Cat Lovers

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

ARGY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cat Lovers

We are moving to The Sunshine coast around May/June time and at this present time have decided not to take our two cats BUT this is breaking my wifes heart so we would like to know if anyone has taken their cats out there and if so how have they adjusted, and the chances of them playing with something that they shouldn't have.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Cat Lovers

Originally Posted by ARGY
and the chances of them playing with something that they shouldn't have.
Cats will be cats. I've just shipped my two from Sydney to Seattle and they get into more trouble in Seattle than Sydney.

They now like the ducted heating vents. They have managed to figure out how to take the covers off, and spend many hours running around the ducting. At least we don't have to pay for the duct to be cleaned. They also climb up the inside of the flue (sp). Again, no need for that to be professionally cleaned.

Getting back to your issue, I would take them. Assuming they are in good health, they are not to old and you have the $$$.

Being bitten by a snake/other in Aus is like being run over by a car in UK. If its going to happen it will.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:22 am
Now in Perth and lovin it

Pookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nice
Default Re: Cat Lovers

We are moving to The Sunshine coast around May/June time and at this present time have decided not to take our two cats BUT this is breaking my wifes heart so we would like to know if anyone has taken their cats out there and if so how have they adjusted, and the chances of them playing with something that they shouldn't have.
We took our 2 cats to Perth. Haven't let em out, lots of people don't like them here. Or thats how it seems. We're having a cat run built so they can play in the garden, the trouble is all the great birds etc here and cats love to hunt. They kill mostly at night 70%, and as it's so hot during the day they seem to sleep EVEN more than in the uk and get EVEN more active at night.
As for the quarantine/flight etc, they survived it absolutely fine, a little thinner but not much, coats still had a good shine to 'em.
So there you go, if you love them bring them, you'll feel bad for years if you just give them away.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

We brought our two cats over to Melbourne first of all. We made sure they were restricted to the garden (fences too high for them to jump). We moved up to Brisbane a year later and they have the run of the house and garden during the day. We keep them both in at night. I suppose it depends on your cats really. We know that ours do not roam so it's no problem. I do know that there are a couple of cats on the road that we live on that do go into their neighbours gardens and I can tell you that the neighbours are not impressed. People over the road have had complaints to the council about their cats..... It is your responsibility to ensure that your cats do not wander onto other peoples property and also that they do not attack wildlife. As far as adjusting to the weather, ours are just fine. In fact I would say that they prefer the hot weather.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
We are in a similar position, having decided not to take our two cats initially we are now having second thoughts... The three main issues that concern us are
The cats both hate being transported, they hate the car journey to the kennels or Vet (15 minutes max) and yowl and sometimes pant on the journey, the thought of 30 hours travelling and the stress they will have to endure is the main factor against. Both Cats are in great health but are 9 years old and one is a little overweight despite being on a strict diet. They are both outdoor cats so we are also a bit wary of the impact they might have on Aussie wildlife. I am taking them to the vets on Wednesday to ahve them assessed but i have a feeling that these doubts will increase and we will probably end up leaving them behind...Anyone else had cats that hated travelling? Do the transporters subdue the cats, the vet mentioned that this is not very effective for long journeys

Cheers
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Chrispy,

Don't stress about them - they'll be fine. Ours moan and yowl like mad on vet trips and off to the kennels, but that's probably as they associate the box and trip with those two unpleasant times. They don't moan when you're out of view though as they're only expressing their disgust directly at you. They'll be fine on the main journey.

