Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cat with kidney problems.....

Cat with kidney problems.....

Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

No Idea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cat with kidney problems.....

I have two Burmese cats.....exported from Oz in 2005 and plan to export them back in 2 months time. However one of them has just started displaying kidney problems. (Will be taking her to the vet tomorrow). Has anyone imported a cat with kidney problems before? IS it advisable? The vet here in France are not familiar with Burmese.....let alone exporting animals to OZ.

Cheers
Fi
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat with kidney problems.....

Hi

Can't help on exporting Burmese with kidney problems, but I am an expert on managing kidney problems in a Burmese cat!

We had two, one started with it when she was 16 and survived 2 years after diagnosis. The other cat (same age) survived until he was 21 3/4! In fact we kept putting off the move because he was then 18, looking back he would have been fine to export at that age.

If kidney problems are diagnosed get the vet to tell you how far gone the kidneys are. They usually class it by low, moderate or high. Even if it is moderate it can be managed quite successfully.

If they are both the same age then put them both on the special cat food for kidney problems. Don't feed them ordinary dried food as this makes the problem worse. Make sure they always have loads of water as they will drink more with the condition.

Other things to watch out for is high blood pressure which can lead to blindness. Our little girl had this so the vet put here on a mild blood pressure table to help keep it down but unfortunately it was too late, but it did help to stop it getting worse.

See if your vet has a tablet called Forticor - it's actually a heart table for dogs but because it thins the blood and helps push the blood around which helps the kidneys.

Burmese are lovely cats (I miss mine sooooo much sob sob) and they are very very hardy so with the right management then I'm sure they will be okay for a while.

Make sure you use a good pet exporter who will understand their needs if they have this condition. For more info look up websites http://www.vetinfo4cats.com and http://www.felinecrf.com/ and there is lots of advice on there.

It pays to be clued up as much as the vets on this!

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Kim