach, and enjoy being out of the city but still able to have a day in the city if we feel like it. We're hoping to find something similar in NSW. We are trying to keep housing prices reasonable and would like a decent amount of cafes/shops/kids activities available. We have two children aged 5 and 2 so a quiet family area would be perfect.

We leave NZ in 2 months and now don't have time to go and visit the Central Coast before we arrive - so we are researching on the internet the best we can. Any advice and opinions on Newcastle and the Gosford/Narara/Terrigal regions would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Gosford or Newcastle?

I like the Central Coast and there are many areas around here to choose from. I live in Umina which some don't like as it seems a bit run down. There are big plans for a complete facelift of the area and it has a lovely beach which doesnt get overally busy in peak season.

Terrigal is a very nice area and lots of people choose this area over a lot of others, house prices are a little higher because of this and it is a very touristy area too, lots of apartments etc and very busy in peak time and not a huge beach. Narara seems to be a nice area, very leafy but away from the beach, it is on my list of possibles for my next move when we downsize to reduce mortgage and house size. I have decided that I need fun rather than a huge house and now my kids are older and I need to have a single storey house.

I suppose it would depend on where you end up being based. Gosford and Woy Woy/Umina/Ettalong/Ourimbah/Point Clare/Lisarow are all on the train line if you need to go to Sydney/Newcastle way. Ourimbah/Gosford/Kariong/Woy Woy are easy access to freeway if you need to drive to Sydney/Newcastle.

I personally would rent for the first 6 months to give yourself time to access the areas and decided which one suits you. Especially if you need to commute.

Jo
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Jeremybec is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jo. We're hoping that my husband will be working from Gosford rather than Sydney, or Newcastle if we decide to go up that way. I've had a look on real estate websites and I like the look of Narara because of the trees. Here in NZ we live in a bush reserve and we're used to a lot of trees and bush and the privacy that brings. I've read that Gosford is a bit boring and the lonely planet says it has a 'redneck' feel to it. Is that your impression?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeremybec
Thanks Jo. We're hoping that my husband will be working from Gosford rather than Sydney, or Newcastle if we decide to go up that way. I've had a look on real estate websites and I like the look of Narara because of the trees. Here in NZ we live in a bush reserve and we're used to a lot of trees and bush and the privacy that brings. I've read that Gosford is a bit boring and the lonely planet says it has a 'redneck' feel to it. Is that your impression?
yep some areas of Gosford are a bit like that, but then I think all areas have this too, I tend not to go on speculation. Some areas I would not have dreamed of living in I would now consider as I have friends living there and you see it more first hand. I cannot really comment on living in Terrigal but friends I have that live there love it. I have several work colleagues who live in the Narara area and they too like it. If you are happy not to live near the beach (but no that far away) then thats a good area especially for Gosford. But again I would recommend to rent first, expensive mistake if you dont like any area you have bought in.

Jo
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:00 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I live in Terrigal and love it. It's handy for Sydney if necessary (although not for daily commuting in my opinion although folk do). Most of the town is quiet but the CBD is always popular with tourists and sydney siders particularly at the weekend. House prices are slightly higher in Terrigal but certainly not the level of Sydney prices.

Personally I would not want to live in Gosford. I am sure one day the much talked about facelift will happen but it appears to be slow getting momentum. With Erina Fair on my doorstep I have little need to venture to Gosford for anything.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:14 am
and jack had a groove

jackgotjacked has a brilliant futurejackgotjacked has a brilliant futurejackgotjacked has a brilliant futurejackgotjacked has a brilliant futurejackgotjacked has a brilliant futurejackgotjacked has a brilliant futurejackgotjacked has a brilliant futurejackgotjacked has a brilliant future

I live on Sydney's North Shore, and I have to say even if Sydney is a bit too far out of your price range, there are very bushy areas with lots of trees and privacy for you. Right now I can look out my window and see the bush, in fact we've even had wallabies approach our house before. A suburb like Berowra, for example, would it make it possible to commute to both Gosford and Sydney CBD while still having an isolated, private feel.