Graham
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:27 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
We brought our two cats over to Melbourne first of all. We made sure they were restricted to the garden (fences too high for them to jump). We moved up to Brisbane a year later and they have the run of the house and garden during the day. We keep them both in at night. I suppose it depends on your cats really. We know that ours do not roam so it's no problem. I do know that there are a couple of cats on the road that we live on that do go into their neighbours gardens and I can tell you that the neighbours are not impressed. People over the road have had complaints to the council about their cats..... It is your responsibility to ensure that your cats do not wander onto other peoples property and also that they do not attack wildlife. As far as adjusting to the weather, ours are just fine. In fact I would say that they prefer the hot weather.
Seriously ??? Can you get into trouble for your cats going into other people's gardens???? OMG Other than keeping them in how are you supposed to stop them doing that?
Wow we have been set on taking our cat Missy with us as she's such a loveable character, excellent with the kids however here she does wander and she also is quite insistant on going out at night even when it's freezing outside, And if she gets told off for any reason she brings back a pressie of some animals guts as a peace offering.
I'd be quite happy to keep her in but not sure how happy she would be about it???
Also we'd be renting initiallydoes anyne know about how they are with ppl who have indoor cats?
I'm torn now cause I don't want her to be miserable
Would very happily have a run built in the garden but we'll be renting for at least a year to make sure we're settled and happy.

She's like the best company ever, when hubby's away she comes and sits next to me on the sofa, licks my hand, snuzzles me and rubs her head on me, she follows me round the house and chats to me

Don't know what to do now
Maybe I could see if dad would have her for me until a) we buy a house or b) we come home???

Thought of leaving her really upsets me

Jen
Old Feb 5th 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

ARGY is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Cat Lovers

Well we came to the conclusion not to take them in the end and took them to a rescue home thursday, and already they have a new home, it was the hardest thing i have ever had to do and came close to getting them back and not going to Oz at all! but our vet reccomended not to take them as they had white noses and ears and can burn apparently so you have to put sun tan stuff on and i can really see them allowing me to do that! They are also used to roaming gardens etc and to keep them in i knew they would hate it,As for renting houses with them we rang an agent and they said usually renting with cats are fine but who knows until you get there!
You'll come the right decision for you,

thanks for all your replies it was great to hear all your views
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Muzzwell is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say b*llocks to the neighbours,

In my book anyone that doesn't like cats is strange... However I am aware of the impact they can have on wildlife. If you have a proficient killer then keep it locked up (which isn't fair). Also the old saying curiosity killed the ''. If you are city or suburban based then maybe ok. If you have land or woods nearby that is a bit wild then don't do it. (COASTAL AREAS SHOULD BE FINE).. Cats like sounds... it really gets them going. (Spiders are less of a problem unless you know you have an insect freak) One of my cats (a bit of a 'c' class hunter) gets real excited when a house spider crawls accross the living room at 11PM. Yep kitty popcorn. Our other Rat catching serial killer goes pwauff, You call that game. There are plenty of animals capable of feeding on your cat. Birds etc.. Snakes should be your biggest concern.. PYTHONS, BROWN SNAKES, VIPERS. If you have kids then you will need to become aware of all of this anyway. Get to know the habbitat. Get to know the emergency protocals. Chances are if you or your kid is bitten then you have a chance. A cat is dead. If they are going to get amoungst leaf litter in rough un-kept places then they will get in trouble. A lot of common snakes in AUS are harmless or semi- dangerous. So on the first aquaintance your cat my prove to be the victor.. If they get a taste for snake hunting they won't live long............. Mine are staying here..
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Well, yes, you can ignore your neighbours but you can't ignore the council.....

http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/Corp/R...+animals/Cats/

Not only are the council allowed to impound cats, but so are local residents if they stray onto their property (I refer to Redlands council in QLD only - but belive others are same/similar).

There are some councils that actually enforce cat's being 'contained' (either indoors or in a run) at nighttime.

We rented in Melbourne with two cats and a dog. Wasn't easy finding a place, I think mainly because of the dog - plus it wasn't that nice but the garden was easy to secure.

