Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Old May 19th 2004, 3:14 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Originally posted by walaj
So are there as many of the horribe things about in Oz and can you run them over without having to report it?
Yes there are and no you cant

We have 2, neighbours on both sides have 2 and 1 respectively, plus lots of other moggies on our street further up. All are outdoor cats during the daytime, but ALL of us bring our cats in before dark. Havent seen a single cat on our street after dark. As Siren says, its the law and certainly based on our area all owners are very responsible.

To stop them getting into your house, just put up fly screens You'll find fly screens come pretty much as standard on all houses over here so problem solved. For the UK while you are still there, there are lots of proprietry products on the market (and quite cheap too) that you can spray around entrances to stop cats / dogs.

And if you're preggers, there's lots of garden manures/fertilizers etc, that are every bit as dodgy for you and your baby as cat or dog poo. Maybe you need to do a bit more reseach before blaming cats only
Old May 19th 2004, 3:14 pm
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

Cats are fairly common, we have two pure breed Birman's, who mostly stay indoors and there's a few cats in our street.

There is a fine for leaving dog litter in public places. You quite often see people walking dogs with a little plastic bag in their hand. Mind you, I find that the richer suburbs in cities tend to have more dog crap than anywhere else. I guess the fine is just pocket money to them.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:20 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ceri
They are common as hell.. ooh you common moggy you. Cat ownership is just as high as dog ownership ( maybe a just a wee bit less though.. but not by much).

P.s I'd check the laws out if I were you, before listening to cock and bull stories. All animals must be humanely treated.

You can trap a cat in your garden.. cages are provided by RSPCA and other wildlife organisations .. you can't just go running over cats.. or maybe you'd like to join the Au army..

Personally speaking I'd rather shoot humans..as they are so ignorant, wildlife endangerment is due to humans.

cheers

P.s you may want to check out what you catch from dog poo as well.. or do you want me to give you a list.
/rant on

There's enough shooting of humans going on as it is. Many of the ones dying in Iraq had little to nothing to do with feral cats in Australia or the running over thereof.

The RSPCA is a hypocrite organization IMHO. Animals to them are cats, dogs and horses and maybe guinea pigs when it suits them. They turn a blind eye to the legions of pigs and chickens kept in battery farms, but heaven help any soul who gives a dog a good spank Cruel, cruel, they cry!

Sorry Ceri, I was a card-carrying member of Animal Liberation and will become one again when I get back home. There are no half-measures in the care and respect of animals. Whether it is a pig or grandma's Persian pussycat, if it is in the care of a human, they need to be cared for equally.

/gets off soapbox
Old May 19th 2004, 4:49 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ulujain
/rant on

There's enough shooting of humans going on as it is. Many of the ones dying in Iraq had little to nothing to do with feral cats in Australia or the running over thereof.

The RSPCA is a hypocrite organization IMHO. Animals to them are cats, dogs and horses and maybe guinea pigs when it suits them. They turn a blind eye to the legions of pigs and chickens kept in battery farms, but heaven help any soul who gives a dog a good spank Cruel, cruel, they cry!

Sorry Ceri, I was a card-carrying member of Animal Liberation and will become one again when I get back home. There are no half-measures in the care and respect of animals. Whether it is a pig or grandma's Persian pussycat, if it is in the care of a human, they need to be cared for equally.

/gets off soapbox
perhaps you should check out the battery hen laws.. The RSPCA and Green peace.. and Animal liberation groups attacked this quite recently.. ( past two years) . .. farmers were in uproar.. and said they need time to change.

And I'm not on my soap box.. for one who spends a lot of their time donating my time on weekends to conservation matters.. ( fighting for your damn country!)

I disagree with all animal cruelty.( and am also a vegetarian.. I haven't ate meat since I was about 14 yr old!.. except for fish) . I was commenting on I would rather shoot some humans .. long story, who think it's clever to spout off at every opportunity about killing cats ( I'm sad to say it's one of my own country men.)... the cats I own were rescued, through cruelty.. through some sick tw*ts of humans!

so while you have you view of me sitting in the USA, about one who only fights for cats ( don't know where you have that idea from).. I will continue to fight for your damn nature/wildlife ..
I respect all animal life.. even a spider.. you are talking to someone who does not even stamp on a spider, and quite happy to share my home with a few huntsmen and wolves.

Last edited by Ceri; May 19th 2004 at 5:06 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Fish murderer.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:55 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
Fish murderer.
I eat very little fish.. it's prawns I eat most of the time actually, I catch and release 99.9% of my fish .. pity more Australians don't care for their environment... instead of raping the seas.

shishe.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:56 pm

I eat very little fish.. it's prawns I eat most of the time actually, I catch and release 99.9% of my fish .. pity more Australians don't care for their environment... instead of raping the seas.

shishe.
Save the shell fish
Old May 19th 2004, 4:58 pm

Ceri European seas are already well and truly raped. So much inaction by the EU governments and so much turning a blind eye by some governments. Oz still has a chance but time will tell.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:59 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Save the shell fish
shoot the muppet.. can't can I? it's animal
Old May 19th 2004, 5:00 pm

shoot the muppet.. can't can I? it's animal
I prefer dragon slaying.
Old May 19th 2004, 5:03 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri European seas are already well and truly raped. So much inaction by the EU governments and so much turning a blind eye by some governments. Oz still has a chance but time will tell.
But they are not listening.. you'd think they'd learn from past mistakes of Europe wouldn't you?

Ahh too much money in Tuna and swordfish .. for the Jap market.. too much money in trawling .. and flooding the market with cheap mullet ,when the mullet run starts..

You'd think they learn

Ps dragon slaying.. you don't stand a chance.. you're too small and wooly.. Mr Animal... I'll get my cats to rip your stuffing out
Old May 19th 2004, 5:05 pm

But they are not listening.. you'd think they'd learn from past mistakes of Europe wouldn't you?

Ahh too much money in Tuna and swordfish .. for the Jap market.. too much money in trawling .. and flooding the market with cheap mullet ,when the mullet run starts..

You'd think they learn

Ps dragon slaying.. you don't stand a chance.. you're too small and wooly.. Mr Animal... I'll get my cats to rip your stuffing out
Bloody hell ya been genetically modifying them?
Old May 19th 2004, 5:08 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Bloody hell ya been genetically modifying them?
no they just hate soft toys.. I have one cat who would rip your innards out .. fling you around a few times then sleep on you
Old May 19th 2004, 5:43 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

one cat who would rip your innards out .. fling you around a few times then sleep on you
I think BP's probably had his time of wild nights with wild cats??!!He's not a bachelor anymore.
Old May 19th 2004, 5:56 pm

no they just hate soft toys.. I have one cat who would rip your innards out .. fling you around a few times then sleep on you
Errr lovely creatures you have there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.