Just something to consider since I'm afraid my knowledge about the central coast is fairly limited.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedude will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

We live on the Central Coast at the moment in Killarney Vale. We have the school opposite with the Oval and the Creche next door so perfect for a family, we have just listed our house for sale as we are moving out onto acerage. Killarney Vale is a nice spot with the lake behind us. Its a 5 minutes walk to Mingara the Leisure Centre and a couple of minutes walk to the shops, half hr walk to Bataue Bay Shopping Centre and the same the Shelley beach you always see children walking along the road down to the beach from here if not jumping on a bus. 5 minutes in the car otherwise and in the summer it gets pretty busy down there.

There is a Police Station at The Entrance and also a large one at Wyong as well and also some others dotted about but Wyong and The Entrance gets to most action so to speak as there is such a lot going on down The Entrance. Gosford has had its day.

I hope that is of some help to you. If you looking for rentals most of the agents are quite helpful around here although there is a lot of people competing for the properties as The Central Coast is a popular area for Sydneysiders to relax and play and commute.

Good luck

Adele
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Ruskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant future

We have been in Newcastle for 2 1/2 years and really like it.

Newcastle its self and the surrounding areas have an abundance of splendid beaches. As a city it has a a lot going for it however it does lack a central focus. Lots of cafes restaurants and stuff for kids. (ours are 4 and 7) and really good local public and private schools. We live in a beautiful outer suburb backing into unspoilt bush land and forest but still only 15-20 minutes from the the town centre. The Hunter Valley and Port Stephens are nearby. Its possible to do a day trip to Sydney (2 hours each way by car, 3 hrs in the train or 30 min by sea plane from Newcastle Harbour)

Housing is considerably cheaper than Sydney with little in the way of traffic congestion and hassel of a bigger city.

If you are able I'd recommend a reconnaissance visit to check out the areas you mention.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
I live in Terrigal and love it. It's handy for Sydney if necessary (although not for daily commuting in my opinion although folk do).

Personally I would not want to live in Gosford. I am sure one day the much talked about facelift will happen but it appears to be slow getting momentum. With Erina Fair on my doorstep I have little need to venture to Gosford for anything.
Gosford seemed really run down 5 years ago - I was quite shocked to be honest. And consider it is the gateway to some very pricy communities.

The commute would be a killer - but Sydney's trains are more comfortable than Melbourne's. How do I know - I've made the trip many a time!

Originally Posted by joho
I like the Central Coast and there are many areas around here to choose from. I live in Umina which some don't like as it seems a bit run down. There are big plans for a complete facelift of the area and it has a lovely beach which doesnt get overally busy in peak season.

Terrigal is a very nice area and lots of people choose this area over a lot of others, house prices are a little higher because of this and it is a very touristy area
It was bloody expensive 5 years ago!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

We lived on the Central Coast. Awesome area - great beaches - wonderful schools - many private schools available too. We lived in MacMasters beach - a very small community. We stayed in Terrigal when we first arrived. We liked Terrigal. Erina Fair is a nice mall. Gosford has some good shops too. We visited a lot of areas in the Central Coast - it's really quite varied. Some places are more bush, others more beach. It's in the middle of National Rainforests. Really some lovely areas. We loved it there.

Good luck with your move. We hope to be coming back in the next 6 months or so.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

i dont think you would be disappointed with the central coast as it a lovely area thats often overlooked.
great beaches at terrigal,avoca, copa, mac masters
good fishing, surfing, rock climbing, shopping and pubs plus a decent a-league football (round ball) team

if you can get work on the central coast i would say its a better option than the sunshine coast
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

simmoman is an unknown quantity at this point

You should look up Newcastle. I have lived there for 3 years and love it. Housing is cheaper than the major cities but wages are pretty good and if you can put up with the odd trip to Sydney or Melbourne to get the latest and greatest trends then its a great place to be. If you like beaches and bush you will be spoilt for choice.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice

Hi we live on the Central Coast but are looking for new areas to move to as find it too quiet here. Does anyone know what are decent suburbs and what areas to avoid in Newcastle?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

We lived in the central coast and liked it but we're interested in New Castle as well. I understand there are unis there and other centers of higher learning. We are interested in neighborhoods and employment opportunities - just where to look. Seek doesn't cover New Castle. What does? What's the local paper called?

Thanks for any help.

Catherine
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

simmoman is an unknown quantity at this point

The local paper is the Newcastle Herald

For houses

http://www.domain.com.au/

For jobs

http://mycareer.com.au/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.