Both our cats are white and there is no way that I would have allow that to persuade me not to bring them with us - oh and they are both old (15 and 12 when they travelled).
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we came to the conclusion not to take them in the end and took them to a rescue home thursday, and already they have a new home, it was the hardest thing i have ever had to do and came close to getting them back and not going to Oz at all! but our vet reccomended not to take them as they had white noses and ears and can burn apparently so you have to put sun tan stuff on and i can really see them allowing me to do that! They are also used to roaming gardens etc and to keep them in i knew they would hate it,As for renting houses with them we rang an agent and they said usually renting with cats are fine but who knows until you get there!
You'll come the right decision for you,

thanks for all your replies it was great to hear all your views
you wont like what i've got to say but i feel so sorry for the number of animals that get left behind for whatever reason and someone has to speak up.

what's wrong with them being indoor cats, they'd be happier with you the family they loved....what a shame, sure they've not been put to sleep or gone for research.....let's hope the new owners decide to consider them in their future plans

Last edited by TruBrit; Feb 5th 2007 at 8:35 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TruBrit
you wont like what i've got to say but i feel so sorry for the number of animals that get left behind for whatever reason and someone has to speak up.

what's wrong with them being indoor cats, they'd be happier with you the family they loved....what a shame, sure they've not been put to sleep or gone for research.....let's hope the new owners decide to consider them in their future plans
good grief!!!!!
Talk about alot of palava. I love my moggies to bits, and they are one of the main reasons we have been debating the move, ie should wwe take them or not. After reading this thread I can understand why we didn't see many cats when we were in Adelaide last year.
Does anyone know the rules in Adelaide - Can people really impound your cat for going in their garden?? My big cat(15) barely goes out of the door but the little one(2) goes all over the place.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

we brought our female cat with us and since then we've bought another one (male) (just couldnt bear to see it on its own in a tiny cage in the pet shop!!)

they are indoor cats at the moment, which our female cat has accepted quite well seeing as she used to be out all day every day in the UK, but we always got her in before dark.

now we have our own home we will be building a run so they can go outside as they please and get some fresh air, feel some grass under their paws without having to worry where they are or them killing the wildlife (she was a prolific hunter and he is showing signs of being the same!)

i have to say i was worried about bringing them as you hear all sorts of bull about how australians are cat haters, but i've yet to find one who hasnt loved cats. there are quite a few who let theirs roam around freely here too.

and as for quarantine, no worries on that score, they really look after them well and you can visit. as we were so far away (nearly 2 hour drive) we used to go up once a week but also phone a couple of times a week and they knew all the animals by name and could tell you how they were.

HTH
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:49 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
We are in a similar position, having decided not to take our two cats initially we are now having second thoughts... The three main issues that concern us are
The cats both hate being transported, they hate the car journey to the kennels or Vet (15 minutes max) and yowl and sometimes pant on the journey, the thought of 30 hours travelling and the stress they will have to endure is the main factor against. Both Cats are in great health but are 9 years old and one is a little overweight despite being on a strict diet. They are both outdoor cats so we are also a bit wary of the impact they might have on Aussie wildlife. I am taking them to the vets on Wednesday to ahve them assessed but i have a feeling that these doubts will increase and we will probably end up leaving them behind...Anyone else had cats that hated travelling? Do the transporters subdue the cats, the vet mentioned that this is not very effective for long journeys

Cheers
Just one word

FELIWAY. What a fantastic product. You can get a spray for thier basket and airwick type devices for the house, plug em in a week before you travel and spray some on the basket rug and in the crate............................................. ..........................
#

It is comfort spray, it has pheromones in it that make a cat stoned and feel as though its at home(hence plugging them in a week before)Stops them panicing and all the stress of move=ing and is all m=natural, no drugs involved i think. look em up on google

Available at all good vets (but buy on ebay as miles cheaper)

Our cats were the same and we moved em to london and back and in 3 other houses since and feliway just knocked em to a sleepy doze the whole time as we were packing.

good luck and my missus says if they snuff it in quarantine or the flight or the first week then it was worth it for her babies to be close to her!!

She went with golden arrow as was the most pro and they only take phone calls but are super efficient and are picking the cats up and full door to door service for about £2000 which is great as we have more to think about and the few hundred extra is worth it for someone else to do what they know best.

Theyve had nmany many great review on here.

al

Last edited by alkristensen; Feb 5th 2007 at 11:51 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:31 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit

I agree....Our 2 cats have always been indoor cats, and have never known anything else and have never suffered for it. The good thing about them coming over, is all the extra space they will have to run around in!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.