Cat Flaps

Old May 8th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat Flaps

We've got a big* one in our glass sliding laundry door - been there 2 years and hasn't collapsed. The builder installed it, so can't help with cost to install etc.

* Specified a big one as have a very fat cat. Unfortunately it turns out she's too daft to work it out. 4 year old son having lots of fun going back and fowards though!
Old May 8th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Family of 3
* Specified a big one as have a very fat cat. Unfortunately it turns out she's too daft to work it out. 4 year old son having lots of fun going back and fowards though!
Be careful of those midget burglars.
Old May 8th 2011, 11:52 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

We have a dog flap - installed not in the glass sliding door (which has very thick glass) - but in a floor level window beside the door. All we needed to do was get a glazier to cut the round hole in the window... the rest was easy.

It looks like this (but with a cuter dog!)
Old May 10th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I think we need to get a bird flap in the patio door.We were sitting at the table last night having dinner when my oh noticed marks on the glass.On close inspection we saw three imprints of where a bird had tried to fly through the door.We could see the image of his wings,feather and his head.Checked outside to see if we could see a bird with a sore neck,no sign.
Wouldnt mind but I only cleaned the glass the other day.
Old May 10th 2011, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for everyones advice.

We don't have a lower window round the back of the house so it looks like I will need new glass in the door [$$$] or a new locking screen door with a flap in it [$$$]

Maybe the moggies will have to wait for a while !
Old May 10th 2011, 6:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Thanks for everyones advice.

We don't have a lower window round the back of the house so it looks like I will need new glass in the door [$$$] or a new locking screen door with a flap in it [$$$]

Maybe the moggies will have to wait for a while !
It's quite easy (apparently) to put a cat flap in in screen door, previous owner did it in one of ours. It's just been riveted into one corner.
Old May 10th 2011, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Prudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
There are sliding door inserts you can get from tinternet and city farmers ... They lock into place and have a cat flap in them... Also come in dog flap sizes.. No worries with insurance with em
I've seen them in Bunnings too. Something like this this. Neat, but pricey.
Old May 10th 2011, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prudi
I've seen them in Bunnings too. Something like this this. Neat, but pricey.
For that amount of money I'd rather spend more and get a new screen door put in with security mesh and a flap - still a good idea though.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:29 am
Banned

knowlton is on a distinguished road

I read somewhere that a few years ago in the UK, there were a load of gangs employing midgets to go through cat flaps and burgle properties - so beware.

I was watching the gadget show the other day and you can get lock-able cat flaps which are activated by a RF chip that is placed on the cat's collar. Whilst I'm sure it wouldn't deter the most determined of burglars, I'm sure it would at least be a deterrent and at least stop other cats coming in!

I remember when our cat had five males coming in trying to woo her last month... at FIVE AM in the morning!!!!!!!!
Old May 10th 2011, 10:31 am
Banned

knowlton is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I think we need to get a bird flap in the patio door.We were sitting at the table last night having dinner when my oh noticed marks on the glass.On close inspection we saw three imprints of where a bird had tried to fly through the door.We could see the image of his wings,feather and his head.Checked outside to see if we could see a bird with a sore neck,no sign.
Wouldnt mind but I only cleaned the glass the other day.
Ha! We had the same problem at our old house in the UK that was quite high. Birds kept flying into the second floor window and you could see where they had hit it!

I think in the end we put masking tape in an 'X' shape for a while - eventually it stopped. We later observed that the birds were coming from trees opposite from which they created a nest.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a Magpie Lark (I think) move in and it sits on the seat of a bike leaning against our bedroom window. The seat must be about a foot from the glass but it sits there, flies into the window, turns and lands back on the seat. Does it about 10 times then flies off. Half an hour later it's back doing the same thing. The window is a mess, the cat is bemused - sits and watches and gets slightly bored but the bird must be mentally disturbed!
Old May 10th 2011, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We've had a Magpie Lark (I think) move in and it sits on the seat of a bike leaning against our bedroom window. The seat must be about a foot from the glass but it sits there, flies into the window, turns and lands back on the seat. Does it about 10 times then flies off. Half an hour later it's back doing the same thing. The window is a mess, the cat is bemused - sits and watches and gets slightly bored but the bird must be mentally disturbed!
Have you thought of moving the bike.
Old May 10th 2011, 12:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Have you thought of moving the bike.
What, and spoil our entertainment? Stupid bird
Old May 10th 2011, 12:16 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

We sealed ours up, it was less of a cat flap and more of a snake entrance.
Old May 10th 2011, 12:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
We sealed ours up, it was less of a cat flap and more of a snake entrance.
Very Freudian!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.