Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cathy Pacific or China Eastern

Cathy Pacific or China Eastern

Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cathy Pacific or China Eastern

Could anybody please offer any andvise on either of these companies. I have my sister flying over in the summer on her own with 4 kids under 11 so They will need entertainment
Can't believe how cheap the flights have become????
Seems like the UK are getting a good deal on return flights at the moment.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:51 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cathy Pacific or China Eastern

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Could anybody please offer any andvise on either of these companies. I have my sister flying over in the summer on her own with 4 kids under 11 so They will need entertainment
I have flown Cathay Internationally and China Eastern doemestically in China. Cathay was quite good and had entertainment consoles in economy class in all chairs. However, like most airlines, there is no guarantee that all planes have this if they have a mixture of modern and old planes. I don't know if they do.
Food on both was more Asian style
Suggest you check the web sites of both for details.

Andrew
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

We found cathay pacific very good, flight was 10 out of 10. The kids 6, 10 and 11 where entertained with movies , playstation, they where really great, and i worried over nothing.
Dont forget to order kids meals, we did not and they did not like the food, luckily we took lots of snacks.
One problem was they lost my suitcase, we never got it and they gave me 650 dollars compensation, bit of an insult, luckily i had post office ins.Denise
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:43 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Data taken from www.airsafe.com - Don't know how up to date the information is but I know which one I would fly with!!

Fatal Events Since 1970 for China Airlines

The following events are those involving at least one passenger death where the aircraft flight had a direct or indirect role. Excluded would be events where the only passengers killed were stowaways, hijackers, or saboteurs.

12 August 1970; China Airlines YS11; Taipei, Taiwan: The aircraft was on approach under conditions of heavy rain and low clouds when it struck a low ridge about 660 feet (200 meters) about one half mile (800 meters) from the runway. Two of the five crew members and 12 of the 26 passengers were killed.

21 November 1971; China Airlines Caravelle; near Penghu Islands, Formosa Strait between Taiwan and the PRC: The aircraft was believed to have been destroyed by an inflight explosion caused by a bomb. All 17 passengers and eight crew members were killed.

27 February 1980; China Airlines 707-300; Manila, Philippines: The crew executed a steep and unstabilized approach, touching down hard short of the runway and bouncing, eventually stopping on the runway after having the two outboard engines and parts of wing departing the aircraft. Two of the 122 passengers were killed.

16 August 1982; China Airlines 747; near Hong Kong: The aircraft encountered severe inflight turbulence. Two of the 292 passengers were killed.

16 February 1986; China Airlines 737-200; Pescadores Islands, Taiwan: The aircraft touched down on the runway but crashed during an attempted go around . All six passengers and seven crew members were killed.

26 October 1989; China Airlines 737-200; near Hualien, Taiwan: The crew was using an incorrect departure procedure and hit cloud shrouded high ground at 7000 feet (2130 meters). All seven crew members and 49 passengers were killed.

26 April 1994; China Airlines A300-600; Nagoya, Japan: Crew errors led to the aircraft stalling and crashing during approach. All 15 crew and 249 of the 264 passengers were killed.

16 February 1998; China Airlines A300-600; near Taipei, Taiwan: The aircraft crashed into a residential area short of the runway during its second landing attempt. The scheduled flight had been inbound from the island of Bali in Indonesia. The event occurred under conditions of darkness with rain and reduced visibility due to fog. All 15 crew and 182 passengers were killed. At least seven persons on the ground were also killed.

22 August 1999; China Airlines MD11; Hong Kong, China: The aircraft was landing in Hong Kong at night and during a storm after a flight from Bangkok. The aircraft struck the runway and came to rest upside down and on fire. All 15 crew members survived, but three of the 300 passengers were killed.

25 May 2002; China Airlines 747-200; near the Penghu Islands, Taiwan: The aircraft experienced an in-flight breakup and crashed into the sea about 20 minutes into a flight from Taipei to Hong Kong while the aircraft was just above 30,000 feet.. The impact area was in the Taiwan Straits near the Penghu Islands about 75 km (47 mi) from the coast of Taiwan. Apparently, there was no distress signal, emergency message, or other indication of any problem sent out prior to the event. Weather and flight conditions were normal, and no distress signal or other communication was received prior to the crash. The 19 crew members and 206 passengers were all killed.

The accident aircraft was the last 747-200 in passenger service with China Airlines and was to be sold to another carrier next month. According to Boeing, the aircraft was delivered to China Airlines in July 1979 and had accumulated approximately 21,180 landings and 64,394 flight hours. This nearly 22-year old aircraft was newer than similar models in the fleets of U.S. airlines. According to the FAA, the average age of Boeing 747-200 and 747-300 models in U.S. airline fleets is 24 years.

