Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cellular network selection

Cellular network selection

Old Dec 9th 2012, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

aali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really nice
Default Cellular network selection

Hi guys,
could anyone recommend a good network in melbourne. i wouldnt be using the internet so what would be the cheapest for me ?
someone told me that vodafone is good. you get to have free unlimited sms to any network and free calls to vodafone network.

thanks
Old Dec 9th 2012, 8:44 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cellular network selection

Originally Posted by aali-01
Hi guys,
could anyone recommend a good network in melbourne. i wouldnt be using the internet so what would be the cheapest for me ?
someone told me that vodafone is good. you get to have free unlimited sms to any network and free calls to vodafone network.

thanks
If you don't want to use the internet, and are concerned mostly about use in the city then you could use almost any provider...personally I would be looking at some of the resellers of the main networks (Red Bull (VF), Amaysim (Optus) etc). Vodafone has by far and away the highest number of complaints of any Australian mobile provider...and an ever dwindling customer base.

When my 3 service switched over to the Vodafone network in August I once again became acquainted with 'SOS Only', 'Searching...', calls that go straight to voicemail etc - things I hadn't seen on 3 for years. Recently I filled in an online complaint form about a data outage that lasted nearly 24 years (affected only 3 customers) and just like that they have cut my plan cost down to next to nothing for 6 months...they are desperate to retain customers because they are not providing a good service and they know it (and I live and work in areas where they have supposedly finished their amazing network improvements).
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

aali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really niceaali-01 is just really nice

thanks for the response bro. i have just purchased vodafone and activated 30 cap plan. now i have come to know that i cannot even make international calls or text. is there any option to change the plan ? what would be the most suitable for me if i want to call both internationally and locally.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the response bro. i have just purchased vodafone and activated 30 cap plan. now i have come to know that i cannot even make international calls or text. is there any option to change the plan ? what would be the most suitable for me if i want to call both internationally and locally.
Unless your service has been enabled to do international calls you will find they are blocked. Talk to Vodafone (or vodafail as they are often known here) and tell them what you need.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

thanks
I'm on Vodafone and have not had one problem with them. In fact, I have a great 3G signal everywhere in the Perth metro area.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm on Vodafone and have not had one problem with them. In fact, I have a great 3G signal everywhere in the Perth metro area.
I have a great signal mostly but the simultaneous ability to download data at 0.00 - 0.10 Mbps on many occasions. Signal is not my main issue...congestion is...but VF may be no worse than the others? But their level of customer complaint suggests otherwise. I'm not prepared to re contract with them in the hope that they don't cock up their 4G network too.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I have a great signal mostly but the simultaneous ability to download data at 0.00 - 0.10 Mbps on many occasions. Signal is not my main issue...congestion is...but VF may be no worse than the others? But their level of customer complaint suggests otherwise. I'm not prepared to re contract with them in the hope that they don't cock up their 4G network too.
I usually have no problem with downloading - although I tend to mainly do that on wifi at home or at work (thanks Rio!). I sometimes download my Quiet Flight magazine on 3G and never have a problem.

I was with Telstra who are technically very good but shit to deal with and are very expensive.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 9:00 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

I will say that Vodafone are at least quite honest about the poor data service they are providing...the below is Melbourne CBD:

...that orange area that covers the major part of the city:

3G Limited, access to basic internet is limited during peak usage periods with speeds of less than 0.1Mbps

I dread to think how many students there are in the CBD trying to use Vodafon3 mobile broadband devices. Hopefully they know about the TIO!