Ceiling Fans

Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:39 am
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ceiling Fans

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm whether you find ceiling fans effective and the costs of running them. Find A/C too cold at times so thinking these fans may be a better option and they look nice!

Cheers
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:41 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ceiling Fans

Originally Posted by HEL
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm whether you find ceiling fans effective and the costs of running them. Find A/C too cold at times so thinking these fans may be a better option and they look nice!

Cheers
ceiling fans work for us and they r not expensive to run.....our leckie goes up very little in the summer and we have them on 24/7
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HEL
Hi all,

Cheers
The ceiling fans we have are 50watts, so the running costs are about 20% less than a standard 60 watt light bulb.

They are effective here, and when it gets "really" hot, we use them with the air con on, and it gets even colder

We tend to have them on almost 24 hours too.
Ours would work out at about $1.15 per week, (each), for 24 hour a day running.

Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:40 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The ceiling fans we have are 50watts, so the running costs are about 20% less than a standard 60 watt light bulb.

They are effective here, and when it gets "really" hot, we use them with the air con on, and it gets even colder

We tend to have them on almost 24 hours too.
Ours would work out at about $1.15 per week, (each), for 24 hour a day running.
Ok mister statistic....
Electricity is charged per kilowatt hour, meaning how many thousands of watts do you use per hour
Its easy to calculate how much you use and given the price for a kwh you can easily calculate your bill
If the charge is 10 cents per kwh it simply means that for 10 cents you could run a 100w bulb for 10 hrs, or a 1000w stove burner for an hour.
If you just remember the above you can simply work out what you pay for each electrical item in your home.
New fridges will have a sticker telling you the kilowatt hour (kwh), saving you trouble of looking on the back for the power consumption.

anyway....... useful trivia for those who want to know.......
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to buy five-bladed fans here yet they look so much better than four bladed ones!

Get reversible fans: in winter when you're heating the house you run them on low, reversed, and they stop all that expensively heated air staying up on the ceiling., without creating the downdraught. Makes a hell of a difference!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

I have ceiling fans. I just run them I don't count the cost. That's not meant to sound smug or smart or anything I just haven't checked it. Mine have lamps in but I don't use them as they have two ordinary light bulbs in (expensive)and I don't like central ceiling lights. I've put economy bulbs in table lamps/standard lamps in the rooms. The bedroom fan is a Godsend, don't know how I'd live without it. They have winter settings too and thanks for the tip, I've never used it. I'll try it.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hel
They are really useful, I can't sleep with aircon on, it just gets too cold. The fans are really quiet and take the stuffiness away even when its not so hot.
We've also used ours in the winter to circulate the warm air.
We have one fan which doubles as a light, the others are just fans. The smaller kids rooms look better with just the one fan, the ceiling can start looking cluttered what with the vent, a fan and a light. They tend to get dusty, so get ones which look easy to clean.

Last edited by Larissa; Dec 27th 2005 at 12:02 pm. Reason: oops Hel not Hels, sorry
Old Dec 27th 2005, 6:55 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

This might be a daft question, but what about the stand alone upright fans? Do they use more power than the ceiling ones or is it the same? We use three of them in different rooms.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

In our house the fans don't work on a hot still day as there is no breeze for them to move about. They turn the house from an oven into a fan oven. So it would depend on your house, whether you get a good breeze or not. We take a dip in the paddling pool or hide in the bedroom with the air on when it gets too hot.

HTH
Katie
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:04 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful. The reason you don't see as many fans in houses as you'd expect is due to Fan Death

This is a real worry in Korea, for some reason.

Big.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I have 3 blade stainless ones in the living areas and was recommended tget 4 blade wooden ones for the bedrooms as they are quieter.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Darren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant future

Am i hearing / reading correctly??? How can AC be too cold?? That is like saying my central heating in winter gets too hot????] Please tell me that you have room thermostats?????

Is OZ that far behind the intelligent world??

Hi all,

Cheers[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I think they do a job but would not be without air-con as that is just so refreshing.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
This might be a daft question, but what about the stand alone upright fans? Do they use more power than the ceiling ones or is it the same? We use three of them in different rooms.
I just checked two of mine, and they are 46watt, so, very similar in running costs to the ceiling fans.

We have 4, dotted around the house, and sometimes use them outside, if the bay breeze isn't about

Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
In our house the fans don't work on a hot still day as there is no breeze for them to move about. They turn the house from an oven into a fan oven. So it would depend on your house, whether you get a good breeze or not. We take a dip in the paddling pool or hide in the bedroom with the air on when it gets too hot.

HTH
Katie
???

Isn't the whole point of fans is to move air around to create a breeze? If you already have a breeze, then you don't need a fan.

Fans cannot and do not bring the air temperature down - it's the movement of air against your skin that makes you feel cooler.

I'd turn your fans up higher, if you can't feel any effect from them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.