Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Central Coast - Areas to live

Central Coast - Areas to live

Old Dec 8th 2019, 11:30 pm
  #16  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,487
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
My opinion of the Central Coast is that it is a dump.
Which bit are you referring too? I do agree, places like Gosford, Umina, Woy Woy, etc are. But on the flipside, places like Pearl Beach, Avoca, etc are exceptionally nice.

However the travel to Sydney for work would wear you down very quickly. I think the fastest train from Gosford to Central is 1 hour 20. Then there's the travel at either end. Not for me.
Beoz is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2019, 1:08 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 269
rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
I can't really comment on the money part as people equip themselves differently, but my little patch of garden 9 km from the city and 5 mins to the beach, which started life as a patch of barren dirt is now thriving, even in the drought riddled times. Not sure why I didn't do this earlier but on the back of new water restriction laws coming this week I set up an irrigation system relatively cheaply with all the bits from Bunnings. Its either a watering can or drip irrigation system from tomorrow

I was going to go the cheapo lot ordered in from China which you can pick up for about $30 for about 30 metres of the main piping with all the extra smaller pipes. elbows, drippers, etc, but I wasn't sure on the quality, and if I need extra bits, such as piping elbows, I can get back to Bunnings. Pop in a time, set it for 15 minutes a day, job done.

Sydney and the Central Coast doesn't see too many 38 degree days, especially if you are living near the coast, so just don't garden on those odd days. (bit of an exaggeration on your behalf I guess).
Lets be honest, 25 may as well be 35 or 40, you wont want to garden if its above 20 and/or sunny, so about 90% of the year.
rabble_rouser is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2019, 1:22 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 269
rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Which bit are you referring too? I do agree, places like Gosford, Umina, Woy Woy, etc are. But on the flipside, places like Pearl Beach, Avoca, etc are exceptionally nice.

However the travel to Sydney for work would wear you down very quickly. I think the fastest train from Gosford to Central is 1 hour 20. Then there's the travel at either end. Not for me.
With a couple exceptions that arent enough to lift it up, its one thing driving up to those places on a day trip and saying its "ok", it wont be the same to live there.
rabble_rouser is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2019, 5:05 am
  #19  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 20
elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
If you are working in Sydney CBD, pretty much a flat in the Northern Beaches is the only option on your low budget. You can catch the ferry to work.
Are you sure you need a garden? Gardening is not pleasant here, like it is in England.
Maintaining a garden here is brutal and expensive, you will curse yourself every weekend you have to mow the lawn at 38c.
A balcony with some container plants is a better option.

I think the Northern beaches area now is quite expensive. The garden is for the 3 cats - Love them but theyre certainly a responsibility! We are currently in QLD and have a front/back garden and yes, the mowing is a challenge but its so dry here, it hardly grows.
elbow271 is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2019, 5:14 am
  #20  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 20
elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Which bit are you referring too? I do agree, places like Gosford, Umina, Woy Woy, etc are. But on the flipside, places like Pearl Beach, Avoca, etc are exceptionally nice.

However the travel to Sydney for work would wear you down very quickly. I think the fastest train from Gosford to Central is 1 hour 20. Then there's the travel at either end. Not for me.
Unfortunately we are without work at present. So budget is a concern initially. Central Coast does appear to offer a modicum of a lifestyle close to the beach. Being from London, you can appreciate this is a necessity for me. Also being from London, i have lived in some questionable areas, some nice too. Were saving for a mortgage, so whilst renting, we can scope out the area over time. Woy Woy was 1hr 15 into Sydney by train. This is doable; again getting in anywhere in London takes 60-90 mins so im not too concerned about door to door times - altho you're quite right, this may come to the fore over time. Im a contractor so travel times/destinations have always changed before getting old. There is also the possibility that work may even emanate around McQuarrie park or Parramatta so again the Central coast would suit.
elbow271 is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2019, 5:17 am
  #21  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 20
elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
With a couple exceptions that arent enough to lift it up, its one thing driving up to those places on a day trip and saying its "ok", it wont be the same to live there.
Mmmmm, Definitely needs consideration. MOre investigation needed - Thank you for your help
elbow271 is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2019, 8:59 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 269
rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by elbow271 View Post
Mmmmm, Definitely needs consideration. MOre investigation needed - Thank you for your help
That's Australia in a nutshell. The nice places with reasonable commute times to decent paid jobs are enormously expensive. True everywhere but especially true in Australia. There's really no such thing as a "good deal" anymore.
I spent some time living in Port Stephens right on the beach, then moved to Newcastle last year, I did lots of day trips around the Lake as well. If you can get a good job around there its far better (in general) than the Central Coast.
Some people may have considered me very lucky living the "dream" there. Having said that the area and climate wasn't working for me and I opted for voluntary redundancy and cached in my chips and took a job in Adelaide.