This was the 26th fatal event involving the Boeing 747. The next most recent 747 event was an October 2000 Singapore Airlines accident in Taipei that killed 79 passengers and four crew members. There have been several fatal events in recent years involving in-flight breakups, including the 1996 event involving TWA Flight 800 and last November's fatal event involving an American Airlines Airbus A300 over New York City.

The investigation is in the early stages and no cause for this event has been either identified or completely ruled out. Previous in-flight breakups involving jet airliners have been due to varied causes, including a fuel tank explosion, severe weather or other atmospheric phenomena, bombs, missiles, and midair collisions. The November 2001 in-flight breakup event involving the A300 over New York City is still under investigation, but the breakup was apparently not due to any of these reasons.

Fatal Events Since 1970 for Cathay Pacific Airways

The following events are those involving at least one passenger death where the aircraft flight had a direct or indirect role. Excluded would be events where the only passengers killed were stowaways, hijackers, or saboteurs.

15 June 1972; Cathay Pacific Convair 880; near Pleiku, South Vietnam: The aircraft was on a flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong when the aircraft crashed after a bomb detonated on board. The bombing was apparently done as part of an attempted passenger insurance fraud. All 71 passengers and 10 crew members were killed.

http://airsafe.com/events/airlines/cathay.htm -- Revised: 5 February 2000
Copyright © 1997-2003 AirSafe.com, LLC All Rights Reserved
[/FONT]
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Data taken from www.airsafe.com - Don't know how up to date the information is but I know which one I would fly with!!

Fatal Events Since 1970 for China Airlines

12 August 1970; China Airlines YS11; Taipei, Taiwan: The aircraft was on approach under conditions of heavy rain and low clouds when it struck a low ridge about 660 feet (200 meters) about one half mile (800 meters) from the runway. Two of the five crew members and 12 of the 26 passengers were killed.

21 November 1971; China Airlines Caravelle; near Penghu Islands, Formosa Strait between Taiwan and the PRC: The aircraft was believed to have been destroyed by an inflight explosion caused by a bomb. All 17 passengers and eight crew members were killed.

27 February 1980; China Airlines 707-300; Manila, Philippines: The crew executed a steep and unstabilized approach, touching down hard short of the runway and bouncing, eventually stopping on the runway after having the two outboard engines and parts of wing departing the aircraft. Two of the 122 passengers were killed.

16 August 1982; China Airlines 747; near Hong Kong: The aircraft encountered severe inflight turbulence. Two of the 292 passengers were killed.

16 February 1986; China Airlines 737-200; Pescadores Islands, Taiwan: The aircraft touched down on the runway but crashed during an attempted go around . All six passengers and seven crew members were killed.

26 October 1989; China Airlines 737-200; near Hualien, Taiwan: The crew was using an incorrect departure procedure and hit cloud shrouded high ground at 7000 feet (2130 meters). All seven crew members and 49 passengers were killed.

26 April 1994; China Airlines A300-600; Nagoya, Japan: Crew errors led to the aircraft stalling and crashing during approach. All 15 crew and 249 of the 264 passengers were killed.

16 February 1998; China Airlines A300-600; near Taipei, Taiwan: The aircraft crashed into a residential area short of the runway during its second landing attempt. The scheduled flight had been inbound from the island of Bali in Indonesia. The event occurred under conditions of darkness with rain and reduced visibility due to fog. All 15 crew and 182 passengers were killed. At least seven persons on the ground were also killed.

22 August 1999; China Airlines MD11; Hong Kong, China: The aircraft was landing in Hong Kong at night and during a storm after a flight from Bangkok. The aircraft struck the runway and came to rest upside down and on fire. All 15 crew members survived, but three of the 300 passengers were killed.

25 May 2002; China Airlines 747-200; near the Penghu Islands, Taiwan: The aircraft experienced an in-flight breakup and crashed into the sea about 20 minutes into a flight from Taipei to Hong Kong while the aircraft was just above 30,000 feet.. The impact area was in the Taiwan Straits near the Penghu Islands about 75 km (47 mi) from the coast of Taiwan. Apparently, there was no distress signal, emergency message, or other indication of any problem sent out prior to the event. Weather and flight conditions were normal, and no distress signal or other communication was received prior to the crash. The 19 crew members and 206 passengers were all killed.

The accident aircraft was the last 747-200 in passenger service with China Airlines and was to be sold to another carrier next month. According to Boeing, the aircraft was delivered to China Airlines in July 1979 and had accumulated approximately 21,180 landings and 64,394 flight hours. This nearly 22-year old aircraft was newer than similar models in the fleets of U.S. airlines. According to the FAA, the average age of Boeing 747-200 and 747-300 models in U.S. airline fleets is 24 years.

This was the 26th fatal event involving the Boeing 747. The next most recent 747 event was an October 2000 Singapore Airlines accident in Taipei that killed 79 passengers and four crew members. There have been several fatal events in recent years involving in-flight breakups, including the 1996 event involving TWA Flight 800 and last November's fatal event involving an American Airlines Airbus A300 over New York City.

