British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Catholic schools in Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/catholic-schools-brisbane-686214/)

Lilia Sep 20th 2010 5:40 pm

Catholic schools in Brisbane

Hi there,

I'm a Lancashire lass, a long way from home, currently living on the far South Coast of NSW. My husband and I are moving to Brisbane in the next 8 weeks and we have a daughter who is 5 and a son who is 3. We would like to have them attend Catholic schools and are hoping someone can help by providing information on these. Our daughter will be enrolling for next year. Thanks.

Lilia

Kim67 Sep 20th 2010 6:16 pm

Re: Catholic schools in Brisbane

Heaps of Catholic schools in Brisbane, some good, some not so good. Take a look at this website.

http://www.bne.catholic.edu.au/asp/index.asp

Rudi Sep 20th 2010 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lilia (Post 8862310)
Hi there,

I'm a Lancashire lass, a long way from home, currently living on the far South Coast of NSW. My husband and I are moving to Brisbane in the next 8 weeks and we have a daughter who is 5 and a son who is 3. We would like to have them attend Catholic schools and are hoping someone can help by providing information on these. Our daughter will be enrolling for next year. Thanks.

Lilia

Where abouts in Brisbane are you hoping to be? There are LOADS of Catholic schools in all areas, but it would be helpful to know where you are headed before offering some advice.

Love

Rudi
x

Steve2009 Sep 21st 2010 12:00 am

As mentioned above some of the Catholic schools don't have a great reputation. I used to live beside one and it didn't seem great for the fees demanded.

ABCDiamond Sep 21st 2010 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Lilia (Post 8862310)
Hi there,

Lilia

2009 Basic Recommended Catholic School Fees

Preschool & Primary
  • $800 for one child
  • $1,124 per family of two children
  • $1,372 per family of 3 or more students

Secondary School :
  • $1,688 for one child
  • $2,816 per family of 2 children
  • $ 132 per extra child.
Building Fund contributions are an extra $404 per family for Primary or $616 per family for secondary.

I like tea Sep 21st 2010 8:10 am

I have had no personal experience of Catholic Primary schools in Brisbane but I know from a work colleague (teacher) that St Catherine's Primary school at Wishart is a good school ( her children attend this school). Also Mount St Carmel at Coorparoo has had excellent results on the NAPLAN tests.

Kim67 Sep 21st 2010 11:27 am

Originally Posted by I like tea (Post 8864035)
I have had no personal experience of Catholic Primary schools in Brisbane but I know from a work colleague (teacher) that St Catherine's Primary school at Wishart is a good school ( her children attend this school). Also Mount St Carmel at Coorparoo has had excellent results on the NAPLAN tests.

My kids went to St Thomas' Camp Hill, we lived in Coorparoo but I couldn't bear to put them in the Baby poo Brown and yellow uniforms of Mt Carmel....and St Thomas has a good instrumental program and very close to the ballet studio.

Lilia Sep 21st 2010 12:27 pm

Hi Guy's

Thank you so much for the replies, We have NO idea were we will be living, It's really going to be based on Schooling for the Children.

My husband will be working in the city and is happy to commute.

Many thanks,

Lilia

fish.01 Sep 21st 2010 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lilia (Post 8864725)
Hi Guy's

Thank you so much for the replies, We have NO idea were we will be living, It's really going to be based on Schooling for the Children.

My husband will be working in the city and is happy to commute.

Many thanks,

Lilia

You will find good catholic primary schools across most areas in brisbane so it doesn't help narrow down the area much. A general rule would be the closer to the city the higher the socio-economic profile - which often leads to better local state and private schools. On average though...many exceptions.

Nickolov Sep 22nd 2010 3:34 am

Hi Guys newby here not in Australia but on this site
Both my kids went to Catholic schools and both schools have been excellent
The fees are a bit hard to get used to but you manage