I'd even take Brisbane over the Central Coast.
rabble_rouser is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2019, 12:49 am
  #23  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 20
elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
That's Australia in a nutshell. The nice places with reasonable commute times to decent paid jobs are enormously expensive. True everywhere but especially true in Australia. There's really no such thing as a "good deal" anymore.
I spent some time living in Port Stephens right on the beach, then moved to Newcastle last year, I did lots of day trips around the Lake as well. If you can get a good job around there its far better (in general) than the Central Coast.
Some people may have considered me very lucky living the "dream" there. Having said that the area and climate wasn't working for me and I opted for voluntary redundancy and cached in my chips and took a job in Adelaide.

I'd even take Brisbane over the Central Coast.
Well, we're already nr Brisbane, but theres not much in the way of work for me there - maybe another 20 yrs or so; Hence the move to NSW. I have to be realistic, my work is fairly niche so i have to live around where i think it will be, which i Central and north/North west. Perhaps when i retire i can have a look at these other options - Port Stephens looks very nice btw. What didn't work re climate/area?
elbow271 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2019, 1:54 am
  #24  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 269
rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by elbow271 View Post
Well, we're already nr Brisbane, but theres not much in the way of work for me there - maybe another 20 yrs or so; Hence the move to NSW. I have to be realistic, my work is fairly niche so i have to live around where i think it will be, which i Central and north/North west. Perhaps when i retire i can have a look at these other options - Port Stephens looks very nice btw. What didn't work re climate/area?
Its sort of nice, but has huge downsides. Some people love it there.The whole place is deadbeat in a way that cannot be expressed, it must be experienced. The whole beach thing grows quite depressing, which is completely at odds with expectations. This just makes it damn odd because who could possibly think that? The vibe is off, completely off. Its sydney weekender lebs in your face clogging every parking spot, then it returns to bogan in off season. A decent place for a weeks holiday, but not somewhere to live unless you have strong connections there. Climate is also awfully overated there. Its clammy when hot and clammy when cold. It made me feel on edge always.

Last edited by rabble_rouser; Dec 10th 2019 at 2:02 am.
rabble_rouser is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2019, 2:07 am
  #25  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 20
elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
Its sort of nice, but has huge downsides. Some people love it there.The whole place is deadbeat in a way that cannot be expressed, it must be experienced. The whole beach thing grows quite depressing, which is completely at odds with expectations, which just makes it do damn odd because who could possibly think that? A decent place for a weeks holiday, but not somewhere to live unless you have strong connections there. Climate is also awfully overated there. Its clammy when hot and clammy when cold. It made me feel on edge always.
Food for thought, altho i assumed 'clammy' came with the sunny weather in these parts. Its pretty clammy here just above Brisbane so im assuming its the norm for the east coast. Yeah the beach conundrum is just that. Im hoping that after working somewhere built up all week, it will be a nice place to escape, clear the lungs a little (altho probably impossible atm re the fires). We're pretty happy to get out and about too, so wouldn't spend all our time there. right now, i cant think of any other options that are not on by the sea. Bundeena looks ok but a bit pricey and could present travel-time issues as i suspect most of my work will be north of central. We really want to live by the sea, and fairly close to central - thats the requirement.
elbow271 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2019, 2:31 am
  #26  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 63,917
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

I've no idea why people are doing it but please can you stop with the edited fonts. The default works for every single other post on every single other thread over the past 16 years, there's no need to change it. Many thanks.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2019, 2:49 am
  #27  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 20
elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I've no idea why people are doing it but please can you stop with the edited fonts. The default works for every single other post on every single other thread over the past 16 years, there's no need to change it. Many thanks.
I guess there's the function to use it so people like to use those options?
elbow271 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2019, 2:50 am
  #28  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 269
rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by elbow271 View Post
Food for thought, altho i assumed 'clammy' came with the sunny weather in these parts. Its pretty clammy here just above Brisbane so im assuming its the norm for the east coast. Yeah the beach conundrum is just that. Im hoping that after working somewhere built up all week, it will be a nice place to escape, clear the lungs a little (altho probably impossible atm re the fires). We're pretty happy to get out and about too, so wouldn't spend all our time there. right now, i cant think of any other options that are not on by the sea. Bundeena looks ok but a bit pricey and could present travel-time issues as i suspect most of my work will be north of central. We really want to live by the sea, and fairly close to central - thats the requirement.
Yes it really does doesnt it. Thats the east coast.
I think beach plus reasonable commute are more important to you than garden so id look for a small place. You can get a tiny place in northern beaches but at least have a beach, reasonable commute and its not totally deadbeat.

I havent lived south though I have heard it said you could do ok that way if you ride a motorcycle.
rabble_rouser is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2019, 4:07 am
  #29  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 63,917
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by elbow271 View Post
I guess there's the function to use it so people like to use those options?
People very rarely do it because it's distracting and unhelpful. I did ask nicely.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2019, 4:18 am
  #30  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 20
elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
Yes it really does doesnt it. Thats the east coast.
I think beach plus reasonable commute are more important to you than garden so id look for a small place. You can get a tiny place in northern beaches but at least have a beach, reasonable commute and its not totally deadbeat.

I havent lived south though I have heard it said you could do ok that way if you ride a motorcycle.
Well, we do have 3 cats, they would go crazy if couped up. I know, and we flew them over too! Im going to look at norther beaches out of curiosity but i suspect it will be expensive/too small. But until i look, i have no idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
elbow271 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.