The investigation is in the early stages and no cause for this event has been either identified or completely ruled out. Previous in-flight breakups involving jet airliners have been due to varied causes, including a fuel tank explosion, severe weather or other atmospheric phenomena, bombs, missiles, and midair collisions. The November 2001 in-flight breakup event involving the A300 over New York City is still under investigation, but the breakup was apparently not due to any of these reasons.

15 June 1972; Cathay Pacific Convair 880; near Pleiku, South Vietnam: The aircraft was on a flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong when the aircraft crashed after a bomb detonated on board. The bombing was apparently done as part of an attempted passenger insurance fraud. All 71 passengers and 10 crew members were killed.

http://airsafe.com/events/airlines/cathay.htm -- Revised: 5 February 2000
Copyright © 1997-2003 AirSafe.com, LLC All Rights Reserved
[/FONT]

Aren't China Airlines and China Eastern two completely different airlines?

I've heard they're both shit though.

I'd take Cathay anyday.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:52 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

If prices are similar, definitely go for Cathay Pacific. Cathay's stopover is in Hong Kong and the airport's great. Where's the stopover for China Eastern? Shanghai/Beijing? With 4 young kids, I think your sister will find things a lot easier doing the transit in HK rather than Shanghai or Beijing.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

P.S. Darn... Forgot to log hubby off before I post this...
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:55 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa

[/FONT]
Interesting stuff but China Airlines and China Eastern are two entirely different Companies.

Andrew
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:05 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Cathy Pacific or China Eastern

Hmmm - seems kind of trivial to raise this after all that info on safety but we have just returned from flying via HK with Cathay Pacific to Oz - and the 4 flights varied between the best and worst I've ever had....

First leg, Heathrow-HK, was absolutely appauling.... the plane was very old, so had limited gizmo's for the children, and there was obviously a staffing problem because the toilets were filthy and smelly before we left and stayed that way, and there were 4 stewardess'/stewards for the whole of economy... it took 3 hours to get a drink and another 40 minutes to get something to eat - and it was our bad luck to be the last served, so no choice and soggy congealed ick it was too... and they were obviously keen for us to sleep most of the way because I had to ask them to turn the temperature down 3 times - we were sweltering!

Similarly, the leg from Sydney to HK was horrid - again it was an old plane, 3 of our 5 seats wouldn't recline, 2 earphone sockets for the videos didn't work and the leg room was so bad my husband had to stand most of the way!

On the upside, the flight from Hong Kong to Brisbane was in a new clean all-singing-all-dancing plane with lots of cheery friendly staff... a real pleasure!

It's clearly a complete lottery - I have just come to the conclusion that there is no pleasant way to fly all that way with 3 children, and plan to do little hops next time!!! Alternatively, just grit your teeth, go with the airline that suits your pocket and plans..... there have been loads of people on here who have had great flights with Cathay, so maybe they just saw us coming
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

sara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the rough

i woul look at singapore airlines .. I assume that the 2 u have mentioned are the bast value at the moment .. but just have a look at singapore see what the difference is as they are the best I have ever flown on

Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Best flight I've had was with Cathay, at present I'm a great fan (going to the UK with them in Oct too, lets hope it lives up to expectations!)
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/cathay.htm

Wouldn't want to risk it with China Eastern, no doubt cheaper, but you get what you pay for.
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/c_eastrn.htm
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Interesting stuff but China Airlines and China Eastern are two entirely different Companies.

Andrew
and China Airlines is Taiwan based, whereas China Eastern is mainland China based (or Shanghai to be precise).

I think Vanessa might have been thinking China Eastern is related to Air China (which is Beijing based). Even then, China Eastern is a completely separate from Air China.

China Airlines has had a terrible safety record as many of their older pilots were once military pilots. However in the past few years the management has made lots of improvement to the entire company and the airline is a bit better now. Having said that, I still wouldn't use them, unless I have absolutely no choice.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:46 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

If it is really the entertainment system you are after, try Virgin Atlantic via Hong Kong. Loads of films, TV and games and all fully interactive and a kids pack with colouring book and other stuff. The flight goes to Sydney but they operate a codeshare with Virgin Blue so if you book through to Mel, Bris or anywhere else your baggage is automatically transferred over to the Virgin Blue flight so you don't have to collect in Sydney.
Definetly give China Southern or China Eastern a miss.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

DSC_AU will become famous soon enoughDSC_AU will become famous soon enough

Ill go with Cathy Pacific, they served good asian food and good service too!!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:02 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Are Cathay Pacific the only airline to stopover in Hong Kong?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Are Cathay Pacific the only airline to stopover in Hong Kong?
Virgin do as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.