Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Casual Work - Should I be getting taxed?

Casual Work - Should I be getting taxed?

Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:32 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casual Work - Should I be getting taxed?

Tee hee ur naughty lol
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes a car can be claimed between two different jobs so can meals in certain circumstances. If you find yourself working at two different places, then you may be better of becoming self employed. Like I said you need an accountant to bounce these things off, or at the very least talk to the people you work with quickly.

The difference between a good accountant and a so so one is, a good one will ask questions about travelling and meals and other left of center claims that you never thought possible. Whereas a soso one will wait for you to point out things to them.

Your biggest claim should be your household expenses for your job I would think...... Hmmm you could actually possibly hide a cable tv connection with this.... wouldnt recommend it personally until I talked to peers though.

Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:39 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean I should keep EVERY payslip I'm ever given?!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Does this mean I should keep EVERY payslip I'm ever given?!
Nope as that will be your total income for the year.... you just need the end of year tax summary, which all employers should give you.

Watch where they are putting your superannuation as well.

Good accountants tend to know what envelope they can push and which ones to stay away from. It's almost like they have inside information as to what things are going to be targetted in any Audit. They wont put a claim in they aren't very sure about as it risks their whole client base getting audited. My one for instance tells me to do my big medicals every second year. IE: The wife can get her teeth fixed and I can get elective surgery after June 30th this year..... will also try to avoid paying for our sons teeth until that time as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 12th 2010 at 4:58 am.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:21 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Nope as that will be your total income for the year.... you just need the end of year tax summary, which all employers should give you.

Watch where they are putting your superannuation as well.

Good accountants tend to know what envelope they can push and which ones to stay away from. It's almost like they have inside information as to what things are going to be targetted in any Audit. They wont put a claim in they aren't very sure about as it risks their whole client base getting audited. My one for instance tells me to do my big medicals every second year. IE: The wife can get her teeth fixed and I can get elective surgery after June 30th this year..... will also try to avoid paying for our sons teeth until that time as well.
How'd u know all this, are u an accountant?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

How'd u know all this, are u an accountant?

I had serious issues with Centerlink an old accountant and how it was fixed by our new accountant about 7/8 years back.

All to do with family tax payments owing about 7,000 to 8,000 and having that reversed by another tax accountant that knew the Centerlink rules inside out.

Had a brilliant accountant years back.... but he was Carlton based and retired early due to stress from his customers.... mostly Italian and very Northern Subs Melb and all that goes with that.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 12th 2010 at 5:45 am.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:32 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Oh ok, excellent, well the OH is in the ADF so some of his mates are bound to be able to recommend someone good, fingers crossed! Thanks for all your help mate, karma earned and given!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 10:22 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember your 6k is pro rata if you're not here for the whole year. So if you're only here for 6 months of this tax year then you get 3k tax free.

On the other hand you still get LITO so you can probably earn up to $12k this year before you get taxed.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Vik2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dur, me silly! So, tell me, where am I gonna buy this Aussie Tax for Dum(asses)mies?
http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDet...=9781742168593
Old Mar 12th 2010, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Remember your 6k is pro rata if you're not here for the whole year. So if you're only here for 6 months of this tax year then you get 3k tax free.
Are you sure about that ?

What happens to redundancy packages if you take a large lump sum in July ?..... say 100 k ? or 25 years x 4 weeks pay ? Then you dont work for the rest of the financial year ?

Or are we only talking new migrants here ?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

Are you sure about that ?

What happens to redundancy packages if you take a large lump sum in July ?..... say 100 k ? or 25 years x 4 weeks pay ? Then you dont work for the rest of the financial year ?

Or are we only talking new migrants here ?
By not here I meant not tax resident. So people arriving and leaving rather than people not working.

I think Jen arrived last month so she won't get the full 6k allowance. It's not a big deal as LITO is not pro rata and the other tax rates are not pro rata so it works out better than it appears.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 12th 2010 at 8:58 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 10:18 pm
ABCDiamond

I bet my bloke can beat ABCD.... only because my bloke really hates the tax system and especially centerlink. It is so more complex than what it appears.
Don't bank on that
Although I will admit that I have forgotten such a lot these days....

I think it all came from my ancestry.... Mum worked for the IR, her GGF started the Halifax, and I have a working connection with Centrelink, and I hate red tape with a passion.

July was always the highlight of my year, when tax return time came around, and I could do what I really enjoy.

(PS: although legally able to claim, I have never got around to claiming sex toys as a tax deduction, there are limits that even I will not go past ...)

Old Mar 12th 2010, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

have a look here
http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxcal...ndard_hire.asp

as said above, each pay packet is based on if you earn that all year, so low pay one week and you may pay no tax at all (something like $200). I am casual and calculator is spot on each time, so Coles must use it as well !!

All gets sorted at end of the tax year
Old Mar 12th 2010, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Don't bank on that
Although I will admit that I have forgotten such a lot these days....

I think it all came from my ancestry.... Mum worked for the IR, her GGF started the Halifax, and I have a working connection with Centrelink, and I hate red tape with a passion.

July was always the highlight of my year, when tax return time came around, and I could do what I really enjoy.

(PS: although legally able to claim, I have never got around to claiming sex toys as a tax deduction, there are limits that even I will not go past ...)
Ah! Diamonds Lap Dancing Clubs. It all makes sense now.