Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cat to Australia - DIY paperwork or not?

Cat to Australia - DIY paperwork or not?

Old Nov 10th 2011, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cat to Australia - DIY paperwork or not?

Hi everyone

I did a quick search of the forums but I couldn't find anything specifically answering my question, so I thought I'd see if anyone can help!

We are already living in Perth and my pet cat is with my parents in the UK still. Now we know we are staying (as we didn't know before) we are going to arrange for her to come out here with us.

Thanks to the new changes with rabies vaccinations, this is going to take a little longer than we thought - she was vaccinated this week and is due her blood test on the 4th of December, so far so good.

Now what I don't know is how easy it is to do all the paperwork yourself and pay the lower rate to the pet shipping companies or pay the higher amount and get them to sort it all out for us. I didn't know whether us already being here is going to make life hard doing the DIY route as I'm having to rely on my parents to do the leg work in speaking to the vets and sorting out things at their end.

I just wondered if anyone had done the paperwork themselves and how easy it is to do!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat to Australia - DIY paperwork or not?

Originally Posted by nicolac34
Hi everyone

I did a quick search of the forums but I couldn't find anything specifically answering my question, so I thought I'd see if anyone can help!

We are already living in Perth and my pet cat is with my parents in the UK still. Now we know we are staying (as we didn't know before) we are going to arrange for her to come out here with us.

Thanks to the new changes with rabies vaccinations, this is going to take a little longer than we thought - she was vaccinated this week and is due her blood test on the 4th of December, so far so good.

Now what I don't know is how easy it is to do all the paperwork yourself and pay the lower rate to the pet shipping companies or pay the higher amount and get them to sort it all out for us. I didn't know whether us already being here is going to make life hard doing the DIY route as I'm having to rely on my parents to do the leg work in speaking to the vets and sorting out things at their end.

I just wondered if anyone had done the paperwork themselves and how easy it is to do!
I did it for the Byford two... So it can't be THAT difficult... Saved myself a few quid .....
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolac34

I am a bit confused about this comment and what you are trying to do. If you want to get her over before the new regulations come in then all you need to do is get her on a plane before the new regulations come in. You don't need to do any vaccinations or blood tests.

If there is any reason why you cannot send her before the new regulations come in then you need to go through the rabies vaccinations but you would need to wait 6 months before you are able to import (to avoid excessive quarantine).

I brought two cats over, but we moved at quite short notice and preferred to pay a company to take care of everything for us so cannot comment on how easy it is to go it alone.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am a bit confused about this comment and what you are trying to do. If you want to get her over before the new regulations come in then all you need to do is get her on a plane before the new regulations come in. You don't need to do any vaccinations or blood tests.

If there is any reason why you cannot send her before the new regulations come in then you need to go through the rabies vaccinations but you would need to wait 6 months before you are able to import (to avoid excessive quarantine).

I brought two cats over, but we moved at quite short notice and preferred to pay a company to take care of everything for us so cannot comment on how easy it is to go it alone.
Due to the regs changing all Aus quarantine kennels are now full and not accepting any new critters until the new year, some pets going to Perth are being quarantined in Sydney?

I looked into DIY for my pooch and it seemed straight forward enough, as usuall with Aus you need a permit, that seems to be the biggest hurdle, the permit tells you what and when to do the bloods etc.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Yes, that would have been the ideal soloution - but as I haven't yet got a permit, and due to everyone trying to get their pets in before the 1st of January this is impossible. Permits are taking 20 working days to issue and all the flights out in December are fully booked. I've contacted about 5 different agencies and they are all telling me the same thing. So it's looking like May 2012 before we'll be able to fly her out as we don't want her to spend any longer than she has to in quarantine.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

As usual they change theyve goal posts since I did it... Thats fairly typical... Immigration and animal immigration is quite a mecurial area....